Recalled/Assigned: Hutchinson Back Up, Kaskisuo Sent Down

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Acquiring a backup goalie isn't going to break the bank.

Yep.

Folks should calm down a bit here. The main obstacle is sorting out the cap, but thats not all that hard either.

No GM is going to say in an interview "were actively sesrching for player X" so not to tip negotiations

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
How much money is this back-up making? I'm assuming it's more than the amount you can hide in the AHL. What happens if Marner comes back and the back-up doesn't fit our system?

We only get one shot at the trade, whoever we get is the guy for the rest of the year even if he's worse than Hutch.
correct me if i am wrong, that back-up should be able to make around Hutchinson's $ + Marner's ltir $. What system??
At the end, Hutchinson will be hiding in AHL, and we will have Andersen + a 2M backup.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Kyle, there is only a pressing concern in this market when there is a pressing concern regarding the team. Everyone who follows the team seems to recognize the issue with our backup goaltending situation, and hopefully you do behind closed doors as well.

Of course he does, but he also has to play Hutch if he can't find a solution before Wednesday... He has to speak publicly in a manner to give his players support, and confidence.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
You are aware, that his save percentage is actually worse than Hutchinson's this year?
Yes but on Montreal, can't hurt to try and change the scenery and see what happens...it's no worse of a move than keeping Hutch.

Hutch for KK @ 50%

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yes but on Montreal, can't hurt to try and change the scenery and see what happens...it's no worse of a move than keeping Hutch.

Hutch for KK @ 50%

What exactly is in it for Montreal though?

Also, why make a move, on hopes and a prayer, that a struggling player, will suddenly come good?

To me, it makes more sense to find a player who is actually decent, and pay some sort of small premium for that, over hopes that a .875 SV% Dumpster Dive is going to make the difference.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
correct me if i am wrong, that back-up should be able to make around Hutchinson's $ + Marner's ltir $. What system??
At the end, Hutchinson will be hiding in AHL, and we will have Andersen + a 2M backup.

The issue is when marner's LTIR comes off you need to remove all the added salary too

A $2 mil backup would mean Leafs would be dressing like... 18 or 19 players... no matter what... that's even if you bury that backup in the minors.

Like they can't just move a man, they'd have to move a sizeable chunk of salary to accommodate a high priced backup... who may not even be as good as Hutchinson in the first place. This also ignores the leafs being at 49 contracts.

So, yeah. In this instance Dubas is quite right that you can't just will a trade here. They'll need a goalie around the same salary as hutch... be willing to take a contract... and it needs to be the right trade, too. Otherwise it'll just be lateral... possibly even worse.

Quality backups are difficult to find to begin with.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
If Hutchinson can’t get a win this week it’s time to move on. He’s had lots of chances and his play is one of the main reasons we don’t have a playoff spot locked in.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Even if Hutchinson gets a win by some miracle, we still need to find a legitimate option sooner than later. Whether we can is another story of course. Limited to the bargain bin and sometimes you get what you pay for.

Hopefully we can get some points out of him though since it's going to seriously hurt us going forward if we can't. The backup has to play a fair number of games just with the way the schedule works. Getting near zero points out of all those games puts even more pressure on Andersen to play more than he probably should.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We need to find a team that has a suitable backup to move.
And a team that needs something we can provide.

Minnesota Wild.
Alex Stalock. 15 games on struggling Minnesota team, 7 - 3 - 2.
2.67 GA and .912 SV% 32 years old.
Signed a 3 year contract worth 2.355 million. .785 year.
The Wild need forward talent.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
What exactly is in it for Montreal though?

Also, why make a move, on hopes and a prayer, that a struggling player, will suddenly come good?

To me, it makes more sense to find a player who is actually decent, and pay some sort of small premium for that, over hopes that a .875 SV% Dumpster Dive is going to make the difference.

I don't disagree with that approach. If that approach isn't available, no loss in trading Hutch out for KK @50% if the cap hits are similar.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Acquiring a backup goalie isn't going to break the bank.

There is no bank....that's the major issue. Once MM returns, we will need to cut 2 press box spots just to be compliant.

So we waive Hutch and his 700k and what does that leave us in the bank to acquire a competent back up? $1M more or less?

What or who do you get for that? And even if another team has this coveted asset, why do they let it go to a desperate KD for anything less than an overpay?

Fixing this problem properly is going to cost something of value unless they get extremely lucky.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Could Dubas be more wrong for trading away Sparks then actually keeping him last year over Curtis

Keeping Sparks over Curtis was the right move... it just didn't work out.

Moving Sparks, was the right move, he was done here, and no matter how he plays in the future, it wasn't going to work for him here. Note, Sparks has a 0.857 Save Percentage in his single NHL game this year, before being sent to the AHL, where as per normal, he's doing quite well. Looks like a good AHL career goalie at this point, unless later in his career, he can remake his mental game.

Hopefully the next move works out.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I think the Leafs are insane if they go back to Hutchinson on Wednesday. Am I crazy to say that Kaskisou looked way better than Hutchinson ever did this season even though the Leafs didn't show up that game? Unlike Hutch, Kaskisou actually deserves another shot.

I'm generally a Dubas fan, but sticking with Hutch for yet another game is a pretty significant failure imo.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think the Leafs are insane if they go back to Hutchinson on Wednesday. Am I crazy to say that Kaskisou looked way better than Hutchinson ever did this season even though the Leafs didn't show up that game? Unlike Hutch, Kaskisou actually deserves another shot.

I'm generally a Dubas fan, but sticking with Hutch for yet another game is a pretty significant failure imo.
You'd like to think a new Backup will be obtained before the Christmas freeze.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
No more chance for KK?
He played like horse bleep on Sunday when the brass came out to see him at Coca Cola .... f*ck we have no backup anywhere here and against Avs I would go double up with Freddy ... sorry I know I will get my head cut off here but we can't just accept another loss

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Frankly, I'm hoping that Freddy is starting tonight in Philly to give Dubas the extra day to find a new backup. Having Colorado roll through against our backup is a recipe for disaster and we cannot afford to cough up points.

We need a backup and we need one before 7pm tomorrow night. Don't waste the season by being stingy in trading for a backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad