Hurricanes Lounge, XXXIII: Danger Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I deal with a lot of realtors and mortgage people in my job. Most of them seem to think that housing prices themselves are going to go down 10 or 12 percent within a year as supply comes back, but that's going to be offset some by interest rates going back up and things are going to plateau there for a while, if there are no more big events that upset the market further.

My brother-in-law is a realtor in NY (not the city). Things have been red-hot their as well, but he told me last week that he is starting to see a dip in the "showing" rate. Whether that's because the market is starting to cool off, or people are just getting fed up with showing after showing is not clear, but he thinks it's the beginning of the market starting to cool off.

Here in Raleigh area, I'm not so sure though. Spoke to a realtor Wednesday and she said she had a listing with an open house and had 70 showings...EACH DAY of the open house. That's just bonkers.

Sorry to hear about your AC.

Reactions: DaveG

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
New home warranty is a lifesaver. 100 dollar deductible, even if we end up needing a new A/C that costs around $6,000 (which I expect it will) I only have to pay $100.

In the meantime, I'm sweaty
I was just about to ask if you've got one. My home warranty is fantastic. Covers damn near everything.

Reactions: HisIceness

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Happy World Giraffe Day!!!!!
FB_IMG_1624318883194.jpg

They forgot one...
FB_IMG_1610333111340.jpg

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
It took us a year and a half. To be fair, we relented on a lot of things that we wouldn't have in the beginning of our search (we're not afraid to renovate now, which opened up a lot of options). If we had always been as open-minded as we are now, we might have found something in late 2019 or early 2020.

On Monday, we locked at 2.875% on a 30 year fixed with like $1k in points, after originally being quoted 3.25% earlier in the day. Just had to show them what the online lenders were offering, and they got pretty close. Rates have already moved up about 1/8 point since then, so I'm glad we locked when we did. They also waived the origination fee and appraisal, even though we came in at 8% over list.

Opendoor gave us what appears to be a pretty competitive estimate, but we haven't moved forward. They don't know about our renovated bathrooms, so it's possible their number goes higher. We'll probably have the conversation with them, but right now I'm still thinking of testing the open market.

The market definitely feels frothy. Our budget went up $100k during our search, even though we don't have much more cash laying around than we did at the start. It's completely based on what we can sell our house for. Ignoring our renovations, it has appreciated about 50% in the five years we've owned it (half of that coming in the last 6 months). Compare that to the previous owners: they updated the kitchen, built a second deck, replaced probably $15k worth of systems, then sold to us for the exact same price they paid nine years before, just before the financial crisis. Or there's the townhouse we lived in before this house: it gained less than 15% in the five years my wife owned it, and it's up about 75-80% in the five years since (missed an opportunity there). Both properties are in north Raleigh, by the way.

You can't tell me this rate of appreciation is sustainable, but it doesn't seem like it's running out of steam anytime soon. And I don't see it going into reverse, just slowing down or plateauing at some point. The fundamentals seem solid and most of the buyers have the money to fund the offers they're making. That then leads to the question of, where is all this money coming from?

Personally, I'm looking at the Fed and all the stimulus that went out last year. And not just the stimulus checks that we all got... I'm wondering how badly the financial markets are distorted by the government printing money to buy assets, and whether that's now spilling over into the non-financial markets. Inflation is insane right now, especially relative to borrowing rates. The official line is it's a temporary blip, but I'm not convinced because so much money has been pumped into the economy. I think they're going to have to start shrinking their balance sheet and raising rates a lot sooner than they're saying publicly.

TL;DR: Everything's wild and your money isn't buying as much as it used to.

Bear in mind that supply chains are still completely f***ed up from COVID. People are paying inflated prices now because supply is constrained in just about everything, and demand is peaking at the same time because everyone is like "partaaaaay".

When demand softens a bit and supply chain issues settle, we'll see where we land.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Bear in mind that supply chains are still completely f***ed up from COVID. People are paying inflated prices now because supply is constrained in just about everything, and demand is peaking at the same time because everyone is like "partaaaaay".

When demand softens a bit and supply chain issues settle, we'll see where we land.
This part is true. I paid 25% more for a tool chest last month than I could have at Christmas time, presumably because steel is still crazy and production capacity isn't where they would like it to be.

I really hope I'm wrong about inflation. It's just impossible, for me at least, to decipher how much of it is transient due to supply problems and how much is more-or-less permanent because of all the new money that has been directly and indirectly put into the economy. At least lumber is crashing now, so that's encouraging.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
This part is true. I paid 25% more for a tool chest last month than I could have at Christmas time, presumably because steel is still crazy and production capacity isn't where they would like it to be.

I really hope I'm wrong about inflation. It's just impossible, for me at least, to decipher how much of it is transient due to supply problems and how much is more-or-less permanent because of all the new money that has been directly and indirectly put into the economy. At least lumber is crashing now, so that's encouraging.

This year has been a series of shocks, and shocks do weird shit. But the fundamentals of the economy haven't changed.

Reactions: hockeynjune

The Stranger

May 4, 2014

There was an article in the paper yesterday on inflation. Here should be a free link.

Check out the money supply / inflation graph.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things

Inventory is jacked as all get out. I work at an an embroidery shop and the apparel suppliers are having shortages with so many things. We have to check stock with literally every order and then when we go to actually order it through the supplier (which could be as quick a turn around as less than 24 hours) what they had the day before is gone. It's insane. There's a couple of brands we can order from several suppliers and there's times that my boss has multiple windows open to each of those suppliers to satisfy the orders. Our two most popular polos fluctuate daily with no rhyme or reason. The vast majority of our customers are landscapers, roofers, construction workers, i.e. folks that work outside and never were much affected by COVID so we've been as busy as ever the last year plus (in fact our busiest month ever was last June when it was just my boss, myself and two of our production guys who worked part time) but we're starting to worry that we're going to lose orders because we can't secure the inventory. In fact that has already happened - we just lost an almost ten thousand dollar order because our supplier told us they had stock in something and in reality they had exactly zero. It's a bitch and a half.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I had to buy emergency tires last week, and the guy at the tire place said "I have no idea if my inventory is accurate until I actually put my hands on the tires."

It's been weird, and it's gonna stay weird for a while. Even though the US is kinda getting back to normal, it's a global economy and a global pandemic, and supply chain issues cascade.

Shit is complicated.

Reactions: skipnjump

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
It's just impossible, for me at least, to decipher how much of it is transient due to supply problems and how much is more-or-less permanent because of all the new money that has been directly and indirectly put into the economy. At least lumber is crashing now, so that's encouraging.

As much as I would love to get on with things, I am staying put to see how things look near year end. Even with all the crazy demand, one development with a national builder that I have had my eye on keeps pushing back the launch date to even build their model. They have had the infrastructure in place since the start of Covid but won't build there yet due to supply issues for labor and materials and until recently, the slowdown with permitting, etc. I have been on the VIP..(here's your price increase list)..for almost 2 years now.

My friend tried to have all of her exterior doors replaced and was told it's a 6 month wait for the install. So, she tried to get a company to resurface her patio and add a screened in porch or FL room..a pretty fancy upgrade. Minimum 4 month wait and right as she was going to sign the contract they came back with a 19% price increase due to the materials. Just hearing about all of her woes has made me anti-renovation at this time.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I had to buy emergency tires last week, and the guy at the tire place said "I have no idea if my inventory is accurate until I actually put my hands on the tires."

It's been weird, and it's gonna stay weird for a while. Even though the US is kinda getting back to normal, it's a global economy and a global pandemic, and supply chain issues cascade.

Shit is complicated.

It's clear that intelligent, forward-thinking individuals should stock up on tires, toilet paper, and gasoline now.

Also lumber. Never know when you'll need it.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The labor force is weird right now as well, leaving jobs in droves. If you manage people for a living you should start thinking about pipelining and contingency plans for your employees. Sounds like hyperbole but employees are changing positions at an historic rate.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021

Shit is complicated.

That's on him. I ride herd on 10,000 car parts including over 300 tires. I know where everything is and check it daily. The parts supply line is getting better slowly.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

This is BEAUTIFUL.

I love these. Lately I've been getting those "Car warranty expiring final courtesy call" voice mails. Decided to call one back and told them I drove a 1989 Honda Accord with 500k miles and an engine that's about to fall out and being held up with duct-tape. "John" on the other end didn't like that. :laugh:

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I love these. Lately I've been getting those "Car warranty expiring final courtesy call" voice mails. Decided to call one back and told them I drove a 1989 Honda Accord with 500k miles and an engine that's about to fall out and being held up with duct-tape. "John" on the other end didn't like that. :laugh:
We don’t really have these scam-calls here, because there aren’t really call centers that speak Czech. We usually have dickheads that go from house to house and scam old folks at home.

Disgusting.

I do have to say that I love those two videos for the contrast between them. Jim Browning (not a real name btw) goes with that absolute cold-blooded technical approach, where his terrifyingly calm voice tells you what you had for dinner today and that you should really clean your room, while Rosie does the… most “feminine” scambaiting possible. She actually has a video where she messes with cruise scammer by flirting with him. It’s absolutely glorious.
Also her automated voice impression is terrifyingly accurate.

Reactions: Tryamw

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

This is BEAUTIFUL.

My best was an incoming call from a scammer that wanted me to pay for him to fix my computer that had been "compromised". I strung him along for quite awhile and then told him that I really wanted him to fix my computer but that he needed to do it in person. He kept telling me that he could do it remotely, and when he eventually asked why I thought he had to do it in person I told him that it was because he was going to have to suck my d*** before I'd pay him anything. He hung up on me. :(

Last edited:

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Last one I gave the time of day to I asked them to give me my Car model since they were calling inregard to my insurance policy on it. They would NEED to know that you know :) They of course wanted me to give it to them.
I also strung along one of the SSA called by asking them to give me my name.. since they "would" know... Same with one of the IRS ones. that one I answered with only Hello.
And Microsoft I asked how I needed them to fix my (Non existent) Mac.. those guys just don't have a sense of humor..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad