OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLIII: As Fun As Waterboarding

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
lol, somebody just landed a plane on US1 north

Word is he flew it under the Pea Ridge rd. bridge while making the landing.
doubt it flew under a bridge...

Lancair 360, pretty fast 2 seat "experimental" airplane (just how it's categorized as it's an owner built kitplane, which are honestly pretty much on par with certified aircraft these days).

Looks like it lost its engine about halfway to destination (could be fuel exhaustion, one of the more typical reasons to lose an engine in small GA planes). Curiously, from 1 picture I saw, looks like it landed gear up on the highway, pilot maybe forgot to put gear down due to stress of dealing with the engine-out? Or maybe gear just collapsed on rollout... either way, always nice to see no casualties when a plane touches ground off-airport.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
doubt it flew under a bridge...

Lancair 360, pretty fast 2 seat "experimental" airplane (just how it's categorized as it's an owner built kitplane, which are honestly pretty much on par with certified aircraft these days).

Looks like it lost its engine about halfway to destination (could be fuel exhaustion, one of the more typical reasons to lose an engine in small GA planes). Curiously, from 1 picture I saw, looks like it landed gear up on the highway, pilot maybe forgot to put gear down due to stress of dealing with the engine-out? Or maybe gear just collapsed on rollout... either way, always nice to see no casualties when a plane touches ground off-airport.
Got that from someone that would know. So it seems he did.
And yes it was landed gear up.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This is nuts:

Our farm is 99.8% coverage with the latest map and we drove to it today. We are going to drive to a friends house ~8 miles up the road to get to 100% on Monday.

Our relatives do AirBNBs in the area. Normal rates are $150-$200 per night. $1300-$1500 per night for this weekend. :amazed:

Edit: that’s what airbnb was listing them at a couple months ago. No idea what they were booked at.

Last edited:

hockeynjune

Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Our farm is 99.8% coverage with the latest map and we drove to it today. We are going to drive to a friends house ~8 miles up the road to get to 100% on Monday.

Our relatives do AirBNBs in the area. Normal rates are $150-$200 per night. $1300-$1500 per night for this weekend. :amazed:

Edit: that’s what airbnb was listing them at a couple months ago. No idea what they were booked at.
Our place is 45 minutes from the US Open . We thought about it. Neighbors actually have a Bed And Breakfast and have been booked for over a year.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Our place is 45 minutes from the US Open . We thought about it. Neighbors actually have a Bed And Breakfast and have been booked for over a year.

My family farm in Northern Maine is right in the center of the totality, and a fantastic view of Mt. Katadin as well. We thought about going there, but when we made our plans two years ago, we went with the average cloud cover trends this time of year and chose to go to Texas instead. We made our VRBO reservations in 2022.

Of course, looking at the forecast right now, Maine would have been a better choice. Oh, well.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
My family farm in Northern Maine is right in the center of the totality, and a fantastic view of Mt. Katadin as well. We thought about going there, but when we made our plans two years ago, we went with the average cloud cover trends this time of year and chose to go to Texas instead. We made our VRBO reservations in 2022.

Of course, looking at the forecast right now, Maine would have been a better choice. Oh, well.
Where in Texas? Our best friends live in the hill country and are 100% totality.

hockeynjune

Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021

Still the right call given climate data at the time.

Reactions: MinJaBen

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Going to the game Sunday at 5pm and realized I need to give thought to parking. My first one in like 15 years, so a lot has changed I’m sure. Reddit search says there are a few options to park and walk over from the office buildings along Kingdom Way and Youth Center Drive. I certainly don’t mind a walk at all, just don’t want to be a rule breaker. Mostly curious if that’s actually a realistic option or if it’s really hit or miss and I should just pay for parking in the lot and save the hassle.

Reactions: Stickpucker

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Going to the game Sunday at 5pm and realized I need to give thought to parking. My first one in like 15 years, so a lot has changed I’m sure. Reddit search says there are a few options to park and walk over from the office buildings along Kingdom Way and Youth Center Drive. I certainly don’t mind a walk at all, just don’t want to be a rule breaker. Mostly curious if that’s actually a realistic option or if it’s really hit or miss and I should just pay for parking in the lot and save the hassle.
it's a realistic option, have been doing it every game for... 20 whatever years now

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
If you decide to park on the lot get the Parkwhiz app. Parking is $40 but with the app its $25

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
So my wife put on this shit rom-com and the lead who is a female sports writer is claiming Bobby Hull is the best hockey player of all time. Now i assumed this was a Hollywood swing and a miss and they meant to say Bobby Orr but no, they made a Golden Jet reference shortly thereafter.

Im irrationally upset by this and Im trying to explain this atrocity in reslity TV terms so my wife understands how f***ing stupid this is. And obviously ive ruined this for everyone involved.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

The walk over is a good option. It was a nice little secret for a while, but it's become more well-known in the past 5-10 years. And I've not heard of anyone getting their car towed or anything like that, so it's a nice way to avoid the $20-$40 parking.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
So my wife put on this shit rom-com and the lead who is a female sports writer is claiming Bobby Hull is the best hockey player of all time. Now i assumed this was a Hollywood swing and a miss and they meant to say Bobby Orr but no, they made a Golden Jet reference shortly thereafter.

Im irrationally upset by this and Im trying to explain this atrocity in reslity TV terms so my wife understands how f***ing stupid this is. And obviously ive ruined this for everyone involved.

I hope you weren't doing this during the movie. I learned first hand a long time ago that's not a good idea. :nono:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

The name of the film and of the screenwriter, please. There's no way that wasn't intentional by the smartest kid in class who thinks no one else knows shit about hockey.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

It seems like people are way more spun-up over this eclipse than they were in 2017, when the path of totality very helpfully traversed South Carolina and I made the drive to see it from a zoo in Columbia.

But there wasn't nearly as much hype last time around. I guess maybe because it didn't go over as many large cities.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Waiting for the eclipse….

1712526123572.jpeg

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
it's a realistic option, have been doing it every game for... 20 whatever years now

The walk over is a good option. It was a nice little secret for a while, but it's become more well-known in the past 5-10 years. And I've not heard of anyone getting their car towed or anything like that, so it's a nice way to avoid the $20-$40 parking.

Parked over there with no problems today. Was great. Thanks for the info!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad