Seravalli: Hurricanes closing in on 1 year deal with Tony DeAngelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
First NYR defenseman to score 50 points in a single season since Brian Leetch. That's 20 years!!! 20 Years of the Wade Redden's, Dan Boyles, Keith Yandles, Ryan McDonagh's, Kevin Shattenkirks etc. None of the aformentioned reached 50 points in a NYR sweater. Politics aside, ball busting attitudes aside, that's quite an accomplishment for a guy that was a 5/6 dman with PP time. I appreciate him for that.

Best of luck to the Canes if they get him.
Sure he got all those points…and then the league was suspended for a bit. Then came the bubble playoffs and a few months later, this past season commenced. And what happened?? Well, the Rangers got swept in 3 games….and this player then played the first 6 games of the season that just ended (and then proceeded to do something- no one really knows the story - and got himself removed from the team). Sooo…how did he do in those 9 games? Zero goals….one secondary power play assist….and a minus 12 (not a typo). Hasn’t played since then….

Caveat Emptor Canes……Caveat Emptor.

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
I expected to dislike Tony in NY.
I thought he would be a 5/6 D at best.

I ended up really liking him. His D is nowhere near as bad as is being made out. He stands up for his teammates, whatever their political persuasion. He is outstanding on the point on the PP (no slap shot at all mind you) and in those games that get very emotional or are rivalry games, he will do SOMETHING be it just play great or if it's all going wrong, at least show his frustration even though most of our players are ready to fold up like a cheap tent. Tries his heart out and is very talented. Prone to explosions of temper leading to double minors, benching and brief spats with teammates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Sure he got all those points…and then the league was suspended for a bit. Then came the bubble playoffs and a few months later, this past season commenced. And what happened?? Well, the Rangers got swept in 3 games….and this player then played the first 6 games of the season that just ended (and then proceeded to do something- no one really knows the story - and got himself removed from the team). Sooo…how did he do in those 9 games? Zero goals….one secondary power play assist….and a minus 12 (not a typo). Hasn’t played since then….

Caveat Emptor Canes……Caveat Emptor.

You say buyer beware, I say good luck Canes and Tony D if indeed the rumors are true. Low risk, huge potential.

Marlo Stanfield

My Name Is My Name
Jun 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
Not a fan of him but I think on a 1-year deal with him knowing his back is against the wall, he'll probably behave himself and play well enough to lock down a 3-4 year deal after this season with someone. Common sense would suggest that much at least.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Lmao the Jerks sign an actual jerk

FWIW, Brian Burke and Gord Miller on TSN in Toronto, did some digging into this kids character with team mates, and the feedback was he was well liked by his team mates. No one said he was a Jerk and a bad team mate. Out spoken, chirped at his coaches and politically outspoken on his views, yes, but he was not seen as a bad team mate nor was he disliked by his teammates. Need to put things in perspective here.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Tony is an electric offensive defenseman. He is a premier puck carrier, he'll skate it from zone to zone and is an ideal 3vs3 OT defenseman. He will pinch in and score goals from areas you would typically see wingers score from. He is a really fun player to watch and have on your team. I'll be checking out some Carolina games next season. I hope he can put the nonsense behind him and play his game.

Reactions: egelband

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
It’s a win-win for Carolina. If anything goes sideways in play or off ice, they can be rid of him by waiving him and if it all goes well they get him free and clear on a one year. If he acts a complete ass they can even take the narrative of they tried giving him a route toward redemption and he didn’t take it so now he is gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad