Post-Game Talk: Huge defensive effort leads to decisive win! Jets win 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalphyTSN1290

Jan 9, 2013
Imagine if your only knowledge of a team came from reading a Gary Lawless article, instead of sifting through a hundred opinions in here and on Twitter...this is why the Flames crew and the HNIC panel don't have a very firm grasp on things. Freidman evidently pays attention - doesn't just rely on one or two second-hand opinions.

Who has time to sift through hundreds of opinions here? And as if that would give you a grip on things. :)

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Imagine if your only knowledge of a team came from reading a Gary Lawless article, instead of sifting through a hundred opinions in here and on Twitter...this is why the Flames crew and the HNIC panel don't have a very firm grasp on things. Freidman evidently pays attention - doesn't just rely on one or two second-hand opinions.

That would be really difficult if your only knowledge came from a Gary Lawless article because depending on which way the wind blows his opinions seem to switch, flip-flop, etc.

Agree with what you're saying though. It's so beneficial if your focus goes beyond your own point of view and you expand and consider other opinions as well.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The hate for Enstrom comes from people who believe a PP strategy is shooting the puck from anywhere at anytime, as many times as possible.

I don't know. For a guy who plays a lot of minutes including PP, Enstrom gets as many shots on net as a guy like Chiarot. I think it is a fair criticism to say that he needs to at least make it known that he's willing to take a shot on goal on the PP every once and awhile, if for nothing else than to open up space for his teammates and himself to be able to set those guys up with a nice pass.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I don't know. For a guy who plays a lot of minutes including PP, Enstrom gets as many shots on net as a guy like Chiarot. I think it is a fair criticism to say that he needs to at least make it known that he's willing to take a shot on goal on the PP every once and awhile, if for nothing else than to open up space for his teammates and himself to be able to set those guys up with a nice pass.

Agreed, but's that's a big difference from what I'm talking about. Yelling shoot as soon as a guy gets the puck regardless of any remotely visible lane is just flat out stupid, it invariably just leads to turning over the puck.

As it is Toby keeps guys guessing regardless, he's so deceptive in his movements as opposed to guys like Chiarot or Stuart who just do what everyone expects them to do.

jggmalloy

Tobi-Wan Kenobi
Oct 30, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
jetsnation.ca
That would be really difficult if your only knowledge came from a Gary Lawless article because depending on which way the wind blows his opinions seem to switch, flip-flop, etc.

He really confused me during the tracksuit week. He wrote an article with little to no blame on Kane for the situation and then that same day he was on TV bashing him.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Thorburn, Peluso and Stuart also all had good possession numbers tonight. So who gets the credit?

All.

In this discussion we're talking descriptive not predictive.

Pavelec and Hutchinson both get a shutout, it's equally descriptive and good on them... but predictive, one is more likely to happen more than the other given history.

Markus250

Jan 27, 2014

It could be that he's not shooting when he could be or perhaps the problem is he's just not able to find the openings because of troubles positioning and passing. I don't think people are arguing Enstrom should be immune to criticism, just that it needs to actually relate to poor elements of his play and not "he's too small and he doesn't slap shot like Buff". If I was going to throw him under the bus, it would be for his large contract and subsequent offensive drop off. He had 101 points in 154 games during his final two Thrasher seasons (.656 ppg), then 33 in his first 62 as a Jet (.532) before signing an extension in the summer before the partial lockout season (5 years at 5.75M per year). Since that time he has 64 points in 151 games (.424). That drop off stings more when you factor in that Enstrom played 97% of the games he could have for ATL and was rarely injured and has played only 76% of the games he could have as a Jet. Less points per game, less games played under a more expensive contract could earn this guy lots of flack if we didn't have a more obvious target in Pavs to go after.

Last edited:

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I don't like Stuart in the top 4 (godspeed Morrisey), but he is top 5 for toughest hockey players. You could walk up behind him and slam him with a 2x4 and he'd go down, get up and try to block your shot with his face.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I don't like Stuart in the top 4 (godspeed Morrisey), but he is top 5 for toughest hockey players. You could walk up behind him and slam him with a 2x4 and he'd go down, get up and try to block your shot with his face.

:laugh::laugh:

I think Stuart is serviceable 6/7 given the right partner... Heck he's been *okay* as a #4 with Trouba. Sure he's the weak link, but someone has to be.

Still... can't wait until we have a stronger left side.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
:laugh::laugh:

I think Stuart is serviceable 6/7 given the right partner... Heck he's been *okay* as a #4 with Trouba. Sure he's the weak link, but someone has to be.

Still... can't wait until we have a stronger left side.

Won't be long, morissey is on his way! I really wish we would just do this:
Enstrom Myers
Morrissey Trouba
Chiarot buff
Stuuuuuuuuuuhh
But if not go
Enstrom Trouba
Buff Myers ;)
Morrissey who cares

jggmalloy

Tobi-Wan Kenobi
Oct 30, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
jetsnation.ca
I think Stuart actually enjoys pain. I remember a game last year where he just dove and went flying into the Jets bench for a change. The puck was nowhere near him for a too many men call.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I had a really good feeling Little was going to be one of the good ones when he changed his # from 10 in Atlanta to # 18 when the team moved to Winnipeg all because #10 Hawerchuck , meant so much to Winnipegers. That says alot about the player and the person if you ask me . Then you have another player who kept his # 9 even with the history of that #, Hull and didn't even care . Well one player is still here and will be for a long time , the other one , long gone !!!

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I had a really good feeling Little was going to be one of the good ones when he changed his # from 10 in Atlanta to # 18 when the team moved to Winnipeg all because #10 Hawerchuck , meant so much to Winnipegers. That says alot about the player and the person if you ask me . Then you have another player who kept his # 9 even with the history of that #, Hull and didn't even care . Well one player is still here and will be for a long time , the other one , long gone !!!

It meant something to some Winnipegers. The majority didn't give a hoot.

Also if I remember correctly, Little wore 18 his whole life. It just happened to have been taken when he got to Atlanta, so he wore 10.
I'm willing to bet he would have switched either way, but if you can play it up for the home fans why not. It wasn't some super altruistic gesture.

Also, I'm glad Kane wore 9.
Hull's legacy is far more checkered than Kanes.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
It meant something to some Winnipegers. The majority didn't give a hoot.

Also if I remember correctly, Little wore 18 his whole life. It just happened to have been taken when he got to Atlanta, so he wore 10.
I'm willing to bet he would have switched either way, but if you can play it up for the home fans why not. It wasn't some super altruistic gesture.

Also, I'm glad Kane wore 9.
Hull's legacy is far more checkered than Kanes.

I think he means Hawerchuk meant a lot to Winnipeggers.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I think he means Hawerchuk meant a lot to Winnipeggers.

That could be the case, I thought he was referring to the gesture.

Either way, point stands. I don't like Little more for not wearing 10. I actually liked that Kane kept 9.

Enough looking to the past.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
That could be the case, I thought he was referring to the gesture.

Either way, point stands. I don't like Little more for not wearing 10. I actually liked that Kane kept 9.

Enough looking to the past.

When Little went back to his junior hockey number after 4 pro years as #18 and says it's because he didn't want to wear Hawerchuk's number, I'll take him at face value and say it was a classy act.

As for Kane and #9, there are some issues with Hull that should prevent him from being honoured in any manner.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
When Little went back to his junior hockey number after 4 pro years as #18 and says it's because he didn't want to wear Hawerchuk's number, I'll take him at face value and say it was a classy act.

As for Kane and #9, there are some issues with Hull that should prevent him from being honoured in any manner.

Agreed, some people value you that kind of thing. I have no idea how many, apparently the majority don't. I must have missed the results that showed that vote.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Poster: Ducky 10

Is surprised people don't hold Hawerchuk and other past Jets 1.0 in higher regard.
Colour me shocked :sarcasm:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

Is surprised people don't hold Hawerchuk and other past Jets 1.0 in higher regard.

Where did I say that? I said apparently the majority don't, because a few guys in here seem to know that, I don't know how. I sure don't , I'm not really sure how I could, unless......?

Exiled Jets Fan

May 7, 2012
Edmonton, AB

It's not just Ducky 10. The memories of those years are important to a lot of people who lived through that era, just as important as the one we are living through now. Are we going to forget everything about the last four years 15 years from now? It's fine not to feel that the events of the pre-1996 Jets are important to you but have some respect for those of us who do care. The dramatic change in the Jets after Hawerchuk joined the team will always be one of my favourite memories, Cup or no Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad