OT: Hurricanes Lounge XXIII: Let's Go Bowling edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
playing trivial pursuit atm. and it is not fair lol

My buddy's Geography question just was "In what State would you find the College towns of Ann Arbor and East Lansing?"

My Geography question was "Name the five African Countries that border the Mediterranean Sea"

i am pretty good at geography, but wtf :laugh:

i got three right btw

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
playing trivial pursuit atm. and it is not fair lol

My buddy's Geography question just was "In what State would you find the College towns of Ann Arbor and East Lansing?"

My Geography question was "Name the five African Countries that border the Mediterranean Sea"

i am pretty good at geography, but wtf :laugh:

i got three right btw

Let's see.

Egypt, Libya, Morocco,

**** it, I'm out :laugh:

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
I tried a game of CKII once. Managed to conquer all of Ireland by my second generation.

Then my king died shortly after becoming king, so his son inherited. And everybody HATED him, had most of the island revolting. So I reloaded a save, killed or imprisoned him, and had the second son inherit. Everybody hated him too, so I rage quit.

Playing the game really made me sympathize with the villain guy from frozen, though :laugh:

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
CK2 is one of my favorite games of all time

the ireland start is great for learning. i also am a big fan of starting with one of the bigger spanish powers and forming iberia and kicking the muslims back to africa

Dec 30, 2013
tunisia and algeria go play more paradox grand strategy games

This is the correct answer.

I tried a game of CKII once. Managed to conquer all of Ireland by my second generation.

Then my king died shortly after becoming king, so his son inherited. And everybody HATED him, had most of the island revolting. So I reloaded a save, killed or imprisoned him, and had the second son inherit. Everybody hated him too, so I rage quit.

Playing the game really made me sympathize with the villain guy from frozen, though :laugh:

Retinues are a wonderful way to prevent rebellions from being successful. They form a standing army that doesn't count against your levies, and you can declare war even when you have retinues raised. They cost a lot to start with, then they will cost a decent bit once they are reinforcing themselves, but once they are full they cost very little.

Military Organization tech allows you to expand your retinue cap, along with the Training Grounds building.

Ideally you get every county within a duchy, and then expand to every county in two duchies. Ideally the two duchies are close to one another. Then just keep upgrading the settlements. Those troops can't be used against you in case of rebellion.

I almost always go Pictland/Scotland and then try to take over all of Europe. Last game I played, right after I started invading France with all of my/my vassals' troops, the Aztecs decided to drop a 120k doomstack in Northern Scotland. That did not go well.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I still need to do my Christmas shopping. Will probably do it sometime next week since I'll be done with school for the semester after Friday.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I still need to do my Christmas shopping. Will probably do it sometime next week since I'll be done with school for the semester after Friday.

Normally I hit up Amazon for about half of the people on my list and then I go out early on Christmas Eve for the rest. Gets me out of the house and the scenery is quite nice down here on the 24th.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

I could use a new iPad seeing as I've never had one. Even the iPad Mini would be fine. Let me know when you've secured it and I'll tell you where my Xmas tree is so that you can slip it under there with any other goodies you'd care to share.

Dec 30, 2013
I spent all my Christmas funds on my two nephews. Good quality Star Wars stuff does not come cheap, so I didn't have much choice. Not sure what I'm going to do for my siblings or parents though.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Normally I hit up Amazon for about half of the people on my list and then I go out early on Christmas Eve for the rest. Gets me out of the house and the scenery is quite nice down here on the 24th.

Yeah, that's what I usually do as well. Although I don't have too many people to buy for. I also have a tradition where I go out "shopping" to pick up the final items a few days before Christmas. I always end up at a place for a burger and a beer or two. It started years ago when I lived in another city and stopped in just to warm up and decided I might as well eat and drink and it's been a tradition every year since. The last 2 years, I included my sons (minus the beer for them) so it makes it even more fun.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I got a lot of my Christmas shopping done already. Just waiting on a package to arrive tomorrow and about to order something for my mother.

Online shopping has really saved me a lot of headache.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I love doing my Christmas shopping online, mostly because I hate malls at any time of year, let alone during the holiday season. Amazon has been nagging me for months, if not years, to do another trial for Prime, so I decided Christmas was the time to do it.

Now I just need to figure out what I'm actually going to buy for everyone.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
12313703_10153803214739637_6961984093505710074_n.jpg

Hey, look what arrived today! :handclap:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Hey SG, IIRC, I thought I remember you saying your cousin played for the Pirates? What that him that just got traded to the Phillies?

If so, What are your thoughts on the trade?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

While it's true one of the people of the town made a ridiculous statement like that, it's very misleading and wasn't really why it was rejected. The town had already approved 3 other solar projects and the townspeople were concerned about the impact on property values and industry.

http://www.snopes.com/north-carolina-town-rejects-solar-panels/

The original article reported that three solar farms "had previously been accepted by the town council," adding that a proposal to rezone part of the land north of town was subsequently rejected in the meeting.

Mary Hobbs has been living in Woodland for 50 years and said she has watched it slowly becoming a ghost town with no job opportunities for young people. She said her home is surrounded by solar farms and is no longer worth its value because of those facilities. She added that the only people profiting are the landowners who sell their land, the solar companies, and the electrical companies.

It's worth mentioning that Hoggard's original article mainly addressed residents' concerns about the impact of multiple solar farms on property values and local commerce. Some residents expressed fears about solar panel safety, but they were not the sole voices of dissent at the council meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad