GDT: Hurricanes vs Ottawa: The Return of the Trap Game

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Has a team done that this year? I know San Jose has given up 10 a few times, but I don't think they were shutout in the process
Sharks lost 10-1 and 10-2 to the Canucks and Pens, respectively. Wild beat the Canucks 10-7. The worst shutout was 7-0, which has happened 4 times this season; TB over Phi, Buffalo over LA, Pens over Isles, and VGK over Avs.

We have had 9-2 occur three times and 8-1 occur four times this season.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Only problem with those games is our offense is usually so dysfunctional that even 1 GA feels like a mountain to climb, but if we're in the lead it doesn't feel very safe at all.

This what fans worry about because we see it happen in a particular game and think it's a bigger deal than it is, but it doesn't really reflect reality. Since Dec 12th (41G so a full 1/2 of the season), here's where Carolina stands:

5v5 GF/60: 7th best in the NHL
Goal/GP (all situations): 6th best in the NHL
PP%: 2nd best in the NHL

5v5 GA/GP: 5th best in the NHL
GA/GP (all situations): 2nd best in the NHL
PK%: Best in the NHL

Regulation wins: 24 (best in the NHL)
ROW: 27 (best in the NHL)
Points %: .744 (best in the NHL)

Win % when leading after the 1st period: .875 (5th best in the NHL)
Wins when leading after 1st period: 14 (2nd best in the NHL)
Win % when leading after the 2nd period: .905 (8th best in the NHL)
Wins when leading after the 2nd period: 19 (3rd best in the NHL)

Win % when trailing after 1P: .400 (7th best in the NHL) - sample size of only 10 games trailing after 1P
Win % when trailing after 2P: .333 (3rd best in the NHL) - sample size of only 6 games trailing after 2P

We are one of the better teams at winning after leading in the 1st or 2nd and we are one of the better teams at winning when trailing after the 1st or 2nd.

We are a team that scores a lot of goals and doesn't give up a lot of goals.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
This what fans worry about because we see it happen in a particular game and think it's a bigger deal than it is, but it doesn't really reflect reality. Since Dec 12th (41G so a full 1/2 of the season), here's where Carolina stands:

Win % when trailing after 1P: .400 (7th best in the NHL) - sample size of only 10 games trailing after 1P
Win % when trailing after 2P: .333 (3rd best in the NHL) - sample size of only 6 games trailing after 2P

We are one of the better teams at winning after leading in the 1st or 2nd and we are one of the better teams at winning when trailing after the 1st or 2nd.

Wait? You didn't include our winning percentage when winning after third period.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Oh I don't disagree in the least, but we still have "those games" where you can just tell it's gonna be a struggle on the score sheet and 1 goal is devastating. Of course you can have a 3-0 lead and lose 5-3, which is also devastating. It was more just a comment on the 1-0 vs 5-4 games, both have their pros/cons in terms of offense and defense, which are the "better" games. Is it more frustrating to give up 5 goals in a game and lose 5-4 or score 0 and lose 1-0? Does it feel better to win 5-4 or win 1-0? Over the whole season most teams are gonna be in the 4:3 or 3:4 ratio of goals scored

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'd rather be the team that can score 7 and only give up 2
640972e9-744a-4cd5-a3a0-1a008dc52de2_text.gif

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
Nashville is fun to go to. My sister and I have a Sibling Rivalry series. I go to Nashville and she comes here. The Preds fans have always been nice.
I lived in Nashville for 2 years and can honestly say the in-game environment is way better than Raleigh. Not to mention the location of the arena (walking right out to front on to Broadway) makes going to a game even more fun. I miss that place

Reactions: skipnjump

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I lived in Nashville for 2 years and can honestly say the in-game environment is way better than Raleigh. Not to mention the location of the arena (walking right out to front on to Broadway) makes going to a game even more fun. I miss that place
Nashville was a fun visit, but I really didn't care for it all that much. Broadway is all commercialized and with how much it's growing/new construction downtown, etc...It seems to have lost much of it's character and personality. I get that there are areas the locals know that tourists don't get to, but that was just the vibe I got from it. I agree the downtown arena is nice though for a visitor.

I guess the same/similar could be said for Raleigh though in terms of lack of character, but my expectations were much higher for Nashville.

Would have been cool to see a show at the Ryman though, never had a chance.

Reactions: skipnjump

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad