OT: Hunting/Fishing/Outdoors Thread

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I will be visiting sooke, BC first week of Sept. Hoping to do some shore fishing... Good advise above about a local pro shop... these guys/girls usually know the spots and amateurs like me aren't a threat :)

Some stuff I read online talk about not using anything fancy from the show and just go with buzz bombs. I did try buzz bombs a couple of times here on Bow in Calgary and never landed anything on them. But some people swear by them (if you believe the internet). Will give it a go...
Was just through Sooke a couple weeks ago on my way to Port Renfrew. Hiked from PR to Lake Cowichan. Beautiful country.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Was just through Sooke a couple weeks ago on my way to Port Renfrew. Hiked from PR to Lake Cowichan. Beautiful country.
Bet that's a nice hike. I hear the road is paved all the way now? It's been a while since I drove that line.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Bet that's a nice hike. I hear the road is paved all the way now? It's been a while since I drove that line.
We didn't do the whole thing, but probably 85%. It was real dry so the trails were easier. The road is paved but there are spots where it gets rough, nothing crazy. Had excellent weather, 20 as a high, which is perfect for walking.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Walleye, Trout and Salmon, mostly. Don't mind doing a lot of road.

Very diversified. Sadly none of them share the same waters. Gathering you be in the MTL area, and have no idea the closest Salmon region that's within driving distance however.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Very diversified. Sadly none of them share the same waters. Gathering you be in the MTL area, and have no idea the closest Salmon region that's within driving distance however.

Well, you can catch landlocked salmon about an hour and a half away from Montreal (driving distance, of course), but it's not exactly common and I wouldn't plan a fishing trip around that possibility.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Driving distance isnt a problem. We like going on the road. Anything within 12 hours is somewhat reasonable if theres something habitable around.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Driving distance isnt a problem. We like going on the road. Anything within 12 hours is somewhat reasonable if theres something habitable around.

Salmon are fun to snag,guess that would be pretty long drive though. Rouge Matawin has some good walleye holes,but need to find them. An array of lakes with different species all over in that park,and somewhat close to MTL.

Reactions: Andrei79

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Well, you can catch landlocked salmon about an hour and a half away from Montreal (driving distance, of course), but it's not exactly common and I wouldn't plan a fishing trip around that possibility.

Where about? is a special permit required?

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
There are salmon rivers as close as 4 hours from Montreal (Riviere du Gouffre) in the Charlevoix region. The Salmon rivers start from this area and go all the way up the "Cote Nord" of the Fleuve St Laurent. The best salmon rivers in the province are in the Gaspesie penisula.

A special permit is needed for Salmon, and it more expensive than the regular Quebec Fishing Permit.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Where about? is a special permit required?

No special permit (other than Fishing Licence) required for Landlocked Salmon in non-ZEC areas.
There's Landlocked Salmon in the Eastern Townships.

For Atlantic Salmon, it basically starts in Charlevoix.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
No special permit (other than Fishing Licence) required for Landlocked Salmon in non-ZEC areas.
There's Landlocked Salmon in the Eastern Townships.

For Atlantic Salmon, it basically starts in Charlevoix.

So for landlocked salmon no permit is required? Good to know as I always get charged in Nunavut for potential salmon not to mention Caribou.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
There are salmon rivers as close as 4 hours from Montreal (Riviere du Gouffre) in the Charlevoix region. The Salmon rivers start from this area and go all the way up the "Cote Nord" of the Fleuve St Laurent. The best salmon rivers in the province are in the Gaspesie penisula.

A special permit is needed for Salmon, and it more expensive than the regular Quebec Fishing Permit.

From what I member the tags were rather steep for salmon. Did't know they made it that far in though. Good to know,thanks,know when they run?

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
From what I member the tags were rather steep for salmon. Did't know they made it that far in though. Good to know,thanks,know when they run?

The season normally runs from the start of June to the end of September..it really depends on the river though. Here is a list of all the salmon rivers in Quebec and start and end dates.

Saumon Québec site sur la pêche au saumon

Reactions: angusyoung

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Any idea how the knee injury might have happened?

giphy.gif

Haha.. Nothing as spectacular as that although that may or may not have happened to me a few times back in my younger days drinking in da shed with da boys.. :)

Reactions: OldCraig71

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
What are the best camping/fishing/hiking spots in/around MTL?

Last edited:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Haha.. Nothing as spectacular as that although that may or may not have happened to me a few times back in my younger days drinking in da shed with da boys.. :)
I am due for a great binge of shed partying. My last great one was in 2014, a full week of 5 am nights, quite a time bye!

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I had an accident about 10 years ago getting a moose out of the woods at max 3 kmh, in Gaspésie.
Rushed to hospital by my buds, I ended up having 3 surgeries because of spinal cord compression....6 fused vertebreas.....and was forced to retire from my job
I just recently decided to sell my rifles, but kept all my shotguns , someday I might go back duck hunting or grouse hunting.
Deer and moose hunting is definetly over for me;
Like I always say ; moose hunting is all fun and games till you actually kill one and have to get it back to camp.

Sorry to hear about your accident. You're 100% right though in saying moose hunting is all fun and games until you kill one and have to get it back to camp. Where we use to hunt moose we would sometimes walk for hours and the moose kill would be miles from our cabin. We would cut the moose into manageable sections to carry and strap about a 100 lbs on our back and walk for maybe 4-6 hours carrying that at times. The next day we would have to go back in and do the same all over again to get the rest of the meat out.

Thankfully I'm much smarter in my advancing age :) and now hunt moose from woods roads and using ATV's. Moose hunting these days is a piece of cake compared to what we did back in the 80's and 90's. Back then though you really needed that moose for your supply of winter meat but all that as changed for me know since I don't eat moose nearly as often as I did back then even though I still enjoy eating it.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Sorry to hear about your accident. You're 100% right though in saying moose hunting is all fun and games until you kill one and have to get it back to camp. Where we use to hunt moose we would sometimes walk for hours and the moose kill would be miles from our cabin. We would cut the moose into manageable sections to carry and strap about a 100 lbs on our back and walk for maybe 4-6 hours carrying that at times. The next day we would have to go back in and do the same all over again to get the rest of the meat out.

Thankfully I'm much smarter in my advancing age :) and now hunt moose from woods roads and using ATV's. Moose hunting these days is a piece of cake compared to what we did back in the 80's and 90's. Back then though you really needed that moose for your supply of winter meat but all that as changed for me know since I don't eat moose nearly as often as I did back then even though I still enjoy eating it.
I have similar experiences sir. That was hunting in it's truest form. I have some stories myself. I remember a 10 hour hunting day full of cows and just at dusk a beautiful bull appears out of nowhere and in the panic, the cap was over the scope and he got away. At least a 25 point bull, just a beautiful animal.

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I have similar experiences sir. That was hunting in it's truest form. I have some stories myself. I remember a 10 hour hunting day full of cows and just at dusk a beautiful bull appears out of nowhere and in the panic, the cap was over the scope and he got away. At least a 25 point bull, just a beautiful animal.

Yes it was but it was also out of necessity as well for many since that moose meat was so very important to get you though the winter especially living in a small fishing community. I imagine it was the same for many in Newfoundland especially those in the smaller towns.

Looking back now it makes you realize just how difficult it was back then to literally put meat on the table but it had to be done. Even though it really wasn't that long ago things have really changed a lot since then especially concerning moose hunting where I live.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Yes it was but it was also out of necessity as well for many since that moose meat was so very important to get you though the winter especially living in a small fishing community. I imagine it was the same for many in Newfoundland especially those in the smaller towns.

Looking back now it makes you realize just how difficult it was back then to literally put meat on the table but it had to be done. Even though it really wasn't that long ago things have really changed a lot since then especially concerning moose hunting where I live.

Fascinating stories. I've never hunted but once accompanied someone in my family who was a hunter and brought me with him, to a forest not far from his country home. There was an eerie calm as we walked through it. He didn't shoot anything and when we got out, he saw an angry pitbull about 200 feet away, growling in our direction. I remember how he stared him down as he slowly angled the rifle towards the dog. I thought there might have been an escalation leading to a shot but instead of that, the dog seemed to understand that he was no match, turned around and left.

That was my "hunting" experience. So when I hear of kills and meat, and walking several hours with what you've killed ... man, that's like the wild west to those of us who never experienced hunting out of need.

Talk about meat, I remember a time when people hauled coolers to the beach (no wheels) loaded with steaks. It was the same days where no sunscreen was needed and where an adult male would wolf down several steaks cause no one had the faintest idea that it was bad for them, lol. Good times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad