GDT: Hurricane Season in Southern Alberta, CAR(14-10-1) @ CGY(10-12-3) 7PM SNW

How many times will the Flames draft in the first round of the 2024 NHL draft?

• Total voters

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Wow, Wolf presents so well. He's awesome! Loving his interview.
It's hard to be rational. He looks like a bonafide all-star level talent w the eye test. He struggles with deflections, but his absurd athleticism really makes up for his lack of size. If those of us really high on him are correct then it's tough that he may get a real shot when we're sellers and have to deal with a lottery type club for several yrs. I'm ready for the re-tool but still cheer all these comeback wins. Where were they last yr? Hilarious more than half our wins are comebacks.

That said , he'll be sure to keep us in that 8-10 seed range when we should be 13-14 I imagine just for the culture.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Waive Vladar at this point. I couldn't care less.
Honestly he has to know if he gets outplayed by Wolf while Markstrom is out he’s done here. If no one wants to offer a trade he will be sent down. Wolf probably gets the next start now and obviously one of the back to backs. He puts on another poor showing in whichever of the two he plays, can’t imagine him getting many more opportunities to win back his NHL job.

Reactions: Boomstick

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Dube with the least amount of ice time out of forwards I feel like he might be the first one out the door of the current roster he stunk again tonight
Sell him to Chicago, they are desperate for any sort of offense and he’s still young enough and an RFA. Some top minutes and powerplay time could help him rediscover himself. We get more cap space, whatever 3rd-4th rounder he returns, and a roster spot for Pelletier/Coronato.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
It's hard to be rational. He looks like a bonafide all-star level talent w the eye test. He struggles with deflections, but his absurd athleticism really makes up for his lack of size. If those of us really high on him are correct then it's tough that he may get a real shot when we're sellers and have to deal with a lottery type club for several yrs. I'm ready for the re-tool but still cheer all these comeback wins. Where were they last yr? Hilarious more than half our wins are comebacks.

That said , he'll be sure to keep us in that 8-10 seed range when we should be 13-14 I imagine just for the culture.

Even with those I've noticed that he tracks them well its just more of a timing issue. Wolf has legitimate elite potential, if he stays up for awhile it will be hard to send him back down.

Reactions: flames23

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I’m not ready to give up on Dube (even though he’s approaching his ceiling). I think he’s one of those guys who isn’t built for the wing, and I’d love for him to get a run out at centre after Lindholm is gone

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Woooot? Was driving to the airport and listening to the radio. We were 2 down after the 2nd and I was livid!!!Just went through the security and we we won 3:2!!

Wow, that 3rd must have been something!

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
This right here is why Dustin Wolf is an excellent goalie and a true winner. Even after a bad start he keeps his team in it.

Awesome teammate, bring enthusiasm and confidence. You can always count on the guy. Hopefully he stays up the rest of the way.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Btw, because everyone around me said it was obvious, but I did not think the third canes goal was goalie interference. I’d love to see another replay because it did not look it to me.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Btw, because everyone around me said it was obvious, but I did not think the third canes goal was goalie interference. I’d love to see another replay because it did not look it to me.
It... was obvious. Can't forcibly push the goalie to his right just before a shot goes to his left and expect it to count. Did you just not see the stick on the replay or did you think it was Tanev's stick?

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Going to say something really controversial here, but I think Dustin Wolf is better than Dusty Nickel.
Who's with me?
:eek3:
that is a bold take

Not sure why the Flames have such a problem with the first half hour of games. They really looked like crap for much of this one before coming on late. Bad passes, poor coverage, maybe 1 or 2 scoring chances generated. Nice comeback tho, got to give em credit they don't die easy.

AwwoooOOOOoo: Wolf first(meaningful) NHL W for the young tender has to feel good. Cpl tips he didn't have much chance on and other than that had everything that was thrown at him without being interfered with. Love his feet and how quickly he's on his angle. Expecting big things from the young man, I think he's really really good.

Good : Coleman had one of his best games in a while. Nice shorty for the GWG but even before that was driving play in the right direction most of the night. Kadri also skated well, had some quality dives, threw some hits. He's not really skilled enough to be a consistent producer in this league anymore but when he's skating he does cause some chaos in the OZ, thought he was our best skater. Solo much better than the Wild game, liked his outlets and had a physical presence. Weegar again a nice job to avoid the Canes forecheck and transition, created a lot of net front chances offensively.

Pretty good : Huberdeau is a much better player when he moves his feet and gets himself physically involved. Zary & Pospisil with lots of hustle plays getting to pucks first and keeping possessions alive. Ras nice net drive goal to start off the comeback and a slippery little pass on the tying G. Also bad flail on the Canes' 2nd goal where he lost it in his feet. Been a little all over the place this season.

Decent : Hanifin & Tanev a better outing, really steady but didn't offer much offensively. Ruzicka give this guy more than 8 minutes please, good things happen more often than not when he's in the center of the ice.

Not bad : Backs was mostly fine, trying to be too cute a cpl shifts. Sharangovich back on the struggle bus, but no real glaring errors either. Nice work on the PK. Mangiapane was.. better? Not by much really but at least he held on to the puck effectively a cpl times. Gilbert was also better than he has been, limited player but the effort is always there.

Not good : Greer couldn't take or make a pass. Dube just seems lost man, believe that was a season low 5:37 TOI for him. Just don't love him on the wing, would rather they make him 4C and get him to simplify. Starting to look like he could use a change of scenery. Lindholm is pissing me off, counted at least 4 or 5 instances where he just bailed on a puck battle. Seems clear he's not getting with the program here, have no idea how he's leading us in scoring honestly because he has sucked for a lot of this season.

Bad : PP is just a sad joke at this point. Should Brent Sutter them and put out 5 dmen next opportunity.

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
I second your point about Wolf's feet. His movement truly is elite. I've been watching hockey my whole life and maybe it seems subtle to some but to me it's the first thing I notice with him besides making a 6' tendie look a Vernon 5'9 in there sometimes haha. So used to 6'5 or 6'6 tendies that a regular 6 footer looks absurdly small.

Very very excited about him. And look forward to us doing the Calgary flames thing and sending him back down when Marky is healed. Lol.

Ruzicka needs more ice for sure. 8 mins is very low.

Reactions: Boomstick

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I second your point about Wolf's feet. His movement truly is elite. I've been watching hockey my whole life and maybe it seems subtle to some but to me it's the first thing I notice with him besides making a 6' tendie look a Vernon 5'9 in there sometimes haha. So used to 6'5 or 6'6 tendies that a regular 6 footer looks absurdly small.

Very very excited about him. And look forward to us doing the Calgary flames thing and sending him back down when Marky is healed. Lol.

Ruzicka needs more ice for sure. 8 mins is very low.
Just as a sidenote, I met Vernon before. I know his bio says 5'9, but he is absolutely no taller than 5'6. If he's 5'9 I'm 5'11 (I wish haha). I'm a rounded 5'8 and while I didn't tower over him, I am noticeably taller.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Just as a sidenote, I met Vernon before. I know his bio says 5'9, but he is absolutely no taller than 5'6. If he's 5'9 I'm 5'11 (I wish haha). I'm a rounded 5'8 and while I didn't tower over him, I am noticeably taller.

Short kings out here.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It was a thing they started doing last year I believe whenever Wolf won a game, so they just role with it.

In the post game interview, Wolf said they started it in Stockton to Christen the net. After doing that, Solo will spray him in the face before he gets off the ice.

I don't think he ever explained why he and Solo do it though. Just that it started in Stockton and what the ritual involves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad