Pre-Game Talk: Hurricanes in Ottawa Tonight 7:30 on TSN

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Josh Harding has played exactly 2 professional hockey games over the past 12 months.

Wouldn't have to be him specifically. I'm sure there is somebody out there that Murray could get for free if they have to go down that road.

Just not Hammond.

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
IF we were forced to trade/sign a goalie Gustavsson wouldn't be a bad option. He's been pushed out by Mrazek and he has been pretty good for Detroit in the past.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'd be ok with sending a late pick for a reclamation project like Markstrom.

Markstrom has been lighting it up in the AHL to the point where some believe that they have been quietly shopping Eddie Lack. I think it might take more like a 2nd or 3rd to get Markstrom, who a couple of years ago was considered "the" hot goalie prospect...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, about 39 mins of that game was pretty good (Lehner not so much).

Team had very little life after seeing two guys go off to injury on the same play in which the opposition took the lead. Hard to blame them.

On the bright side:

- Prince looks like an NHL player.
- Karlsson 2 assists and +1
- Hammond, Lehner, and the refs are all helping out with the tank

On the not so bright side:

- Gryba - Cowen were not good together.
- Lehner...

Honestly felt the score didn't reflect the play of the team (although the third was mostly just a bunch of dejected players). While the Canes outshot us, I thought we had the bulk of and better scoring chances.

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
Bryzgalov could be had for nothing once Andersen gets back...

Liked Prince's game today... hopefully we give him a good string of games

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think I read or heard that the only reason Markstrom is in the AHL right now is because Vancouver doesn't want to lose him to waivers.

You lose guys on waivers sending them down, not up. That changed in the last CBA. He's in the AHL because Lack and Miller are better.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Bryzgalov could be had for nothing once Andersen gets back...

Yeah, that's true.

I'd have Bryz on this team just for the interviews & off-ice hilarity. I mean, the season is already done, he's not a good goalie so it's not like he'd be artificially propping us up or anything... why not log a few memorable quotes as a Sen to round out his career?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
No chance i would trade for a goalie. We dont need to win games right now and anderson looks to be close. Find a prospect or a young goalie that might actually have a future in the NHL for the AHL team. Theres a few good young goalies in the SEL that i think would be worth giving shots to.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Markstrom has been lighting it up in the AHL to the point where some believe that they have been quietly shopping Eddie Lack. I think it might take more like a 2nd or 3rd to get Markstrom, who a couple of years ago was considered "the" hot goalie prospect...

Fair enough. Not too long ago, he had been bad for so long I stopped following his progression. Glad to hear he's doing well in the AHL, looks like that option is off the books, though I meant more of the type of move.

Bonk mentioned Gustafson who would be a similar idea, though not as young.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
War-on-ice had the 5 on 5 scoring chances 44 to 18 in favour of Ottawa...

Pretty damning. Even with a decent sized margin of error thats still a good gap.

I'd love Markstrom. Rumor is that they arent interested in trading him and are shopping the older Lack.

Sentient

Feb 1, 2006
Ottawa
To quote a famous and highly relevant phrase, "I ain't even mad!" The Senators 2014-15 edition are a lousy hockey team. Making the playoffs would be:
  • Undeserved
  • Bad for the future both for a much poorer draft position and for encouraging delusional thinking in management (or worse in the owner)
Fortunately, making the playoffs is no longer a reasonable fear.

My biggest fear over the past couple of years has been that we have bad (as in cheap, stupid and possibly dishonest) ownership. The signings of Ryan, MacArthur and now Methot have encouraged me to take half a step away from the cliff and at least entertain the hope that we might have an owner willing to spend a bit of his windfall TV revenues on the on-ice product (even if it is the networks twisting his arm because they don't wish to pay this amount of money to try and sell advertising for little more than a farm team). I am now probably actually going to renew my season ticket package which I have had since day one but was seriously thinking of downsizing as a protest against Mr. "Cost per Point".

What I want now is:
  • Don't trade any significant assets for a stopgap goalie
  • Don't make any other panic moves
  • Let the young guys play and let the chips fall where they do
  • I will continue to cheer for wins during the games but be totally happy with every loss that brings the team closer to a better draft choice which is the only thing of lasting importance that will come out of this miserable season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If Lehner and Anderson can't go for an extended period, I think we do what we can to pick up a competent backup. Management owes it to the team to at least make playing out the season bearable.

You won't be able to get a feel for where any of the callups are (Prince, maybe Wideman and Puempel) if they're always afraid a weak wrister from a bad angle or the blue line will end up in the back of the net.

Maybe TMurr is looking to flip Lindback :sarcasm:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Wow, that sucks. Sounds like Prince was ok?

Ok to good. Was noticeable and looked like he stepped up for this game. If he plays like this on a continual basis he'll easily be an nhl player and likely a top 6 player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad