Post-Game Talk: Hurricanes at Rangers - December 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I actually dont mind that we're not playing a full 60, but still manage to win. C'mon its only december, lots of time to "perfect" their game. As long as we get the 2.

If this were an isolated game that was out of the norm, it's perfectly fine. Every team is due bad games and bad periods. But what we saw in the first 40 is more indicative of what we've seen since the beginning of November. I want them to play like they did in the 3rd period for more than just 20 minutes in a game.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I actually dont mind that we're not playing a full 60, but still manage to win. C'mon its only december, lots of time to "perfect" their game. As long as we get the 2.

It pretty much never ever works this way but okay.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I am a little worried about the team's lack of stability and comfort in its identity. After a great start we had a rougher stretch. Something that everyone knew was coming sooner or later. And to be honest, we still played some great games mixed in with some pretty frustrating losses that we didn't deserve. And the odd really poor loss. Instantly we start to loose our footing and question our game-plan. What we saw during the first two periods last night was pretty obvious proof of where that will take us.. Like during the first we didn't even try to play hockey, it looked like we tried to copy Calgary anno 2003. Just chip the puck out and dump and chase. WTF? That style will -- never -- work in today's game. AV is a veteran coach, but to be honest I am pretty disappointed that he this fast is prepared to abandon his game plan and style just because we face a little adversity? Unless AV and co settle down and start bringing this team in the right direction again -- be prepared to see a lot more 3 shot periods. We got a fair share of them under Torts, and more will come if we think we can grind our way to pts without taking any risks in the NHL 2016...

Again, 2 of our speediest forwards are injured.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Just watched the game

Lundqvist was VERY good EXCEPT for the goals. They were bad again. He's gotta get these out of his game. No reason stalberg of all people should be beating him took his eye off the puck most likely because he actually got a pretty good chunk of it. and the 2nd one I don't see a tip. He wants that one back for sure. Focus as he keeps saying focus.

However it was a Night and Day performance compared to the buffalo game for him. Gotta keep playing don't sit him let him find a rhythm.

The stats thru the first two periods look a lot worse than what the actual game was like. There were long periods of time we dominated possession just weren't getting shots looking to make cute plays instead of missing the net. By the third period we took over.

Zuccarello is the worst guy on the ice night in and night out. Can't make a play to save his life. This has been going on for a month now. TRADE HIM. His buddies are gone the shine is gone. Move him. Soon as Buchnevich is back he should be dealt.

Better game from Klein.

Nash was great and stepan and Kreider played very well.

Again outside of the actual goals against which were not good. I thought hank had one of his best games.

Having said all that this team needs to play a lot better. Zuccarello looks ridiculous out there I am amazed watching him right now. We all know what Kreider is capable of. Pirri should be better.

Even mcdonagh. He needs to push the puck start taking over games he's capable of it.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Just watched the game

Lundqvist was VERY good EXCEPT for the goals. They were bad again. He's gotta get these out of his game. No reason stalberg of all people should be beating him took his eye off the puck most likely because he actually got a pretty good chunk of it. and the 2nd one I don't see a tip. He wants that one back for sure. Focus as he keeps saying focus.

However it was a Night and Day performance compared to the buffalo game for him. Gotta keep playing don't sit him let him find a rhythm.

The stats thru the first two periods look a lot worse than what the actual game was like. There were long periods of time we dominated possession just weren't getting shots looking to make cute plays instead of missing the net. By the third period we took over.

Zuccarello is the worst guy on the ice night in and night out. Can't make a play to save his life. This has been going on for a month now. TRADE HIM. His buddies are gone the shine is gone. Move him. Soon as Buchnevich is back he should be dealt.

Better game from Klein.

Again outside of the actual goals against which were not good. I thought hank had one of his best games.

Having said all that this team needs to play a lot better. Zuccarello looks ridiculous out there I am amazed watching him right now. We all know what Kreider is capable of. Pirri should be better.

Even mcdonagh. He needs to push the puck start taking over games he's capable of it.

If the merit for trading the best Rangers forward the past 3 years is a month long stretch of struggle, then I dont know what to say to you. That being said he was pretty good last night.

We must watch games in different universes

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
If the merit for trading the best Rangers forward the past 3 years is a month long stretch of struggle, then I dont know what to say to you. That being said he was pretty good last night.

We must watch games in different universes

Zuccarello was better yesterday than he's been recently, but he's generally looked lost over the past month. He's been making a lot of blind and/or dumb passes for quite a while.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Frankly we should be dealing him regardless for an upgrade on RD but the way he's playing makes it even easier to do. He's been horrible.

And if we're being honest he was no prize last year either. Put some points up but was an absolute liability on the defensive side of the puck all season.

He looked very good to start the year but is handling the puck like he's Jed ortmeyer for a month now.

Deal him as soon as Buch gets back. I wouldn't think twice about it.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I wish they would dump John Giannone as play by play announcer and move Kenny Albert (when he's not also doing football games) or have Joe Tolleson (Ranger's PA announcer) call the games on MSG. Would be a massive improvement to have either of those two call the game over Giannone.

Hearing that Giannone did the game makes me happy I had to watch the Carolina feed. John Forslund is tremendously underrated, and a good listen if he isn't pushing an agenda. He seems to have gotten over whatever bug was up his *** when broadcasting Ranger games.

Giannone has been filling in now for almost 10 years and it seems like he gets worse. He gives an extreme overview of the play-by-play, which means he doesn't give any kind of detail. Lots of dead air and stale broadcasting.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Frankly we should be dealing him regardless for an upgrade on RD but the way he's playing makes it even easier to do. He's been horrible.

And if we're being honest he was no prize last year either. Put some points up but was an absolute liability on the defensive side of the puck all season.

He looked very good to start the year but is handling the puck like he's Jed ortmeyer for a month now.

Deal him as soon as Buch gets back. I wouldn't think twice about it.

I'm not sold on Buchnevich, and I'm not sure if he's going to come back. He may have some strength issues that will not allow him to play in the NHL. I'm concerned about "back spasms" that turned into a weak core.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Christ I'm hoping you're wrong kid oozes skill I fully expect him back.

No doubt he came to camp out of shape though.

Abooch68

Aug 31, 2008
Giannone is pretty bad but did anyone hear Cangi on the Devils OT winner yesterday?

awful

I thought he had a stroke. He's always like that but that was the worst I've ever heard. I'd take giannone once in awhile over him any day. I kind of feel sorry for Devils fans. Is giannone replacing Sam when he retires. Boy, I hope not.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Zucc was good yesterday, don't think a bad month of play really warrants him being moved either. Just let him find his groove.

I'm not seeing what kovalev27 is seeing, at least not to the extent that he's making it out to be. Yes, he's smaller, but i swear i see him battling when he's clearly overmatched. He makes "deft plays" that maybe Kovalev27 is not seeing.

I dunno, I'm a huge fan of Zuccha, and it DOES seem like he's missing Brass big time, but I have to believe he's a true professional and loves this TEAM. He isn't sporting big numbers and not making enough plays, but they're not as bad as he's making it out to be.

I think its more that he gets moved "too often" around from line to line, AV is under the pretense that Zuccha can play with anyone.......may be true, but it would behoove him to have the same linemates for more than a few games.

I wonder if Brass clamours for Zuccha in exchange for Ceci in a deal that would bring a 6'2" 207 lb RH dman........that makes only 2.25 mil.

We'd clear up even more cap space. Dont wanna see him traded, but would fill a void and this is a business, not a love affair with ONE player.

Luther*

May 3, 2016
Just watched the game

Better game from Klein.

Just a quick thought on henrik,for a guy who's style depends on reflexes,he is getting older and his reflexes have slowed and rightly so it's a fact of life.Time to start getting out from underneathe the crossbar and come out and challenge shooters by making yourself look bigger and when the puck hits him it won't defect into net like all those soft goals in the last few games eg. Buffalo game that bouncing puck,if he's out of net instead of being stapled to goal line puck hits him and deflects to corner,ecihels goal he was inside net hits him deflects into net instead of off to the corner,stalbergs goal against Carolina he was back inside net hits his glove deflects into net if he's out deflects to the corner, kreiders tip 20 feet in front the puck just goes inside of post henrik spread out on goaline if he's out that puck hits his pad I know was a bit of screen put if you can't see it ,why would you stay back in the net where you have 50% less chance to stop it rather than coming out and maybe puck hits you,I know people will say he stopped some grade a chances earlier but just like a golfer you get 3 birdies and then follow it up with 3 boogies ,boogies being bad goals you just cancelled out your good saves..All the top goalies in the league make great saves and win the games for their teams facing 40 shots a game because their team is giving up a lot of great chances so if you think we are the only team giving up tough chances think again.I think hank is still in top 3 in league for goalies the only thing keeping him down is bad goals so if he doesn't get his rear ended out from under the crossbar and realize his reflexes have slowed,and come out 3 feet to challenge shooters we will be talking about soft goals the rest of the year and how bad a team we are!

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I'm not seeing what kovalev27 is seeing, at least not to the extent that he's making it out to be. Yes, he's smaller, but i swear i see him battling when he's clearly overmatched. He makes "deft plays" that maybe Kovalev27 is not seeing.

I dunno, I'm a huge fan of Zuccha, and it DOES seem like he's missing Brass big time, but I have to believe he's a true professional and loves this TEAM. He isn't sporting big numbers and not making enough plays, but they're not as bad as he's making it out to be.

I think its more that he gets moved "too often" around from line to line, AV is under the pretense that Zuccha can play with anyone.......may be true, but it would behoove him to have the same linemates for more than a few games.

I wonder if Brass clamours for Zuccha in exchange for Ceci in a deal that would bring a 6'2" 207 lb RH dman........that makes only 2.25 mil.

We'd clear up even more cap space. Dont wanna see him traded, but would fill a void and this is a business, not a love affair with ONE player.

Would never trade Zucc for Ceci unless there was a gigantic + from Ottawa. Ceci isn't even good.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If this were an isolated game that was out of the norm, it's perfectly fine. Every team is due bad games and bad periods. But what we saw in the first 40 is more indicative of what we've seen since the beginning of November. I want them to play like they did in the 3rd period for more than just 20 minutes in a game.
Exactly and that is what is very worrisome.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
How are we 1st wowzers

Goals, McJesus, Goals, Raanta, Goals, Grabner, Goals, Goals, Goals....

And Goals.

Really?

I'm a huge Lundqvist fan, and I think Lundqvist has been weaker since game 5 in 2014 when he was at his high water mark in his career.

Yet the Rangers are still successful.

I agree. He cost them the series against Tampa in 2015. If he doesn't let in that limp dick 65 foot wrister from Kucherov in OT in game 3 and they win that game, they could have won that series in 6 and beaten the Hawks in the finals.

The Hawks were a much better matchup for the Rangers.

I honestly cannot believe how long this support of the defense has been going on. We're at like two calendars years. How bad do they have to be lol. To each his own I guess.

The defense isn't good, but the support for Lundqvist is annoying, considering he clearly has not been good this season.

Hire John Tortorella as a Postgame Interview Consultant.....for some honesty and balls...and entertainment

Vignuts realized that the team didn't play well?

What's next, he tells us the sky is blue?

And people say I'm hyperbolic?

The hell are you talking about a decade?

Fine, let's talk about a decade.

2007, 2008, and 2009 the Rangers were great teams. Probably should have gone to the Finals in 2008 but luck wasn't on their side. Lost to the Penguins in five after severely outshooting them in all five games. The officiating was awful and it was easily Hank's worst series as a Ranger.

They weren't great in 2007, 2008 and 2009. What are you talking about?

2007 they had a good start and Shanahan died out as he got old and then had the concussion on that accidental collision with Knuble. That team was flawed and was screwed on a phantom goaltender interference call on Brad Isbister when the 2nd Ranger goal was scored in game 5 in Buffalo. We all know what happened after.

2008 was a deep offensive unit that didn't produce to the level it should have as Jagr wasn't happy because he didn't have both Straka and Nylander back. When they added Dubinsky to Straka and Jagr's line, they started producing. Both Straka's and Jagr's numbers took a major hit that year. Defense was still ****** and not improved.

2009 was an awful team that was lucky to get Nik Antropov and Sean Avery (back) midseason and they barely made the playoffs. Gomez underperformed and Zherdev lead them in scoring after they traded Tyutin for him.

2010 and 2011 they were awful, yes.

2012 was overrated but watchable. Wouldn't call it garbage.

2013 was severely underrated. For my money, better than the 2012 team. Fact of the matter is, nobody was stopping Boston out of the East that year.

On paper, the 2013 team was better than the 2012 team, but they didn't win.

I'll agree there, Boston was a buzz-saw and their dismantling of the Penguins in 4 games holding Crosby and Malkin to nothing was only further proof of the point.

The 2014 Rangers, the one you refer to with a Finals appearance, are the third best Eastern Conference team since the lockout (2013 Bruins, 2016 Penguins) The 2009 Pens and 2011 Bruins won Cups and weren't as good as that Rangers team.

2015 team had a couple of very, very bad flaws but they were still a good team and were 60 minutes from the Finals.

It's only 2016 and so far in 2017 that I've turned on this team. And yes, I think this team is impossible to watch and the stats are garbage. But even now, they have the best offense in the league.

The only years they were 100%, certified, unfiltered dog **** garbage were 2010 and 2011.

Every "nerd" on this forum would agree with most of what I said. So again, what are you talking about?

I agree that this team isn't as good as the record indicates, they're helped by a hot start in which they were playing dominant hockey, but Vigneault has zero adjustment plan when they start getting clogged up against through the neutral zone.

The second a team starts going into a 1-2-2 or a 1-3-1 formation, things go south and Vignuts has no idea of how to adjust. He literally just changes up the lines a little and hopes they break through. They have to be able to make adjustments. He gets outcoached, it's terrible.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Rangers don't make it past Washington without Hank in 2015, and there's no chance in hell they come close to beating Chicago with Boyle being their only healthy dman and without Zucc.

Drawing the Hawks in 2014 was the best chance they had and it still breaks my heart :(

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Rangers don't make it past Washington without Hank in 2015, and there's no chance in hell they come close to beating Chicago with Boyle being their only healthy dman and without Zucc.

Drawing the Hawks in 2014 was the best chance they had and it still breaks my heart :(

Both the Rangers and Mets got the wrong draw in the final. A damn shame.

Both series also went exactly the same way despite being two different sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad