Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes clinch playoff berth 2021

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Something to think about . . . have you ever seen me and Rod in the same place at the same time?

giphy.webp

Makes u think

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Canes vs...

Tampa - 4-3-1
Florida - 6-0-2
Nashville - 6-0-0
Dallas - 6-1-1

Combined 22-4-4 against the teams that we could see in the playoffs in this division.

The Canes are seriously good this season and should be the favorites to come out of this division come the playoffs, even if Tampa gets Kucherov back.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Canes vs...

Tampa - 4-3-1
Florida - 6-0-2
Nashville - 6-0-0
Dallas - 6-1-1

Combined 22-4-4 against the teams that we could see in the playoffs in this division.

The Canes are seriously good this season and should be the favorites to come out of this division come the playoffs, even if Tampa gets Kucherov back.

Wow. That's outstanding.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Rod Brind’Amour deserves the Jack Adams and Hall of Fame.

Think about this, Dundon buys the team halfway through a season, we draft Svech. Let Peters walk, fired Francis. Now we have been consecutive playoff contenders.
You left out the biggest change: finally gave up on Darling. With different owner, Peters as coach, and no Svech the Canes played at a 98 point pace in 17-18 with Ward in net. In 18-19 many good things happened--including the Whalers game. BUT the Canes played at a 51 point pace for the 8 games Darling played. I actually like/liked Darling and hope he finds inner peace, but the fact is that he lost ALL confidence and it didn't matter who else was on the ice. Had he played 25+ games in 18-19 it wouldn't have mattered who was coach, owner, 1C, 3LW, etc.

If you think I am overstating the case, consider that Charlotte was by far the best AHL team in 18-19, Ned was 34-9-5, Tokarski was 7-0-0, Darling was 5-6-2.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Canes vs...

Tampa - 4-3-1
Florida - 6-0-2
Nashville - 6-0-0
Dallas - 6-1-1

I see Tampa has the one major road block for us, especially if they get Kucherov back.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I see Tampa has the one major road block for us, especially if they get Kucherov back.
I think people are drastically overestimating the ability for Kucherov to step right in and contribute in the playoffs at the Hart level that everyone expects of him when he has not taken one second of ice time during the regular season. He's might have a good game or two, but sometime in that first series he's going to hit a conditioning wall, and he's going to look like he's skating in molasses for a couple weeks.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
I think people are drastically overestimating the ability for Kucherov to step right in and contribute in the playoffs at the Hart level that everyone expects of him when he has not taken one second of ice time during the regular season. He's might have a good game or two, but sometime in that first series he's going to hit a conditioning wall, and he's going to look like he's skating in molasses for a couple weeks.

I agree, there is no substitute for in game ice time and he has been off the ice all year. Couple that with the most likely chance it will be a playoff game he is thrown into. It will be a bit of a shock to his system not to mention the disruption of symmetry to the lines that have been on the ice all year.

Last edited:

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Idk he's one of the best players in the league and your adding to a team where the season series couldn't have been closer. Both team 4-3-1 with a 1 goal differential.

All that being said they didn't face Petr much and have yet to face us with Turbo Paquette and Jani

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Rod Brind’Amour deserves the Jack Adams and Hall of Fame.

Think about this, Dundon buys the team halfway through a season, we draft Svech. Let Peters walk, fired Francis. Now we have been consecutive playoff contenders.

On the Diggin' in with Tripp podcast, Brindamour hinted that he won't be making it to the HoF anytime soon. Sounds like there's some scummy politics at play that is keeping him out.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
If we win the division, i'm hoping Florida takes them out for us :: evil laugh ::

All bets are off once you reach the playoffs. We make our judgements based on the outcomes of regular season games, but ultimately we know ( ie Canes defeating Washington to advance to rd 2, Tampa winning presidents and then getting swept by Columbus) that doesn't necessarily mean anything. If I were betting today, I'd say Tampa and Carolina are the 2 favorites but the rubber meets the road soon.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Idk he's one of the best players in the league and your adding to a team where the season series couldn't have been closer. Both team 4-3-1 with a 1 goal differential.

All that being said they didn't face Petr much and have yet to face us with Turbo Paquette and Jani
I'd go so far as to argue that they are very much running the risk that he has a negative impact to the team when he starts playing due to a combination of interrupting chemistry and a lack of conditioning on his part.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, but throwing a guy who still needs to get into game shape into a high contributing role in the playoffs likely against 2 of the top 5 teams in the league is a very tall task.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
I'd go so far as to argue that they are very much running the risk that he has a negative impact to the team when he starts playing due to a combination of interrupting chemistry and a lack of conditioning on his part.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, but throwing a guy who still needs to get into game shape into a high contributing role in the playoffs likely against 2 of the top 5 teams in the league is a very tall task.

I mean even Turbo and the team will be adjusting to him being back. Thank the hockey gods it happened last night. I still expect it to be a few games before we see him in true Turbo form.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Kucherov wouldn't be the first elite player to come back from missing a lot of time heading into the playoffs and then perform well if he does. Tampa and Florida are great teams that played well against us even if the record doesn't show it in Florida's case. I like our chances against both for sure but seems like grasping to find reasons they are worse and we are better.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

He could have some rust yes, but lets be honest it's Nikita f***ing Kucherov. He doesn't have to be at Hart trophy levels of performance to immediately make them substantially harder to beat.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Kucherov wouldn't be the first elite player to come back from missing a lot of time heading into the playoffs and then perform well if he does. Tampa and Florida are great teams that played well against us even if the record doesn't show it in Florida's case. I like our chances against both for sure but seems like grasping to find reasons they are worse and we are better.
There's a difference between a lot of time and literally the entire regular season.

There will be at least 8 and a half months since he last took his last shift. And returning from a hip injury that needs surgery is no joke. To expect someone like that to contribute at a high level right away? Thats a very, very tall ask

Reactions: hockeynjune

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
There's a difference between a lot of time and literally the entire regular season.

There will be at least 8 and a half months since he last took his last shift. And returning from a hip injury that needs surgery is no joke. To expect someone like that to contribute at a high level right away? Thats a very, very tall ask

But does he have to contribute at a high level? How about just enough to displace someone else on the roster. Again we went 4-3-1 against each other with a 1 goal differential, any fire power either gains could change that. Thankfully we have been missing parts also to balance it out. In the end I would rather face the Bolts without him.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

They could have Johnson out there wheeling Kuch around in a Radio Flyer and he'd probably still score 5 goals against in a series.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

I'm not saying it's common, but Peter Forsberg once led the playoffs in scoring even only playing 3 rounds after missing an entire season. And as mentioned, he doesn't have to be his normal Hart Trophy self to have a positive impact. He just needs to be better than the bottom guys of their lineup. They are a deep team and their depth players are good, but I have a hard time believing he couldn't make a positive impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad