OT: Hurricanes Off Topic Lounge XII: GTA Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
You know...except for the fact that Underwood didn't go out of bounds and that was a key turning point in the game. This coming from somebody who's a Clemson fan before a State fan.

Sure. Bad call. Happens in most games. Difference? No other fan base ties the call to a directive from the commissioner's office,

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I've been to plenty of UNC games. You can't tell me y'all don't complain about the refs because I've heard otherwise hundreds of times.

During games, sure, you don't have the benefit of replay, slow motion, etc. Its the nature of fandom, you never think your team makes a mistake. The difference is in the postgame reactions. And there is a vast difference.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
During games, sure, you don't have the benefit of replay, slow motion, etc. Its the nature of fandom, you never think your team makes a mistake. The difference is in the postgame reactions. And there is a vast difference.

I couldn't disagree with you more but I'll leave it at this. Sure, you'll have instant reaction like some of my posts in here. I had just left CF, had none of the commentary you had, and am pissed about a big call in a tight game. Every fanbase is guilty of it. Every fanbase has there own conspiracy theories. You singling out us while claiming y'all don't have the same blemishes is foolish and disingenuous.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I couldn't disagree with you more but I'll leave it at this. Sure, you'll have instant reaction like some of my posts in here. I had just left CF, had none of the commentary you had, and am pissed about a big call in a tight game. Every fanbase is guilty of it. Every fanbase has there own conspiracy theories. You singling out us while claiming y'all don't have the same blemishes is foolish and disingenuous.

As someone who could care less about ACC sports, NC State fans are so absurd in defeat, that the pack losing is the only ACC result I ever cheer for.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So as a neutral fan, I don't see the big deal.

I didn't watch the game, but everything I've read said it was the wrong call. Fine, they happen. They suck, but they happen.

However, that call didn't decide the game. It happened in the 3rd quarter, giving plenty of time for State to recover. State still had the ball after the call, and still finished off a 30-something yard run.

Yes, they fumbled shortly after and the Tigers scored shortly after that, but those were the result of the State players, not the officials.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
As someone who could care less about ACC sports, NC State fans are so absurd in defeat, that the pack losing is the only ACC result I ever cheer for.

And I could turn around and say that UNC fans/Hurricanes fans/"Insert team here" fans are ridiculous. Every one is ridiculous in defeat. It's laughable that this singling out is happening. I've been to my fair share of games and I've heard my fair share of ridiculous comments from everyone. Postgames, message boards, talking with friends at school the next day, etc.

I didn't watch the game, but everything I've read said it was the wrong call. Fine, they happen. They suck, but they happen.

However, that call didn't decide the game. It happened in the 3rd quarter, giving plenty of time for State to recover. State still had the ball after the call, and still finished off a 30-something yard run.

Yes, they fumbled shortly after and the Tigers scored shortly after that, but those were the result of the State players, not the officials.

The only thing I'll say is that the score would have been tied 13-13 extra point pending. The Pack would have had all the momentum in their favor being at home against the #3 team in the nation with the lead. I can't change your opinion that that wasn't a shift in the tide of the game if you don't see it.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I can throw the guarantee out there that no fan base throws out the "John Swofford hates us" card more than State fan.

Actually, I've never heard anyone else use it.

Last edited:

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

Had the touchdown gone through, it would have been 14-13. At the time, neither team had scored a touchdown since State's tally early in the 2nd quarter.

So far, our defense had held Clemson to only field goals, and 3-and-outs for most of the 3rd quarter. If brought the crowd back into a game that had (surprisingly) turned into a defensive struggle. First team that breaks through would have a huge advantage, and State broke through first. Then a bad call brought it back.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
I can throw the guarantee out there that no fan base throws out the "John Swofford hates us" card more than State fan.

Actually, I've never heard anyone else use it.

I have literally never heard anybody use that argument in a non-joking manner. The only team that Clemson's harder than Clemson is NC State.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I have literally never heard anybody use that argument in a non-joking manner. The only team that Clemson's harder than Clemson is NC State.

Then you immerse yourself in the very small portion of State fans that are sane and rational in defeat. Take a gander at Pack Pride today, or ask my neighbors. It's very amusing, if not a bit sad.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Had the touchdown gone through, it would have been 14-13. At the time, neither team had scored a touchdown since State's tally early in the 2nd quarter.

So far, our defense had held Clemson to only field goals, and 3-and-outs for most of the 3rd quarter. If brought the crowd back into a game that had (surprisingly) turned into a defensive struggle. First team that breaks through would have a huge advantage, and State broke through first. Then a bad call brought it back.

The only thing I'll say is that the score would have been tied 13-13 extra point pending. The Pack would have had all the momentum in their favor being at home against the #3 team in the nation with the lead. I can't change your opinion that that wasn't a shift in the tide of the game if you don't see it.

Ok, and State still had the ball after the bad call. Thus, still giving them the chance to score, and in fact, putting them in a pretty good position to do so. They had just run for 30+ yards, which is also a pretty good momentum swing. So is a fumble recovery, which Clemson's defense caused a few plays later...sans officials.

Like I said, if I was a State fan, I'd be ticked about the call, but more ticked that the team let the game get away from them after the call, a call that didn't change possession of the ball, didn't cause them to lose yardage or downs, and didn't happen late enough in the game that it wasn't recoverable from.

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
Ahhh State fans. The reason I quit cheering for State (as a UNC fan) whenever they weren't playing Carolina...
Believe me, those are my thoughts exactly. BUT. In this situation, it appears they have the right to be upset. It's SUPER close... but if I had to make a decision, I'd say he was in. Which... since it was that close, the original ruling should stand because of inconclusive evidence. I didn't watch the game obviously (I just looked up a short clip of the play in question on YouTube)... but if the original ruling was a TD, then they should've had seven points. Very controversial call indeed.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
You've got it backwards. The call on the field was that he was out. Once that whistle blows, the play is dead and there's no replay allowed.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
ncstate-fans-nipple-rubbing.gif

I don't think much more needs to be said about State fans :sarcasm:

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Ok, and State still had the ball after the bad call. Thus, still giving them the chance to score, and in fact, putting them in a pretty good position to do so. They had just run for 30+ yards, which is also a pretty good momentum swing. So is a fumble recovery, which Clemson's defense caused a few plays later...sans officials.

If we are talking about momentum, scoring a touchdown and then getting it called back completely deflated the place.

I think you are downplaying the significance between a "good run" and "touchdown", especially in the close, defensive minded game that it had developed into by that point. That touchdown would have given State the first score of the half. Further, the fact that it happened and then it was taken away (both front refs signaled a touchdown) made it much more painful, much more deflating.

Kind of like how no one would care if a free agent player like Parise passed over us, but you get comments from JR akin to "he's considering us!!" and then he passes over us...and you have people up in arms.

Like I said, if I was a State fan, I'd be ticked about the call, but more ticked that the team let the game get away from them after the call, a call that didn't change possession of the ball, didn't cause them to lose yardage or downs, and didn't happen late enough in the game that it wasn't recoverable from.

They called back an 82 yard touchdown run.

I'll freely admit that State didn't play well enough to win the game. Burning 10 minutes off the 4th quarter clock was ridiculous. Pete Thomson was mediocre. Our secondary got burned repeatedly. We were expected to lose. I was even sitting in the most fanatical section, and was getting annoyed at the constant "Refs are paid off!!" references.

My original problem with the post (and I think I am not in line with Novacane on this one) is more how we are describing an 82 yard touchdown play that was called back as though it were a 5 yard false start call on a critical 3rd down. It completely changed the outcome of the game, and while I won't go as far to say that State should have won, the call certainly was a huge factor in that game.

That said, refs are going to **** up. They're human, and they can't see everything. Good teams play through it and find a way to win. Bad teams lose a lot of close games. So blaming the refs isn't really productive, especially when there are other factors at play.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk

Too bad it's rude to take pictures of all the UNC fans around rural NC who wear 20 year old Michael Jordan UNC jerseys made by Starter with their jorts... because I'm sure I could get at least a few dozen of them just by going to Concord Mills or something.

At least you guys don't wear orange overalls.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Too bad it's rude to take pictures of all the UNC fans around rural NC who wear 20 year old Michael Jordan UNC jerseys made by Starter with their jorts... because I'm sure I could get at least a few dozen of them just by going to Concord Mills or something.

At least you guys don't wear orange overalls.

This is quite a post.

Why can't we all just get along? It doesn't make any sense...

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

They showed that poor guy a bunch of times last night on ESPN. At one point near the end of the game, he was in a daze and seemed to be rubbing his nipples for a very uncomfortable amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad