OT: Hunting/Fishing/Outdoors Thread

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Shot a deer this morning. First day of season. Makes third year in row I shot one first few days of season. Pic of me on my wheeler

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1697661126562.jpg
    FB_IMG_1697661126562.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Yup a wild Atlantic salmon caught while fly fishing is the only salmon I'll eat.
Coho are running at the moment. Not only tasty but a thrill when caught on a Spey rod. The eagles are having an easier time.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Coho are running at the moment. Not only tasty but a thrill when caught on a Spey rod. The eagles are having an easier time.
Caught a wild Atlantic under the sarnia Bluewater bridge last weekend! Taste is amazing.

Also made a huge mistake today lost a Mepps#3 on a bad knot.. the poor fish ( 3 pound ) was jumping all over after it broke the lure off the line. Feel horrible.

Wife’s first bluegill and my Atlantic.

Attachments

• F8F74A24-0DBF-4FAF-B4B1-32EF74903331.jpeg
    F8F74A24-0DBF-4FAF-B4B1-32EF74903331.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 7
  • DB57A25B-8D0E-4465-809F-C69FED482C00.jpeg
    DB57A25B-8D0E-4465-809F-C69FED482C00.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 4

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Congrats! My father shot an 8 point bull moose about a week ago in Nfld and unfortunately, I couldn't be there to be part of it all but I am getting a quarter of the meat (100lbs).
Geez, big animal. A lot of steak and roast in him. I never been moose hunting, none in my area.

What province you hunt in? NFLD?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Geez, big animal. A lot of steak and roast in him. I never been moose hunting, none in my area.

What province you hunt in? NFLD?
Yes, he lives in NF and usually gets a license each year. I was supposed to be part of the hunting this year but things didn't work out. Lots of roasts and steaks and also we preserve some by bottling. Did you get a mule deer or was it a white tail?

Reactions: Runner77

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yes, he lives in NF and usually gets a license each year. I was supposed to be part of the hunting this year but things didn't work out. Lots of roasts and steaks and also we preserve some by bottling. Did you get a mule deer or was it a white tail?
White tail. Last year I got two bucks. We have the general season. Then allowed another with muzzle loader license. Not sure if I shoot another this year or not. I gave a lot of meat away last year.

Reactions: OldCraig71

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Congrats! My father shot an 8 point bull moose about a week ago in Nfld and unfortunately, I couldn't be there to be part of it all but I am getting a quarter of the meat (100lbs).

My brother and father are going at the same place for moose hunting every year for the last 6-7? Anyway, they've killed one every year. I'm also glad to getting some of that meat :snide:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
My brother and father are going at the same place for moose hunting every year for the last 6-7? Anyway, they've killed one every year. I'm also glad to getting some of that meat :snide:
The meat is great and especially now with the insane prices in grocery stores.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
The meat is great and especially now with the insane prices in grocery stores.

pork is still cheap though

but yeah, my father puts quite a bit of the ground meat into sausages. I probably have more sausages at home than anything else haha but they really taste so good

my brother made a moose tartare a few days ago and, then again, it's so good

A few years ago, my father kept the t-bones too. man they were huge

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
pork is still cheap though

but yeah, my father puts quite a bit of the ground meat into sausages. I probably have more sausages at home than anything else haha but they really taste so good

my brother made a moose tartare a few days ago and, then again, it's so good

A few years ago, my father kept the t-bones too. man they were huge
I like to do roasts in the slow cooker, add some onions and garlic and veggies near the end to make a perfect stew, it's so good to have on a cold winter day.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Caught a wild Atlantic under the sarnia Bluewater bridge last weekend! Taste is amazing.

Also made a huge mistake today lost a Mepps#3 on a bad knot.. the poor fish ( 3 pound ) was jumping all over after it broke the lure off the line. Feel horrible.

Wife’s first bluegill and my Atlantic.

Nice Atlantic and bluegill! Medium action gear for the Atlantic? We do see a few up here that have escaped from fish farms.

Right now, I'm using a purple Coho Killer with a Sage 15ft Spey up near Whistler. Late rains finally brought the water levels up so sinking line makes sense. Water is cold even in full waders. I'm hoping to make it to the Skagit before season closes. Last chance to use ultralight tackle.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Nice Atlantic and bluegill! Medium action gear for the Atlantic? We do see a few up here that have escaped from fish farms.

Right now, I'm using a purple Coho Killer with a Sage 15ft Spey up near Whistler. Late rains finally brought the water levels up so sinking line makes sense. Water is cold even in full waders. I'm hoping to make it to the Skagit before season closes. Last chance to use ultralight tackle.
For the Atlantic I was using my light action 9’ salmon/steelhead rod by Shakespeare with a lightweight reel by dawai. 6lb braid with a 6lb mono leader, 1/4 ounce cleos rain supreme for me in those waters.

I’ve got a 8’6” medium/light action BlackBeauty from Shakespeare also I’ve had for a long time it’s so nice it’s action is amazing and it takes anything from light weight stuff to medium heavy. The actions is unmatched when casting and retrieving and even when bluegill fishing you can feel every nibble even with bobber.

Are you trolling off the boat? Or casting that lure?? It looks like a light lure?

Last edited:
Reactions: kyne

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Very late getting into fishing but started mackerel fishing last year with the kids, always at Bedford Basin. We all have a blast.

My middle guy wants to try pollock fishing ( guy gave us some and they were tasty in fish and chips ). They were small though.

We have 6 foot 6 ugly stiks. Just wondering if 8 foot Big Water rods would be good to cast further into deeper water to get bigger pollock. Anybody know how far that rod might cast, and from where around Halifax ( thinking the Basin not the best spot ) we might be able to cast from shore to get some decent pollock ? Any other tips, like lures, would be appreciated.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
For the Atlantic I was using my light action 9’ salmon/steelhead rod by Shakespeare with a lightweight reel by dawai. 6lb braid with a 6lb mono leader, 1/4 ounce cleos rain supreme for me in those waters.

I’ve got a 8’6” medium/light action BlackBeauty from Shakespeare also I’ve had for a long time it’s so nice it’s action is amazing and it takes anything from light weight stuff to medium heavy. The actions is unmatched when casting and retrieving and even when bluegill fishing you can feel every nibble even with bobber.

Are you trolling off the boat? Or casting that lure?? It looks like a light lure?
It's always great to have that rod you can do anything with in a pinch. Do you use a baitcasting reel?

River and stream fishing is more my thing. Felt soled boots, waders, polarized glasses, fly rod and walking all day. The journey is half the thrill. ;)

For the Skagit river, I use an old Fenwick ultralight and a Stradic with 6lb mono or spider line when I do use spin tackle. It's Browns and Dolly Varden mainly so Vibrax, Aglias # 3 or 4 and the likes. It's a classic fast moving gravel/rock bottom trout stream and all catch and release so you can get some very pleasant surprises.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Very late getting into fishing but started mackerel fishing last year with the kids, always at Bedford Basin. We all have a blast.

My middle guy wants to try pollock fishing ( guy gave us some and they were tasty in fish and chips ). They were small though.

We have 6 foot 6 ugly stiks. Just wondering if 8 foot Big Water rods would be good to cast further into deeper water to get bigger pollock. Anybody know how far that rod might cast, and from where around Halifax ( thinking the Basin not the best spot ) we might be able to cast from shore to get some decent pollock ? Any other tips, like lures, would be appreciated.
Do pollock hit spoons?

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I think so.
Find some old school Little Cleos. It’s a spoon bait. My favorite in Great Lakes shore casting lure of all time. You can cast them a mile so to speak. Find line that will handle the snap of the cast.. Once you figure it out, line, you’ll need to figure out a count down. If pollock are surface feeders? Just start reeling. If they are deeper? You might have to let the spoon sink a bit to get in their feeding depth. In any case? Enjoy the process!

Reactions: yianik

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Any hunters left on here? It's almost that time of year.

I laid this morning just for fun. Doe came out, I could have taken her down but only had load of bird shot on me. Shot two partridges walking out though. Make my dinner tomorrow. Crazy amount of bear signs around this year. Never seen that many signs all my life.

Pic of my deer tree and partridges

Attachments

• IMG_20231018_172400.jpg
    IMG_20231018_172400.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20231009_130335206.jpg
    PXL_20231009_130335206.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 5

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Any hunters left on here? It's almost that time of year.

I laid this morning just for fun. Doe came out, I could have taken her down but only had load of bird shot on me. Shot two partridges walking out though. Make my dinner tomorrow. Crazy amount of bear signs around this year. Never seen that many signs all my life.

Pic of my deer tree and partridges
First year of my life I will miss pheasant season because of health. Waiting for a hip. Gave it a go last year but after 3 2hr trips I knew it was over for now. :( Thankfully the dogs are well past their prime and I don't think they could handle much more anyways. Will still try and get to a few coyote stands this year but refuse to overdo it anymore. Old age sucks.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Wall-Eye fishing and pike fishing (more actual sport with bigger fight and much sharper teeth than Wall-Eye) are my newfound hobby.

Going for a last chance fishing trip north of Mont-Laurier in Quebec at a place that stays open all year round. First frost is this coming weekend, but my trip will be the 3rd, 4th and 5th of November.

I've never been to this one, but I know the lakes and rivers that connect and the fish are aplenty, so the place should still be stocked with plenty of potential catches..

I'm going lake fishing. It's going to be cold, for sure, especially as it always gets colder out on the lake. I've never been fishing this late in the year.

I hear the fish bite when it's cold and that it should not be a problem. Can anyone confirm that, particularly when it comes to Wall-Eye and Pike?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
First year of my life I will miss pheasant season because of health. Waiting for a hip. Gave it a go last year but after 3 2hr trips I knew it was over for now. :( Thankfully the dogs are well past their prime and I don't think they could handle much more anyways. Will still try and get to a few coyote stands this year but refuse to overdo it anymore. Old age sucks.
Im 60, getting near the end for me also. I go for something to do, I'm semi-retired.

Had bad today, all morning in woods, never seen a thing.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Did some ice fishing with a few of the guys on my friends lake or is called ''drinking early and all day''? :dunno: Nice spread and who doesn't appreciate a nice spread right? :DD The only thing caught of note though was a pretty decent buzz. Did see a lot of wildlife, Deer, fox, bunnies and tons of birds, he's got feeders and that attracts all sorts. We were on the deck having a couple of cold ones when it was sunny and gorgeous and out of no where, a hawk landed on the railing not 5 feet away and just stared at us. Big f-in bird and looking menacing, just sat there checking us out and looking around and then casually flew off. My buddy said that he's seen it before and throws scraps over the deck and that brings critters around, I'm good with that.:thumbu::thumbu:

Visited some friends way up up north, haven't felt cold like that in forever, invigorating! :snow: We were bringing back some fresh caribou on snowmobile when we saw tracks from an adult male polar bear. He said that we have to go take care of it as there was still plenty of light left. Wasn't sure what he meant but had a good idea. We followed the tracks to see where he was and after a while we ended up back at our track marks, and he was following us! :eek2: Must have smelled the fresh meat as those beasts can smell great distances. We back tracked and spotted him and my friend put a couple of shots in the air, :phew: much to my relief that he didn't shoot him, and he took off in another direction. I'm an animal lover and love seeing them, just prefer when it's not a surprise!:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad