Hurricanes Owner Rips Rutherford and Pens

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
One of the AGMs did not like SD to the point where last year was nothing more than "build enough value for Simon Despres so that we can get him the **** off the roster."

At no point in time last year did that assessment change. He was never going to move up the lineup. He was never going to earn a spot on the roster for the long term.

I cannot confirm, this is total speculation, but I've read, SOMEWHERE, I can't remember where, that the coaching staff was caught off guard by the trade and they definitely did not push for it. That is not information I sourced, I can't remember where I read that, but I definitely did read it.

I feel like that was a nugget in a DK story. I definitely remember reading something to that effect, too.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I feel like that was a nugget in a DK story. I definitely remember reading something to that effect, too.

That's possible. I honestly get multiple PMs per week where people are telling me they "heard" something, or they want me to verify a rumor, etc.. So sometimes I get mixed up.

Wherever I read it, I can't confirm it, but I've definitely read it, and it jives with what I do now.

The only thing you could really say about Despres and Jim Rutherford is that, in the 8 months he was here, Despres didn't impress him (or anyone) to the point that they were willing to die on that hill.

The 3 months after the trade are a different story.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
Now, I don't hate JR for the Despres move, because IT WASN'T HIS ****ING CALL. He got the return, yes, but he was under the gun and had to move Despres for a Dman who fit under the cap in 12 hours. Given the restraints he was under, it's not a shock he only got Ben ****ing Lovejoy. It sucks that he made the move, but the move was going to be made, with or without him.

Thanks for the info. Your right about the first part but seeing as how it wasn't even his call and the circumstances he was under to make the move I for one have more faith in JR going forward.

Trepanated

Jan 11, 2007
One of the AGMs did not like SD to the point where last year was nothing more than "build enough value for Simon Despres so that we can get him the **** off the roster."

At no point in time last year did that assessment change. He was never going to move up the lineup. He was never going to earn a spot on the roster for the long term.

I'm not doubting your story, in fact it explains a lot. But it seems strange to combine this with what you said about GMJR only having 12 hours to put a deal together. If it was always they plan to trade him, why didn't they clue the GM in sooner?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm not doubting your story, in fact it explains a lot. But it seems strange to combine this with what you said about GMJR only having 12 hours to put a deal together. If it was always they plan to trade him, why didn't they clue the GM in sooner?

I guess the "12hr" bit is a tad sensationalistic, but if you can manage to go through my posts, you'll find a point in time, sometime after the Nashville home game, where I mention he's gone by the start of the 2015-2016 season if they can't move him at the tdl.

Between that post and the tdl, I continued to mention he was gone.

At some point, I don't know why, they pushed to move him ASAP. I don't know if it was a, "okay, he's played well enough, try to move him" thing or what. But there was a very clear push leading up to the deadline.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
For the life of me I can't understand why the owner of another team would be so upset about us trading away our first rounders...

Two words: Alex Semin.

This all stems from that contract. It was one of the dumbest ever given to a player knowing everything that is known about said player. However their dumbass owner still had to sign off on it and he did, so he is at least partially to blame.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I cannot confirm, this is total speculation, but I've read, SOMEWHERE, I can't remember where, that the coaching staff was caught off guard by the trade and they definitely did not push for it. That is not information I sourced, I can't remember where I read that, but I definitely did read it.

So why does Guerin... I mean, this mysertious asst GM, not have to take any public responsibility for the trade while JR catches all of the heat?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
So why does Guerin... I mean, this mysertious asst GM, not have to take any public responsibility for the trade while JR catches all of the heat?

Well, JR has publicly distanced himself from the trade since then, and this week Dejan ghost wrote a personal get out of jail free card by Morehouse for JR...

As for why the mysterious agm has yet to be named by anyone... I don't know. Especially since the Dejan piece effectively sullied all of the AGMs simultaneously.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Well, JR has publicly distanced himself from the trade since then, and this week Dejan ghost wrote a personal get out of jail free card by Morehouse for JR...

As for why the mysterious agm has yet to be named by anyone... I don't know. Especially since the Dejan piece effectively sullied all of the AGMs simultaneously.

Making a decision a year out on a young kid is beyond idiotic. Hopefully getting burned by his asst GMs played a role in why he held to his guns with Kessel, and didn't go after Saad like they wanted to (according to Madden).

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space

The mysterious assistant is the Karmanos related ANALytical 'expert' who spinned Botterill who then proceeded to spin JR, having more credentials to do so than said Karmanos related jerk.

Trepanated

Jan 11, 2007
I guess the "12hr" bit is a tad sensationalistic, but if you can manage to go through my posts, you'll find a point in time, sometime after the Nashville home game, where I mention he's gone by the start of the 2015-2016 season if they can't move him at the tdl.

Between that post and the tdl, I continued to mention he was gone.

At some point, I don't know why, they pushed to move him ASAP. I don't know if it was a, "okay, he's played well enough, try to move him" thing or what. But there was a very clear push leading up to the deadline.

Gotcha. Seems like it was botched on multiple levels then. Quite a feat to pull off.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
It was revealed that Pittsburgh went after Saad first before going back to Toronto.

Not surprising at all as it was less complicated to start with. In the end though, we got the better end. People shouldn't be Saad about this turn of events as the bigger the target is, the harder it is to get to it.

All in all we got the best at a surprisingly low cost.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Considering one of these guys was banished assigned to a labor camp scout in Rura Penthe Northern Finland next season--despite not being a scout and presumably not speaking the language--it wouldn't have taken a genius to figure out who the front office got upset with. I've also heard there are other work-related problems with Mr Anonymous having nothing to do with personnel, though.

Worth asking why Morehouse DK assassinated the character of all the AGMs in his article, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad