Husso

Where do we go from here?

• Lyon starter, Husso backup

• Lyon starter, Reimer backup, Husso needs a sitdown

• Reimer starter, Lyon backup, Husso needs a sitdown

• Reimer starter, Husso backup

• Keep rotating all three

• Give Ville the chance to redeem himself right away, he’s the best of the trio

Results are only viewable after voting.
He has deserved his own thread at this point. Took a closer look at Husso’s numbers and came away even more disgusted than I thought. Game logs:

45E0B6B7-8268-4758-894F-849190E2183F.png

43C7F5C9-511A-4E01-A32A-5340D820DE2B.png

Every f***in time, except for one NYR game, when Husso has given the boys an above average performance they have given him the necessary run support: 3x.

In turn, the boys have bailed out Husso several times, when he was at <.904 (average SV%), and got a point or even a W: 6x.

Let’s just take the games in which he has given up 3 or more - god forbid just giving up 2 - which means that the team had to score 4, so above league average, to net point/s: 12 out of 14 starts.

Short and sweet: So far he has failed his teammates.

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
He's not been good all year. It's been noticeable from the start that he'll give up a really weak goal at least once a game now.

Idk, who'd really want him right now either. Lyon/Reimer look to be the best duo right now and prior to the start of the season I would have never put either over Husso.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Think he should play only road games.

Husso just got his first child, and I've seen in the past, that that kind of big change in family, will affect negatively for goalies.

I've got my first kid a while ago, and started totally understand this. I work from home, and the kid is near there too. Yelling etc. Tough to concentrate at work.

Maybe the kid does keep Husso awake at nights... who knows. Everyone who has had a child knows this ain't easy.

Teemu Selänne once said, how he loved road trips, because he got some hotel time just for himself, off from his 4-kid family. He said that he played better on road games, thanks to better concentration, can concentrate 100% only for games. No any kind of "disturbance" around, like you young kids could be.

I think this mental side and concentration is MAJOR factor for goalies, if you lose something, you once had. Husso has to figure that out.

If Husso continues to struggle, I have no problem going with Lyon/Reimer, Alex as the starter.

What comes to Sharks games, 5/6 goals against were abysmal plays from the players. Only the first one was weak from Husso. But our leading players, Larkin, Seider, Walman played like idiots.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Think he should play only road games.

Husso just got his first child, and I've seen in the past, that that kind of big change in family, will affect negatively for goalies.

I've got my first kid a while ago, and started totally understand this. I work from home, and the kid is near there too. Yelling etc. Tough to concentrate at work.

Maybe the kid does keep Husso awake at nights... who knows. Everyone who has had a child knows this ain't easy.

Teemu Selänne once said, how he loved road trips, because he got some hotel time just for himself, off from his 4-kid family. He said that he played better on road games, thanks to better concentration, can concentrate 100% only for games. No any kind of "disturbance" around, like you young kids could be.

I think this mental side and concentration is MAJOR factor for goalies, if you lose something, you once had. Husso has to figure that out.

If Husso continues to struggle, I have no problem going with Lyon/Reimer, Alex as the starter.

What comes to Sharks games, 5/6 goals against were abysmal plays from the players. Only the first one was weak from Husso. But our leading players, Larkin, Seider, Walman played like idiots.

The first goal against San Jose was awful, but goals 2 through 4 were stoppable by an average goalie. 5 and 6 I don’t fault him for.

The guy needs to be scratched until he can clear his head. He has been very, very bad.

Reactions: sepster

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
> means "larger than".

He hasn't been good. I agree Lyon should get more starts (which is he getting). "Failed his teammates" is a bit harsh though. Maybe they should stop giving up multiple breakways and 2-on-1s if they want him to save more shots.

Husso has been giving up at least one bad goal a game and is letting in many others that are just stoppable. As the starting goalie he is letting his teammates down.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Husso has been giving up at least one bad goal a game and is letting in many others that are just stoppable. As the starting goalie he is letting his teammates down.
It's a BOTH/AND scenario. But the means to address Husso's share of the blame is much simpler.

To be clear, I think Lalonde needs to be called out and the whole roster should do a zillion wind sprints for that turd of a game against the Sharks. But for his part of this mess, Husso should at minimum be capped at one of every three games until he shows he's good enough to play any more than that.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He's not been good all year. It's been noticeable from the start that he'll give up a really weak goal at least once a game now.

Idk, who'd really want him right now either. Lyon/Reimer look to be the best duo right now and prior to the start of the season I would have never put either over Husso.
I’ve always been a believer of Lyon being the backup. He was great last season for Florida and they don’t make the post season without him.

Thought Husso would have been a lot better this season with a reduced workload but he’s looked pretty terrible.

Run Lyon more, keep Husso around hoping he finds his game and ship Reimer off to one of the teams in desperate need of goaltending while his value may be at its highest

Reactions: Snuggs and Go Wings

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think you start Lyon for the time being given he's been the best of the bunch. Reimer seems to be doing well with spot starts so he may be best as your backup. Work on getting Husso back on track in case Lyon goes through a rough spell.

I am glad we have three goalies, there don't seem to be many great ones across the league so addressing the position with numbers seems like a good way to go.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Husso tricked everyone when he played well and put up good number during his first couple months with Detroit, and then a few gems in the middle third of that season. That seems to have given him a lot of rope. He's been below league average ever since then, for nearly a calendar year now.

Here's his monthly splits since he came to Detroit (statistically, this isn't the best way to demonstrate my point, but it's quick and gives you a snapshot at least):

.926 (Oct '22)
.900 (Oct '23)

.894 (overall SV% as a Red Wing)

To drive the point home, Husso's best 8-game stretch as a Red Wing was his first 8 games with the club. When you remove those, his overall SV% as a Red Wing drops to .887.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Time to give Lyon the net and let him run with it. I love high-tempo offensive hockey, and I love that our players are putting up points, but I would love nothing more to watch us play some good D, get some good goaltending, and win a couple games without allowing 4 goals.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Think right now its Alex's net to lose. After that I don't know, Reimer scares me and Husso hasn't been great.

NHL goaltending sucks and fans have yet to adapt mentally. Toss Lyon a few more starts and keep Reimer in the rotation if possible and start to realize that anything around .900 is acceptable goaltending these days.

Agreed.

It's crazy how save percentages are down this year. But even with that Husso has not been good.

Easy Lyon into the starter role and then hope either Reimer or Husso can play well as a backup.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Would be nice to see this team win a 2-1 game, just to show they can do it.

Can't do that with Husso right now.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Husso is neither a wild west goalie ala Hasek/Mrazek or a solid technical goalie. He is letting in at least 1 week goal a game, gives up rebounds on well over 50% of the shots that hit him, and doesn't have a clutch gene in his body.

Lyon and Reimer have both out performed him this season and he needs to sit for a bit. Maybe giving him some time to adjust to the new baby, get the odd road start, and refocus mentally will help him.

We need a goalie right now that doesn't basically ensure the other team scores 3. We may be riding and offensive high right now but we will go through stretches were we need to be able to win a game 3-1,3-2,2-1, etc. I have no faith that Husso can do that right now.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
In order for Detroit to take the next step and make the playoffs they're going to need reliable goaltending..

What happens in Dallas, Toronto, NY, Colorado is irrelevant.. those are clubs who can overcome below average goaltending during the regular season.

Whether its Lyon or someone else via a trade, it won't be Husso, we need a goalie who can make the key save at the right time to save a win..

Right now, well for almost a year, Husso lets in too many of the wrong goals. He dosent need to make the highlight reel saves he just cant ever let in the softies.. maybe that's not fair to him but it's the truth..

I hope SY is looking hard at his options

Reactions: Snuggs

Satrebil

Aug 3, 2006
Michigan
Since the latter part of last season, Husso's been on a downward trajectory. Wings needs to address their goaltending issues. Lyon is the hot hand, but doesn't had the bona fides to be a long term solution.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld
Husso tricked everyone when he played well and put up good number during his first couple months with Detroit, and then a few gems in the middle third of that season. That seems to have given him a lot of rope. He's been below league average ever since then, for nearly a calendar year now.

Here's his monthly splits since he came to Detroit (statistically, this isn't the best way to demonstrate my point, but it's quick and gives you a snapshot at least):

.926 (Oct '22)
.900 (Oct '23)

To drive the point home, Husso's best 8-game stretch as a Red Wings was his first 8 games with the club. When you remove those, his overall SV% as a Red Wing drops to .887.

Thx. In addition, just did some quick math. If Husso would’ve been just absolute league average to this point, then we’d have roughly 10GA less. Looking at the game logs; those could’ve helped…

Reactions: jaster

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Without being "in the room," I don't know what the solution is with our goaltending.

On one hand, having three goalies is not a good thing for any individual goalie. There's not enough ice to go around to keep all three as sharp as they could be, and it's likely extra mentally tough on them too.

On the other hand, we don't have two guys who have separated themselves from the third, so getting rid of one right now is a risk.

In terms of making the playoffs, the margin of error for Detroit is small, so I don't think they can afford to keep tossing Husso out there every other game in the hopes he becomes an average goalie. Lean on Lyon, hope that continues to go well until it doesn't, and hope Husso and Reimer can combine to be an effective backup. "Hope" is doing a lot of work in those plans, but I'm not sure Detroit has much of a choice, unless they make a trade for a better goalie.

Reactions: jkutswings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

.926 (Oct '22)
.900 (Oct '23)

To drive the point home, Husso's best 8-game stretch as a Red Wing was his first 8 games with the club. When you remove those, his overall SV% as a Red Wing drops to .887.
Same thing happened with Ned IIRC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad