Jun 8, 2017
tenor.gif

Reactions: MinJaBen

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
So. If we don't want Dallas to get in and also us to get the 1 seed. Dallas Tampa what is the best result?
I'm thinking Dallas but...

Reactions: 3CanesInTheBox

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
As an avid competitor and long distance cyclist for many years. There were times when it just wasn't there and I would abort the ride/race. We called that "hitting the wall" and it was real trust me. Not sure how that applies to hockey.

I ran a marathon and at about mile 20 I got bitch-slapped by that non-existent wall. By the way, that will be the one and only time I run one of those. Checked it off my list and won't revisit.....ever.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
I ran a marathon and at about mile 20 I got bitch-slapped by that non-existent wall. By the way, that will be the one and only time I run one of those. Checked it off my list and won't revisit.....ever.

I used to train with several TRI's . It's been a bit since I pedaled 125 miles per day back to back. Since driving and texting has become a thing I am not really interested in doing it anymore.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Canes have lost ONE game of their 10 by more than 2 goals (3-0 shutout to TB during the 1-3 run with TB). Of all the losses by 2 goals, I think every one of them the final goal was an opponent empty net.

Our team has arguably been in EVERY game but 1 all year. That's impressive and encouraging. We do suck with EmptyNet in goal, but we haven't been run out of any building all year. I think that bodes well for the playoffs, regardless of who we play.

Reactions: hockeynjune

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
As a Preds fans who has gotten use to you guys repeatedly thumping us… i would like to get some input on some of your guys heading into the playoffs. any input is appreciated.

Jordan Staal
Steven Lorentz
Cedric Paquette
Nino Niederreiter
Dougie Hamilton
Jani Hakanpaa
Brady Skjei

if you had to just put a blanket statement or rating on these guys above on toughness where would they land. 1-10 scale metric to keep it simple and then what role do you see them playing in the playoffs? 4th line energy, forward who gets tough matchups, PK minute eater, etc.

toughness is not a how good of a fighter they are (that obviously helps) but just in terms of physical presence on the ice where do you put them.

Forsberg on our team i would put at about a 4. He can lay some solid checks but he tends to be more finesse. He would be our offensive catalyst if we have any success ES or PP.

Josi would be a 1.

Reactions: 3CanesInTheBox

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Jordan Staal-6, shutdown line, all the pk, netfront on the first PP (his toughness rating is a bit hard to gauge. The guy is like 225 pounds and doesn't really hit too much, but he is an unstoppable wall of man meat when he gets moving with the puck)
Steven Lorentz-3, fourth line grinder, very unlikely to get any pk or pp time. May not even be in the lineup if everyone is healthy
Cedric Paquette-7, also a fourth liner, may get some spot pk time
Nino Niederreiter-5, even strength anywhere in the top nine, second pp unit, no pk (he's similar to Staal, here, just not quite as large)
Dougie Hamilton- 3-6, first pair, quarterback on the first pp, second unit pk time (He's also a huge dude at 229 pounds, but he doesn't always play like it. In fact he usually doesn't, but occasionally he'll use his size to suprise guys with a bump)
Jani Hakanpaa-8, bottom pair, nothing on the powerplay, depth pk player
Brady Skjei- 2-7, second pair, probably no pp time, lots of pk time (like Dougie, he typically doesn't throw his body around much, but he is capable of it. See his hit on Fast in the play-ins last year)

Responses are in the quote, hope you guys make it in over f***ing Dallas :)

Last edited:

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
As a Preds fans who has gotten use to you guys repeatedly thumping us… i would like to get some input on some of your guys heading into the playoffs. any input is appreciated.

Jordan Staal
Steven Lorentz
Cedric Paquette
Nino Niederreiter
Dougie Hamilton
Jani Hakanpaa
Brady Skjei

if you had to just put a blanket statement or rating on these guys above on toughness where would they land. 1-10 scale metric to keep it simple and then what role do you see them playing in the playoffs? 4th line energy, forward who gets tough matchups, PK minute eater, etc.

toughness is not a how good of a fighter they are (that obviously helps) but just in terms of physical presence on the ice where do you put them.

Forsberg on our team i would put at about a 4. He can lay some solid checks but he tends to be more finesse. He would be our offensive catalyst if we have any success ES or PP.

Josi would be a 1.

Just my two cents. Also, I literally have ADD so I may have missed some of the details of your question, lol.

Jordan Staal - 8 (He's called Staal Bunyan for a reason :) ). He's having a resurgent year so, see him scoring some clutch goals (but not a ton) and generally bringing a lot of physicality to the ice. He's also a wizard at faceoffs, especially important ones.

Steven Lorentz --- Still feeling this out. Much more of a role guy in general though, who can have surprising bursts of offense.

Cedric Paquette - 6.5, maybe? He was clearly BROUGHT here to bring some more edge to the team and I think he kind of perfunctorily fills in that role. Definitely a 4th line anchor.

Nino Niederreiter: Pretty low, I'm not even sure how he made this list lol. He's having a real bounce-back year as a top 6 forward.

Dougie Hamilton: 4 maybe? he's definitely shed that really bad rep from the 2019 playoffs, but I see him as a skilled offensive D-men more than a "tough guy." He's apt to launch rockets at net

Jani Hakanpaa: Not a lot of data to work with, but I see him probably in the 7 range? He's definitely filled in a bit of a "bodyguard" role for our skill guys lol. Hopefully will be a solid bottom d paring with some clutch moments.

Brady Skjei:
6ish? He has a bit of a "dopey" demeanor (not to be mean), but he's laid some pretty epic hits and has lungs of steel. Ideally will be one of our top d-men if keeps it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
"Toughness". I am grading it by a 10 = Scott Stevens, 7 = mid 20s Ovechkin and 1 = (probably there are almost no hockey players who legit are a 1, but I'll go with) Henrik Sedin
Jordan Staal - 6. 3C on a great team, 2C on an OK team. He's our 3C, top PKer, net front PPer, absolute utility knife player. He is hugely invaluable to the team, and honestly if he goes down it's hard to imagine us going far in the playoffs.
Steven Lorentz - 3. 4W. Utility player who has a decent scoring touch. It's hard to say where his career will take him. This could be his only year in the show, or he could turn into someone's $5M mistake when he hits free agency if he scores 20 goals. I could see him being a 12G, 25-30 point type utility bottom 6 guy.
Cedric Paquette - 7. 4C. He has some fight and some snarl, and does lay big hits. Probably lays our most questionable hits, and gets penalized sometimes for it. He is no Jamie Benn douchebag but he isn't fun to play against.
Nino Niederreiter - 4. 1W or 2W. This year he has been fantastic, our 2nd most dangerous goal scorer next to Trochek. He is a monster on the forecheck. Good on the power play.
Dougie Hamilton - 5. 1D. Point guy on the PP, probably the best offensive D we've had in my lifetime. Great puck mover, makes some boneheaded defensive plays, but makes more good defensive plays than bad. Faces top competition. He isn't very tough, but he will make the occasional huge check. People don't mess around much with Dougie because a) he's huge and b) he can turn it into an offensive chance.
Jani Hakanpaa - 7. Our toughest customer, probably. 3rd pair 5D or 6D. Gritty.
Brady Skjei - 6. Ideal 4D. Excellent skating, great speed, good shot. Good on the PK. Muscles people on the boards pretty often.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
"Toughness". I am grading it by a 10 = Scott Stevens, 7 = mid 20s Ovechkin and 1 = (probably there are almost no hockey players who legit are a 1, but I'll go with) Henrik Sedin
Jordan Staal - 6. 3C on a great team, 2C on an OK team. He's our 3C, top PKer, net front PPer, absolute utility knife player. He is hugely invaluable to the team, and honestly if he goes down it's hard to imagine us going far in the playoffs.
Steven Lorentz - 3. 4W. Utility player who has a decent scoring touch. It's hard to say where his career will take him. This could be his only year in the show, or he could turn into someone's $5M mistake when he hits free agency if he scores 20 goals. I could see him being a 12G, 25-30 point type utility bottom 6 guy.
Cedric Paquette - 7. 4C. He has some fight and some snarl, and does lay big hits. Probably lays our most questionable hits, and gets penalized sometimes for it. He is no Jamie Benn douchebag but he isn't fun to play against.
Nino Niederreiter - 4. 1W or 2W. This year he has been fantastic, our 2nd most dangerous goal scorer next to Trochek. He is a monster on the forecheck. Good on the power play.
Dougie Hamilton - 5. 1D. Point guy on the PP, probably the best offensive D we've had in my lifetime. Great puck mover, makes some boneheaded defensive plays, but makes more good defensive plays than bad. Faces top competition. He isn't very tough, but he will make the occasional huge check. People don't mess around much with Dougie because a) he's huge and b) he can turn it into an offensive chance.
Jani Hakanpaa - 7. Our toughest customer, probably. 3rd pair 5D or 6D. Gritty.
Brady Skjei - 6. Ideal 4D. Excellent skating, great speed, good shot. Good on the PK. Muscles people on the boards pretty often.

At first I thought you were giving out grades like 6.3C and 5.1D and I was like 'Wow, this guy is getting pretty granular on this analysis' but then I learned how to read and it made much more sense.

Also, I use words like granular now because I am a businessman who reads reports and forecasts numbers for Q2 and all that. I'm very important.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
At first I thought you were giving out grades like 6.3C and 5.1D and I was like 'Wow, this guy is getting pretty granular on this analysis' but then I learned how to read and it made much more sense.

Also, I use words like granular now because I am a businessman who reads reports and forecasts numbers for Q2 and all that. I'm very important.

You are important.

I am like an old school hockey future grading system where Crosby is a 9.5C, Paquette is a 7.4C, and poor Nino is somehow a 4.1W. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad