Prospect Info: Hurricanes Prospect Info and Discussion - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
one of my friends is trying out for AAA hockey, freshman in highschool, goalie, would be cool if we drafted him in the future. hes a devils fan tho and i would hope we solved our goaltending problem by then
My son has a friend, Tyler Weiss, who is from Raleigh, is draft eligible, and has committed to BU next season.

Not a world beater but still pretty cool. Stats are here.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Wasn't Elyniuk the guy that they signed to an ATO in Charlotte after his Jr. season ended last year, but he never played a game and they released him from it? Or am I mis-remembering?
I believe you are correct. He does, however, seem like the type of guy we'd give some sort of chance to...so there's likely something there. I do seem to recall some chatter about his lack of hockey sense....this just seems curious.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Jake Bean with 1st star last night after scoring 3 assists in a 5-3 win.

Bean leads the WHL D in total Playoff points and points per game right now with 1-13-14 in 8 GP.

Geekie with another goals and2 assists up to 15-9-24 in 8 games.

They get Carter Hart next in all likelihood, or potentially Brendan De Jong and the Portland Winterhawks. May have to wait until April 19th to get that series going though.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
The whl record for most playoff points in a season is 53 set back in 1984.

Second place is a tie at 46 points with our old buddy Pavel Brendl hitting that mark in 1999. Brad Moran had 42 that year and since then no one has been higher than 37.

Take a look through the lists. It’s pretty interesting to see how he compares to some guys recently who went on to successful nhl careers. Draisaitl had 28 in 19 in his final year, for example.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

Second place is a tie at 46 points with our old buddy Pavel Brendl hitting that mark in 1999. Brad Moran had 42 that year and since then no one has been higher than 37.

Take a look through the lists. It’s pretty interesting to see how he compares to some guys recently who went on to successful nhl careers. Draisaitl had 28 in 19 in his final year, for example.

Cam Ward has a bunch of the WHL goalie playoff records.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

How about goals though? I think he may have a chance at breaking that record? But it's not helping that they keep sweeping their series lol.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
It appears to be Blair Chapman with 24 goals in 20 games

The only guys from the past 20 years near the top of the list are Brendl with 21 in 20 and former hurricane great Ty Rattie with 20 in 21.

Also, Taylor Hall had 21 in 23 back in 1984 for Regina. Not bad for being -7 years old. That’s gotta be some kind of age group record.

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
Don’t think it’s been said yet but if I missed it I apologize.

Goals in 8 straight playoff games for Geekie is a whl record.

Red Wings board (Under the Rasmussen thread) brought up Geekie. One guy jokingly said trade a 2nd to the Canes for him and 2 others seemed to say his value has gone up too high for that, one guy suggesting he has 1st round value (Obviously not the value of the actual top 5 pick the Wings will have). I feel prospects who get on hot streaks get overrated so quickly on these boards. Still impressive what he is doing, however.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Are you watching any of the highlights? He’s been pretty good around the net but I haven’t seen a ton of dominating play. He doesn’t look to have amazing hands or a crazy shot, he’s been in the right place at the right time a lot. A skill in itself but I wouldn’t put much into this yet. Looks like a grinder in the nhl.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
take this with a grain of salt as i speak from a position of severe ignorance, but I'm glad that he is putting up points with hockey sense rather than a plus nhl tool. at that level, a guy can dominate teenagers because he's fast or has a good shot or hands, but doesnt have NHL instincts. The most extreme example is Yakupov. i guess I'm tired of watching low hockey iq guys try to play for this team. bring on geekie the saviour!

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Outside chance. I'd say he's more likely to start the year in the AHL slow-building to being ready they way they did Fleury and McKeown.
I think I would prefer him to play full season down there as well, to get used to professional hockey and stuff, but if he is really good it would be a great addition to our roster, especially for power play.

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
He's probably already the best pp guy we have currently, so that could give him a bit of an edge, but I'm guessing the rest of his game needs a lot of work in the minors before he's a regular.

“Reasons we’d add Marc-Ande Bergeron.. reasons to model a franchise after Detroit... umm... reasons we should’ve drafted Charlie Mc - OH! THINGS WE SAID ABOUT RYAN MURPHY!”

“YOU’VE JUST WON $100,000 PYRAMID!”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad