Hurricanes Owner Rips Rutherford and Pens

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Full link at the bottom but here's a quote

On the Penguins’ win-now approach – “Pittsburgh has no first-round picks anymore. They traded their first-round pick from the year before. They traded their first-round pick for this year, and now they’ve traded their first-round pick for next year. But they have Kessel, who may score as many goals as, uh, Alex Semin did (six). And I don’t have to take credit for that.â€

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-and-Penguins-current-GM/stories/201507020185

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Kessel will probably have six goals in the first week of the season.

Some HOF class right there

penguins2946*

His salt level is even more than that of McDonald's.

BKXL6jsCEAAqcK_.jpg:large

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey Karmanos.

Traded our 2015 1st for a proven 2007 1st.

Traded our 2014 1st, 2016 1st, 2016 3rd for a proven, elite 2016 1st round pick (5th overall) signed for 7 more years and got our 2016 2nd back.

Drafted a 1st round talent in the 2nd round this year in Daniel Sprong.

Still have Maatta (a late 1st steal) and Pouliot (originally YOUR pick) from 2012.

We'll be fine Karmanos, worry about your rebuilding franchise.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
He's off base trying to compare Kessel to Semin but he's right about the lack of 1st rounders. We have been splurging picks and prospects at things left and right and doing little to replenish that. Guys like Martin shouldve been returning something. We need to get something for Scuderi, Kunitz, Dupuis. Get rid of the old dead weight and replace the pieces that have been moved for these recent trades. Cant keep going year after year with nobody playing on an entry level contract worth a damn.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
28db69d9155030141378133852d542c9.jpg

No cutting the line.

Get in the long line behind the Flyer's media and fan base who have been at the front since day one.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Well we have 2 from the previous years in part thanks to Carolina and their pick!!!!

Pouliot and Maatta, we don't need anything else!!!

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
He's off base trying to compare Kessel to Semin but he's right about the lack of 1st rounders. We have been splurging picks and prospects at things left and right and doing little to replenish that. Guys like Martin shouldve been returning something. We need to get something for Scuderi, Kunitz, Dupuis. Get rid of the old dead weight and replace the pieces that have been moved for these recent trades. Cant keep going year after year with nobody playing on an entry level contract worth a damn.

I think we'll be fine with what we have currently. Plus there is always the chance we nab good prospects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds next year.

We needed legit talent to play with Crosby and Malkin, too much Kunitz and Dupuis for too long. That comes at a price, we either let players develop to play with Crosby and Malkin 2-5 years from now or we bring in elite talent like Kessel and good talent like Perron.

At the moment, we still have 1st rounders from 2017 and beyond.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Wow, it's been a while since we've been hated. Last few years we've just been laughed at..

Feels good, man .

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
As an aside, if there is an owner/GM out there who would not trade what amounts to three middling firsts and a couple of seconds for Perron and Kessel just entering their primes then I will point to them and laugh at them. I have not even gotten into that being the primary need for this team with the two best centers, no players, in the world to boot.

The Pens have plenty to criticize. He picked the one of the things that they did right.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
This is a combination of him feeling like JR screwed him over with the Staal trade (to the benefit of the franchise where JR is working now) and having to pay Semin for nothing over the next 4 years (instead of paying the same money to Phil Kessel to light the lamp night in night out.)

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
If he hated Rutherford that much, he could have fired him at any time over those two plus decades. Sounds like he is butt hurt over his own failure as an owner to take control.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
That whole interview was basically Karmanos saying that he has no idea how to run a franchise.

Pretty much. This was a 1:15 press conference yesterday, which was supposed to be about free agency. Karmanos spent a weird amount of it talking about Pittsburgh and bashing JR when, meanwhile, his team hasn't even made the playoffs in six years. It was a complete embarrassment. He has no room to talk about poorly managed teams. And so far, Francis hasn't exactly done a whole lot differently than Rutherford has. So that's pretty telling.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
He and Bobby Clarke should get together and cry about the Penguins.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Didn't JR have a part ownership stake in the 'canes?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...burgh-penguins-general-manager-154744188.html

2. What happens with Rutherford’s ownership stake in the Hurricanes? Chip Alexander of the News and Observer reports that Carolina owners Peter Karmanos "will discuss with NHL finance committee next week." Karmanos will become the Hurricanes team president as well.

Dunno if he got bought out or what. But could make a pretty estranged board meeting if he still had a stake...

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
I must say it's heart-warming to see the concern from all those other fanbases (and apparently team officials) for our future salary cap and prospect situation. Gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
JR might be a MOOK, but he's our MOOK!

Eat me Karmanos! And didn't I read once you had to move your team because you were going bankrupt??? Interesting.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Boston had 3 first rounders in a row and everyone thinks they squandered them.

Toronto also gave us 2 1st round prospects who have thus far amounted to nothing. I'll taken proven commodities any day of the week

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad