Confirmed with Link: Hughes extension official (8 years, $64 million)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If Hughes had already broken out there is no way he'd sign for $8 mil over 8 years. Barzal and Petterson both got at least 7 for 3 with Petterson getting the more recent deal at $7.25 and already making noise about maybe leaving VAN and he's struggling so far this season. NJ has not been a landing spot for UFAs of note until Dr. Evil said yes and arguably that was because there was a limited number of teams that could even fit him under the cap. If a young player that sells jerseys (whether or not the jersey says Jersey on it) and sells some tickets and draws attention to the team says I'm happy to sign as long a deal as the CBA allows you want to explore that if you are NJ. You think VAN and the NYI are thrilled with where thy will be with Barzal and Petterson in a couple of years? My expectation is that both will be on different teams and that neither VAN or the NYI will be better off for it.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver and the Islanders made out like bandits already...Those players outperformed their ELC's by huge margins...

Van got 153 points in 165 games out of Petterson's ELC
NYI got 207 points in 234 games out of Barzal's ELC

We have gotten 55 points from Jack in 120 games so far with potentially 62 more to go.
Even Nico looks respectable in comparison... we got 135 points out of 209 games of Nico's ELC

When Barzal's ELC was over he had .88 PPG
When Petterson's ELC was he had .93 PPG
When Nico's ELC was over he had .65 PPG
When Jack got his deal he had .46 PPG

All of this talk is purely to distract from the the fact that we paid gold prices for tin results...
I am not sure any amount of rationalization can make me digest this price to production ratio positively.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Vancouver and the Islanders made out like bandits already...Those players outperformed their ELC's by huge margins...

Van got 153 points in 165 games out of Petterson's ELC
NYI got 207 points in 234 games out of Barzal's ELC

We have gotten 55 points from Jack in 120 games so far with potentially 62 more to go.
Even Nico looks respectable in comparison... we got 135 points out of 209 games of Nico's ELC

All of this talk is purely to distract from the the fact that we paid gold prices for tin results...
I am not sure any amount of rationalization can make me digest this price to production ratio positively.
Id much rather have the player whos struggled in his first two years but is projecting upward then the two who were stars their first two years and are trending downward

Reactions: Call Me Al

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Id much rather have the player whos struggled in his first two years but is projecting upward then the two who were stars their first two years and are trending downward

Trending upward? From his 21 points in 61 games rookie season? There was no place to trend other than up when you were in the gutter.

I don't know for a fact but I'd bet Barzal probably had a 21 point month his rookie year.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
The best stocks have had a series of highs over a period of time. They don't go from .99 to $1000 a share over night.
They almost all start with an extremely slow and gradual climb, then blow up over a years time with multiple peaks and valleys

Jack is just getting through his gradual climb; he will peak.. or do you not believe he will?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
The best stocks have had a series of highs over a period of time. They don't go from .99 to $1000 a share over night.
Well with the numbers, if he went from .99 to $1000 over night, he'd be the best player to ever live. .99 to like 5 bucks would already have him competing with Gretzky.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
They almost all start with an extremely slow and gradual climb, then blow up over a years time with multiple peaks and valleys

Jack is just getting through his gradual climb; he will peak.. or do you not believe he will?
We must still be in the valley.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I like this signing. Yes it has risk but there is some risk in everything.#1 Centers don’t become available ever. Only way to get one is draft one. May as well lock him up . We already invested and committed to building around him, Nico , Hamilton .
May as well bite the billet and continue on commuting to Hughes being a piece of the teams foundation.
I am confident in his abilities and can see him earning his cap hit . I get that others are not so confident.It’s understandable to have hesitations and concerns committing to a young kid that hasn’t put up huge numbers yet . I just am more sure that his production and value will be there soon.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Not for nothing but when there’s only one well known example of a star player who started out with similarly low production…well that doesn’t exactly instill great confidence that the full potential will be realized.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
For those who are against what Jim has to say, I don't know how you can ignore the numbers he's bringing up. Those are hard cold facts that we can't deny and are, for a use of a better term, alarming. For all his flashy plays and his elite skating, his point total just isn't there to reward someone with that big of a deal. I do understand that we're paying for potential but that's a big gamble if you ask me when we have yet to see any concrete production or signs that he is actually improving from year to year.

It might just be me but I see Hughes playing the game as if he was going up against junior players and that won't get it done in the NHL, if he wants to hit that elite status.

Reactions: Bosskarelli

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland

I don't see how anyone can question the facts you bring. You're analytical and a realist, but please come be a dreamer with us and lets enjoy the moment and worry if things don't work out later. One of the most fun things being a hockey fan is believing into the potential and in my (dream) world I refuse to believe that Jack won't become a superstar in this league.

Reactions: NJDevs26

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
For those who are against what Jim has to say, I don't know how you can ignore the numbers he's bringing up. Those are hard cold facts that we can't deny and are, for a use of a better term, alarming. For all his flashy plays and his elite skating, his point total just isn't there to reward someone with that big of a deal. I do understand that we're paying for potential but that's a big gamble if you ask me when we have yet to see any concrete production or signs that he is actually improving from year to year.

It might just be me but I see Hughes playing the game as if he was going up against junior players and that won't get it done in the NHL, if he wants to hit that elite status.

You aren't wrong, but I will add that @Guttersniped noticed last season that young players seemed to be down points wise in large swaths. Look at the league leaders this season, you have Raymond at about 25th in points in the league at less than a PPG and then Svenchnikov at 31. Really young players (Jack is all of 20) just aren't lighting it up for the most part this year and last year. I expect Hughes will have to round out his game but he's a bit of a fish out of water as well. Barzal looks a heck of a lot better than his point totals suggest because of how the NYI play and who he plays with. Hughes is going to have to find a way to make it work but the team thinks he will. For now, I'll suggest they have much better insight into it than anyone posting here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad