OT: Hunting/Fishing/Outdoors Thread

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
WOUKD probably have to exchange emails.....don’t think pics of us with dead moose would go over too well in these parts lol

Last 3 hunts of shot 4 bulls and one cow

53”
52”
50”
47”

If I remember correctly, those were the spreads.....we a group of 6

I also wish you a safe hunt.....as I tell all my fellow hunters, the #1 goal of our hunt is to come back alive...control your muzzles, empty chambers in the canoe and when you walk into camp, call the status of your rifle, bolt up and safety on.......cheers man

I wouldn't think pics of a dead moose legally obtained should bother anyone in this thread. At least, I'd hope not.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I wouldn't think pics of a dead moose legally obtained should bother anyone in this thread. At least, I'd hope not.

Are you sure about that?

Speaking of dead moose ...

oJdyHSM.jpg

puke.gif

Last edited:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I once knew someone who ordered smoked salmon from the Maritimes (I forget which province) and had me try it.

What I remember from the experience is that the taste was so rich that the flavor lingered in my mouth literally for hours.

I was told that it's due to the process being used. In this case, I was told that the salmon was smoked outside, in the sun. I have no idea if this is true.

What I'm wondering now is where I might be able to order some smoked salmon online . Maybe one of our Maritime posters may recommend a place.
It’s the mercury that lingers... lmao

Reactions: groovejuice

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I once knew someone who ordered smoked salmon from the Maritimes (I forget which province) and had me try it.

What I remember from the experience is that the taste was so rich that the flavor lingered in my mouth literally for hours.

I was told that it's due to the process being used. In this case, I was told that the salmon was smoked outside, in the sun. I have no idea if this is true.

What I'm wondering now is where I might be able to order some smoked salmon online . Maybe one of our Maritime posters may recommend a place.

Also heard that farmed salmon is dyed to the color that we are all familiar with.,and the beat goes on.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Been using a lot of rattletraps lately and I have to say they are becoming my go to lure. Incredible effective and versatile. Pike, bass, walleye, and even an Uber aggressive bluegill lmao
Hooks are too small for musky

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
WOUKD probably have to exchange emails.....don’t think pics of us with dead moose would go over too well in these parts lol

Last 3 hunts of shot 4 bulls and one cow

53”
52”
50”
47”

If I remember correctly, those were the spreads.....we a group of 6

I also wish you a safe hunt.....as I tell all my fellow hunters, the #1 goal of our hunt is to come back alive...control your muzzles, empty chambers in the canoe and when you walk into camp, call the status of your rifle, bolt up and safety on.......cheers man

Just remember this part of the rule:
5) Offensive Content: This is a site for ages 13 and up. Minors will be viewing our content, and threads are searchable on the web. Do not post slurs and stereotypes, sexually-oriented material, gore (human or animal), or any other potentially objectionable material. Our users are diverse in all ways so please respect that. Do not circumvent the profanity filter with alternate spellings/characters. Simply type out the word and let the filter handle it. Do not wish injury upon anyone, whether a site member or not.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

I don't think that there is a commercial salmon fishery anywhere in the Maritimes, it's mostly farmed salmon unless it was caught fly fishing in a river. Farmed salmon is nowhere near the quality of a free-range one and is actually considered to be quite toxic.
https://www.organicconsumers.org/news/farmed-salmon-toxic-flame-Pejorative Slurants

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think that there is a commercial salmon fishery anywhere in the Maritimes, it's mostly farmed salmon unless it was caught fly fishing in a river. Farmed salmon is nowhere near the quality of a free-range one and is actually considered to be quite toxic.
News

Thanks, good to know. I guess you’re telling me it’s best to catch it myself and do my own smoking, lol.

Reactions: OldCraig71

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Any of you guys/gals have orca stories? Spent a lot of time in the water while in the military. Had one encounter that I literarily shit myself. We were happily working at about 40 feet when there was a noticeable surge of water. We were on the bottom and I was outside left/port. I honestly did not want to turn around but did. There, just hovering and looking at me, was an orca. About 15 feet away. I’m 6’2 and it’s head/front quarter was easily 5 feet in diameter. Crazy part? There were NO whale songs prior. Turned around and called topside. Incredible animals! I would have not known it was there except for the water it displaced. Love it!

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Any of you guys/gals have orca stories? Spent a lot of time in the water while in the military. Had one encounter that I literarily **** myself. We were happily working at about 40 feet when there was a noticeable surge of water. We were on the bottom and I was outside left/port. I honestly did not want to turn around but did. There, just hovering and looking at me, was an orca. About 15 feet away. I’m 6’2 and it’s head/front quarter was easily 5 feet in diameter. Crazy part? There were NO whale songs prior. Turned around and called topside. Incredible animals! I would have not known it was there except for the water it displaced. Love it!

I've never had an encounter with orca's but they've been spotted around where I live in Newfoundland quite a few times in the past few years. I can never seem get out to look for them but would love to see them since I've never seen one.

According to the local news there have been a few sightings around Newfoundland again this summer and again in my area this year but I still haven't gotten out. There have also been many sightings of basking sharks around my area this year as well and more than I can ever remember hearing about before.

Here's a local CBC news clip from August 1st of this year showing an encounter with a pod of orca's in Salmon Cove, Newfoundland. I would love to eventually encounter something like this some day.

Reactions: OldCraig71

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Hey OC. Have you seen this clip of the moose diving off a cliff in Nippers Harbour, NL posted by any of your Newfoundland friends today? I saw it on the local CBC news last night. Thankfully it survived and looked fine but that's one crazy moose.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Hey OC. Have you seen this clip of the moose diving off a cliff in Nippers Harbour, NL posted by any of your Newfoundland friends today? I saw it on the local CBC news last night. Thankfully it survived and looked fine but that's one crazy moose.

I saw it last night when someone posted it, at first I thought that the moose fell off the cliff. The moose survived the fall and was swimming by the end of the clip, I have seen them in the ocean before but never in such a dramatic manner as that lol. It seems odd that a moose would do that. There might have been coyotes/wolves that chased him to the edge and he might have been scared to go back, very strange.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
It’s not gory though, like no blood or tongues sticking out.

Everything we do is legal. Is there a difference between holding a dead fish by the gills or posing beside an animal that is not moving??

Serious question
Sometimes a fish has a chance to get away, but once caught, there's no difference I guess. What ticks me off is those big game hunters posing besides a dead elephant, lion, or other great beast. Wish the animal got its revenge.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sometimes a fish has a chance to get away, but once caught, there's no difference I guess. What ticks me off is those big game hunters posing besides a dead elephant, lion, or other great beast. Wish the animal got its revenge.

Revenge has been occurring more and more thanks to people’s vanity in putting themselves in dumb situations by getting too close to dangerous wild animals just to get a selfie.

Dying for the perfect selfie: Animal attacks and social media • Earth.com

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
It came from the post I was replying to. There is no real “revenge”, just poetic licence within the context.
Thanks! For a moment I thought that you were implying that the animals on our planet had the ability to seek revenge.... Revenge is a fairly high caliber construct. I’ll be honest, my fruit fly problem from years ago seemed to be a calculated attack on my home, but that was the insect kingdom.

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks! For a moment I thought that you were implying that the animals on our planet had the ability to seek revenge.... Revenge is a fairly high caliber construct. I’ll be honest, my fruit fly problem from years ago seemed to be a calculated attack on my home, but that was the insect kingdom.

Fruit flies are upon us. As are peaches from the Niagara region. I buy a ton of them every year and sure enough, I saw some today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad