OT: Humour Thread

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
@kanadalainen, that's brilliant. I was really blown away when I read it, even after the fourth or fifth time. Never has #24 been rendered so well. I admit I was miffed when I posted a picture of myself in here and you complained that the thread was devolving down the "shitter", but you've more than redeemed yourself with this one.

Still not sure about the strange fish but I suppose that's part of the colour in this place.

Thank you for your literary tribute. Immortalized? I don't think so but certainly a legend to last a lunch time, as someone once wrote.
There's more where that came from. :) My "shitter" comment was not directed at you BTW.

Coelacanth history on HFJets: basically its me yelling at the team to score. I ran out of expletives, and so exhorted them as "ye pack of salivating coelacanths".

It stuck somehow.

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I feel snubbed - I didn't even get mentioned at all.

Why yes, I'm very self centered. Why do you ask?
OK, you asked for it!

tattooed-shakespeare-mathew-mcfarren.jpg

When to the sessions of sweet hockey thoughts
I summon up remembrance of games past,
With mirth at the schwack of many a joke got,
And with new GDTs new friends my dear time's waste:
Then can I clear an eye, much used to flow,
For friends like George, comrades in winter’d night,
And chat afresh of our power play's cancell'd woe,
And cheer the expense of many a Lowry’d fight:
Then can I rejoice at win streaks foregone,
And cheerfully from woe to woe tell o'er
The happy account of a new Monohan,
Which he will play as if not paid before.
Aye, if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restored and sorrows end.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yes, I missed your edit. Some times, hunger trumps all other needs.

I would rather you not use my picture. I do realize that once it's out there it's essentially public property and you can use it however you wish. And I'm aware that both photos have already appeared on dozen's of friends pages and many of them are public so the photos are likely circulating. But I'm still going to say no.

Given that I've seen various photos of me rendered with photoshop into obscene deepfakes and maliciously vulgar poses, I suppose it's silly of me to object to you posting me as an ineffectual good luck charm. But Plain Jane draws reactions and some of them will be negative and words do hurt from people you've come to know.

Besides, a Plain Jane should be busty and anonymous and happily I am neither.

But I really appreciate you asking, Dude. Thank you!
Ya i was kidding i wouldn't do that. :thumbu:

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
OK, you asked for it!

tattooed-shakespeare-mathew-mcfarren.jpg

When to the sessions of sweet hockey thoughts
I summon up remembrance of games past,
With mirth at the schwack of many a joke got,
And with new GDTs new friends my dear time's waste:
Then can I clear an eye, much used to flow,
For friends like George, comrades in winter’d night,
And chat afresh of our power play's cancell'd woe,
And cheer the expense of many a Lowry’d fight:
Then can I rejoice at win streaks foregone,
And cheerfully from woe to woe tell o'er
The happy account of a new Monohan,
Which he will play as if not paid before.
Aye, if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restored and sorrows end.

Excellent :thumbu:

Reactions: kanadalainen

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
So, another non-productive day in the salt mine. Actually, I can cope with being non-productive sometimes. It's when you leave at the end of the day having undone half the stuff you wrote last week.

Oh well, at least I get to leave.

View attachment 815041
Good to see a photo of you with your shorter haircut. Also pleased to see you spell whisky correctly.

• Haha
Reactions: Inanna

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
When the weird tell you that you fit in perfectly with the weird, you know it's time to start worrying....

Or, it's time to mosey down to the Belltower and see what the soup de jour is.
As long as you're not moseying down to the book tower...

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
So, another non-productive day in the salt mine. Actually, I can cope with being non-productive sometimes. It's when you leave at the end of the day having undone half the stuff you wrote last week.

Oh well, at least I get to leave.

View attachment 815041

Also if you haven't, start saving your drafts of your thesis. You'll likely find your adviser changing things for the sake of things and quite often to what you had previously written. Nothing much more effective than presenting those edits directly to them and asking which version of their recommendations they'd prefer, yours or theirs (or theirs or yours, it amounts to the same).

Reactions: Inanna

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Since the 6th Jets loss in a row... I sense a tenseness on HFJets...

This video could go onto a PGT... could go into the Music thread... but I have decided to put it onto the Humor thread...

Why... ?

Because these guys represent the parody we need from our love of hockey... the failings of our hockey heroes...

And metaphorically say HFJets misses this kind of joy in a team that created mayhem in the 1st half of this season...

The Jets are a parody of themselves now... they need the Hanson's... or investors from Florida... or fan's making a bus ugly...

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022

This video could go onto a PGT... could go into the Music thread... but I have decided to put it onto the Humor thread...

Why... ?

Because these guys represent the parody we need from our love of hockey... the failings of our hockey heroes...

And metaphorically say HFJets misses this kind of joy in a team that created mayhem in the 1st half of this season...

The Jets are a parody of themselves now... they need the Hanson's... or investors from Florida... or fan's making a bus ugly...

That movie was foxing hilarious! I can't believe it's also 50 years old!

I went out (for a short time) with a hockey player who idolized this film and had an encyclopedic knowledge of it. Like the fact that the actor who played Ogre really was a hockey player and his sister wrote the script based on his own hockey experiences. He went on to get his M.A. at McGill and eventually became a movie director.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
50 years? Can't believe how quickly movies age.

Slapshot really showed the amazing talent and acting range of Paul Newman. He was a major star from an earlier era and we will not see his like again.

The striptease at the end of the movie was pretty funny to.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
That movie was foxing hilarious! I can't believe it's also 50 years old!

I went out (for a short time) with a hockey player who idolized this film and had an encyclopedic knowledge of it. Like the fact that the actor who played Ogre really was a hockey player and his sister wrote the script based on his own hockey experiences. He went on to get his M.A. at McGill and eventually became a movie director.
Watched it on almost every bus trip I've ever been on as a hockey player... could probably recite every line today despite not having watched it in a couple of years.

If you think the story of the actor that played Ogie is interesting, take a look at the person who inspired the character. I actually ordered and read the guy's biography. Wild stuff...

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Why... ?

Looks so weird with no advertising on the boards.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad