Prospect Info: Hurricanes Prospect Info and Discussion - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Mckowen is good about the little things but can improve on the bigger things that are easy to improve on. Portouski i thought was a mistake signing but now he is a huge point man. His passing is some of the best i've ever seen his handles is to die for and is a treat to watch. His handles aren't highlight reel but is awesome.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you get to see them in person in Charlotte? Or are you basing this on what others have stated? No problem either way, just curious.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. Do you get to see them in person in Charlotte? Or are you basing this on what others have stated? No problem either way, just curious.

Are you just having fun with the guy, or are you serious? I can't tell if we're all being leveled in a very polite way...

Reactions: sheriff bart

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Are you just having fun with the guy, or are you serious? I can't tell if we're all being leveled in a very polite way...

:laugh: No, this time I'm serious. Whenever someone provides feedback on our prospects, I like to know what it's based on. Not to be a dick or anything, just to put it in perspective since most of us rarely get to see them play.

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina

its a mix of both. they played a couple of their games on the nhl channel like the chl games and also some feedback from a couple of people of people ik that have season tickets to the canes but go to the checkers games about 6 times a year + a few sometimes

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
its a mix of both. they played a couple of their games on the nhl channel like the chl games and also some feedback from a couple of people of people ik that have season tickets to the canes but go to the checkers games about 6 times a year + a few sometimes

More importantly, are you doing all this while in your English class. Gotta keep those grades up dude.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Surprised he was able to setup two accounts, with having to re-type your password for confirmation twice and all. :sarcasm:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
With the NCAA season starting to draw to a close, has anyone heard anything about potential UDFA signings? I know Francis likes his NCAA players. I'm hoping Justin Kloos gets an offer from us.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I'm finding it hard to get excited for college free agents since none of them have ever panned out for us iirc. Only guys we've signed are Babin, Welsh and Poturalski I believe. Can't hurt to keep trying though I guess.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I'm finding it hard to get excited for college free agents since none of them have ever panned out for us iirc. Only guys we've signed are Babin, Welsh and Poturalski I believe. Can't hurt to keep trying though I guess.

Patrick Brown was signed out of BC.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

Patrick Brown too, but that only adds to the point. The Canes were heavy in on Torey Krug but lost him to the Bruins. I believe he attended a prospect camp here the year before he signed with the Bruins and we offered him but he wanted to stay in school another year. We lost David Clarkson in a similar way, but I don't believe we offered Clarkson.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

Didn't Welsh set a record with us? Highest cap hit ever? That's gotta count for something.

I don't expect to get one of the few college FAs that becomes something, but one, you never know, and two, it's never bad to have extra bodies for Charlotte.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Didn't Welsh set a record with us? Highest cap hit ever? That's gotta count for something.

I don't expect to get one of the few college FAs that becomes something, but one, you never know, and two, it's never bad to have extra bodies for Charlotte.

Andrew Poturalski leading the Checkers in scoring....in his first full professional season, is something that I'm pretty excited about. He may never be a star, or even a full-time NHL'er, but that was a very good signing. Low risk, high potential reward.

Reactions: Unsustainable

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
Jake Bean update:

The Hitmen are down 0-2 in their playoff series against the Pats. They got beat handily in both games. I didn't get a chance to watch either game because they're only being broadcast for free in Saskatchewan and I didn't feel like paying the $8 whlLive charges per game for a crappy feed out of Regina.

However, based on the highlights, I got to see most of the scoring chances (both ways), and all of the goals. In what I was able to watch, Bean looked tired. He was making uncharacteristic mistakes and was out of position more than I'm used to seeing. I also counted 3 different defensive partners for him on goals against, which could indicate that he's being double shifted, or that the coach keeps switching the pairings, or that the Hitmen really suck at line changes. Regardless, it's tough on him to be switching all the time.

I'll have a better update Wednesday and Friday after the Hitmen play their two home games. For anyone interested in watching, the WHL does live stream every game (you have to pay for it, approx $8CAD/game), and the feed out of Calgary is one of the best in the league.

I would imagine that Bean's season will be done Thursday or Sunday. I really don't see Calgary getting past Game 5. You guys would know the AHL rules and Checkers(?) lineup better than me, but given how early Bean is going to be done, I could definitely see him being a candidate to make the late-season jump up to the AHL.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Jake Bean update:

The Hitmen are down 0-2 in their playoff series against the Pats. They got beat handily in both games. I didn't get a chance to watch either game because they're only being broadcast for free in Saskatchewan and I didn't feel like paying the $8 whlLive charges per game for a crappy feed out of Regina.

However, based on the highlights, I got to see most of the scoring chances (both ways), and all of the goals. In what I was able to watch, Bean looked tired. He was making uncharacteristic mistakes and was out of position more than I'm used to seeing. I also counted 3 different defensive partners for him on goals against, which could indicate that he's being double shifted, or that the coach keeps switching the pairings, or that the Hitmen really suck at line changes. Regardless, it's tough on him to be switching all the time.

I'll have a better update Wednesday and Friday after the Hitmen play their two home games. For anyone interested in watching, the WHL does live stream every game (you have to pay for it, approx $8CAD/game), and the feed out of Calgary is one of the best in the league.

I would imagine that Bean's season will be done Thursday or Sunday. I really don't see Calgary getting past Game 5. You guys would know the AHL rules and Checkers(?) lineup better than me, but given how early Bean is going to be done, I could definitely see him being a candidate to make the late-season jump up to the AHL.

Too young....

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Too young....

Don't believe that's an issue for end of year professional try outs. I don't know the exact rule but I know of players who haven't met the age criteria who have finished the season in the ahl. Nic Roy got a few games with Charlotte last year and just turned 20 two months ago.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I would imagine as long as he's healthy or not way too gassed, they will likely have him on an ATO in Charlotte at the end of the year. They can use all the help they can get trying to secure a playoff spot. They may pick and choose how much he gets in with the games being so important though.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Jake Bean update:

He was drafted by Carolina....he better get used to that. It's Peters past time to institute random line and pairing changes, mid game even.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad