Husso

Where do we go from here?

• Lyon starter, Husso backup

• Lyon starter, Reimer backup, Husso needs a sitdown

• Reimer starter, Lyon backup, Husso needs a sitdown

• Reimer starter, Husso backup

• Keep rotating all three

• Give Ville the chance to redeem himself right away, he’s the best of the trio

Results are only viewable after voting.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I live in STL. All my friends are Blues fans. They all had the reaction of "You can have him!" when we traded for Husso. Maybe they were right.
They didn't know schit.

Binnington last 2 seasons:
- 35 wins, .897 sv%

Husso last 2 seasons:
- 34 wins, .894 sv%

No difference. And they have the SUPERSTAR goalie they are paying more.

The main problen in NHL fanbases is that NHL scoring is currently exeptionally high thanks to new hockey generation, and goalies look worse than in the past mostly in all the teams.

And people need scapegoats to blaim for their bad fewlings, and goalie is easiest to pick.

Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Same thing happened with Ned IIRC
Basically, yeah. Good start with Detroit, and then the wheels fell off. Goalies are such head cases, it's pretty annoying. Good thing there aren't any goalies on this forum and we're free to point out how awful they all are.

88pg5k.jpg

Attachments

• 88pg5k.jpg
    88pg5k.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I think that's 15 straight home games now with 3+ goals allowed?

At this point, I'd be happy if we went .500 with him the rest of the way. Clearly one of the biggest threats to our playoff chances

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That’s factually incorrect, look at the numbers. Reimer and Lyon play behind the same meh defense.

Husso .891
Reimer .917
Lyon .947

Husso is the only one of the three who plays below league average.
I would expect the numbers to be closer together when normalized for level of opponents. But I would still expect to see Lyon outperforming the others.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I don't trust any of them so i'd keep playing all three, might as well at least have a fresh Goalie every night if you can't have a good one

Husso should definitely stop getting the most starts though, Lyon should take over that role for now

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Went with the second option. Whether it be the new edition in his house, a injury, or a mix of these two and possibly more he needs a break to settle himself and get back in form. If we have 3 goalies right now, why not give him maybe just a game over the next 2 weeks and let him recharge and hope that fixes the situation. It is a error to carry depth and not use it. And we have two goalies performing to expectations so let the third get right.

Reactions: Winged Wheel Willy
without getting into how they were outplayed in general....

three 2-on-1s, one breakaway and one 2-on-0 and your takeaway is the goalie got torched?

Tho it could’ve been even worse and the team defended like ass, I usually consider giving up 6 goals „torched“. I expect an nhl starter to stop at least 1 of the 2-on-1s, also breakaways shouldn’t be treated like automatic goals. Shooting % in shootouts is like 35% I think, so he failed there also. And the late tying goal is a result of him going in the butterfly too early. I’m not trying to get on you, but to me it’s unfathomable that we are trying to make excuses for someone who has sucked pretty much all year and just gave up 6 goals. If your team scores 5, especially at home, that ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS has to be enough for your goalie to seal the deal. Wrote in the OP that the team has bailed out Husso at least half a dozen times. He has not returned the favor. Not good enough!

Last edited:

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I think it was wrong just handing him the starting job. He didn't finish last season in a manner that earned him that. Maybe he thrives best as a backup.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Tho it could’ve been even worse and the team defended like ass, I usually consider giving up 6 goals „torched“. I expect an nhl starter to stop at least 1 of the 2-on-1s, also breakaways shouldn’t be treated like automatic goals. Shooting % in shootouts is like 35% I think, so he failed there also. And the late tying goal is a result of him going in the butterfly too early. I’m not trying to get on you, but to me it’s unfathomable that we are trying to make excuses for someone who has sucked pretty much all year and just gave up 6 goals. If your team scores 5, especially at home, that ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS has to be enough for your goalie to seal the deal. Wrote in the OP that the team has bailed out Husso at least half a dozen times. He has not returned the favor. Not good enough!
Not that it changes the discussion, but on the late tying goal he went down because there was a deflection (you can hear it plainly on the replays) that led to it going off the boards and plus Mo gave away inside position to two Sharks. I don't disagree that Husso needs to be better, but the D bears a large part of the responsibility of keeping the puck out of the net and positionally working with the goalie. Sure you could argue that he should have stopped one or two of those, but there is no argument that he was clearly hung out to dry on all but the tying goal.

I don't think punishing your goalie for team failures is the path to success. We've seen this same story for years. I also don't think it would lead to more consistency because the D have to learn how to play with each goalie individually. I can all but guarantee the other goalies percentages would regress in bigger roles too because they would be more effectively scouted against. In particular, Lyons' style is much more aggressive and high risk in pushing out to challenge the puck carrier.

I don't love Husso, but he is not an island and I do believe we need to pick a horse and ride it for the whole team's benefit. As such, I am inclined to give him a long leash and work on the D for now.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't love Husso, but he is not an island and I do believe we need to pick a horse and ride it for the whole team's benefit. As such, I am inclined to give him a long leash and work on the D for now.
You make some valid points. But last year they did exactly what you suggest and he was mediocre then as well.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
You make some valid points. But last year they did exactly what you suggest and he was mediocre then as well.
And yet, everyone loudly complained how shit our D was last year. The difference now is that we suddenly have offense and the shit tag gets hung on the goalie. I just don't think you can substitute another goalie in and not have them turn to shit as well.

I'd rather give protected starts/minutes to goalies we see a longer future with so we don't waste their asset value or thoroughly burn them out and have nothing when the D starts to play better. I'm perfectly fine burning out Husso.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
And yet, everyone loudly complained how shit our D was last year. The difference now is that we suddenly have offense and the shit tag gets hung on the goalie. I just don't think you can substitute another goalie in and not have them turn to shit as well.

I'd rather give protected starts/minutes to goalies we see a longer future with so we don't waste their asset value or thoroughly burn them out and have nothing when the D starts to play better. I'm perfectly fine burning out Husso.

D can't make Husso stop any shot to his glove side going in. The first goal last night should be stopped regardless it if was a 3 on 0, 2 on 1 or whatever as it was a crappy shot by Hertl, which got the ball rolling. He lets at least one bad goal in every game, and lately it is 2-3 bad ones per game. Teams can play around goals against, not bad goals against being a regular occurrence.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Let's just say I haven't had a Wings goalie I thought was worthy of buying a jersey for since Osgood.

Like with Ned, I had optimism that Husso would take the reins with an expanded role and become a solid starter. Unfortunately that hasn't materialized and we're still playing goalie roulette while we wait patiently for Cossa to get his chance.

The most damning thing for Husso last night was his immediate frustration after missing the breakaway save. At that point the Wings still had the lead and things weren't panic time yet but you could immediately sense from Husso that he was feeling the frustration of this season, not just that game, in the moment. And that is an absolute killer to your mental game.

At that point in the game I want to see my goalie shrugging and going "Eh shit happens, they got lucky, we're in control."

Instead I saw, "Holy f*** nothing is going my way!" as he slammed his stick to the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad