Post-Game Talk: Huge defensive effort leads to decisive win! Jets win 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Losing Little at this point in the season & deep in a playoff hunt is a nightmare.
Hopefully Little is back soon.

Losing Perreault for the rest of the season has been a huge loss to our offense.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Well my opinion of the public is coloured by my family, who think little is okay (But not a first line centre) and have an active vendetta against Enstrom.

Ok, that's just bizarre. Some kind of ancient Viking clan grudge?

Markus250

Jan 27, 2014
I think Enstrom gets flack for being small and people see any instance of him getting beat in any way as proof that he's too small to be effective. It sticks out more, is more memorable and thus he gets a bad rap undeservedly.

Little doesn't have a bad rap, he just doesn't get any praise despite his consistent offensive production. I think the reason for that is that Little isn't as noticeable on the ice as other players and you really only hear his name in the seconds before the puck ends up in the other team's net. For a first line forward, I think people expect to see more fireworks throughout the game and it might give the uninformed watchers the opinion that he's simply riding Ladd and Wheeler's coattails. The announcers hype big hits and good scoring chances nearly as much as goals, and Little has very few of the first and not that many of the second (because the puck goes in the net almost every time he shoots it, best shooting percentage on the team). He gets no credit for good possession play matched against the other top lines nor for his ability to draw penalties while rarely ending up in the box himself. There is very little bravado to his game but he's quietly consistent in boosting the team's possession and scoring. At the end of the day, he's almost a polar opposite to Kane. When Kane was on the ice, you couldn't help but notice. Kane was one of the players on the team with the consistently worst shooting percentage though. In his defense, he did also help his team possession wise.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I think Enstrom gets flack for being small and people see any instance of him getting beat in any way as proof that he's too small to be effective. It sticks out more, is more memorable and thus he gets a bad rap undeservedly.

Little doesn't have a bad rap, he just doesn't get any praise despite his consistent offensive production. I think the reason for that is that Little isn't as noticeable on the ice as other players and you really only hear his name in the seconds before the puck ends up in the other team's net. For a first line forward, I think people expect to see more fireworks throughout the game and it might give the uninformed watchers the opinion that he's simply riding Ladd and Wheeler's coattails. The announcers hype big hits and good scoring chances nearly as much as goals, and Little has very few of the first and not that many of the second (because the puck goes in the net almost every time he shoots it, best shooting percentage on the team). He gets no credit for good possession play matched against the other top lines nor for his ability to draw penalties while rarely ending up in the box himself. There is very little bravado to his game but he's quietly consistent in boosting the team's possession and scoring. At the end of the day, he's almost a polar opposite to Kane. When Kane was on the ice, you couldn't help but notice. Kane was one of the players on the team with the consistently worst shooting percentage though. In his defense, he did also help his team possession wise.

another solid post...you are quickly becoming the Little of this board. :)

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
with Little some in this market just don't appreciate him enough, I don't think anyone really dislikes him just he doesn't get enough praise. However there are some that just flat out hate Enstrom (for reasons I just don't get)

The hate for Enstrom comes from people who believe a PP strategy is shooting the puck from anywhere at anytime, as many times as possible.

Markus250

Jan 27, 2014
The hate for Enstrom comes from people who believe a PP strategy is shooting the puck from anywhere at anytime, as many times as possible.

Yup, brilliant logic from the same people who go to games to yell "SHOOT!" at their own team while they pass the puck on a PP waiting for a decent shooting opportunity. Do these fans really think a lightbulb will appear over a player's head and he'll say "Oh, that's what I was supposed to do. I knew I was forgetting something, thanks Seat 12, Row 9 from section 327!" before easily blasting it through heavy coverage at the goalie who has an ideal angle to prevent his shot?

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Easily my biggest pet peeve is people yelling "shoot".
I'll comment unnecessarily loudly to people around me that I'd much rather get a goal than a shot.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Yup, brilliant logic from the same people who go to games to yell "SHOOT!" at their own team while they pass the puck on a PP waiting for a decent shooting opportunity. Do these fans really think a lightbulb will appear over a player's head and he'll say "Oh, that's what I was supposed to do. I knew I was forgetting something, thanks Seat 12, Row 9 from section 327!" before easily blasting it through heavy coverage at the goalie who has an ideal angle to prevent his shot?

You should print out a few thousand checklists on how to behave as a paying fan and stand by the stairs handing them out next game ... not that it would seem at all self-righteous or anything :)

Derfel*

Easily my biggest pet peeve is people yelling "shoot".
I'll comment unnecessarily loudly to people around me that I'd much rather get a goal than a shot.

Usually you need a shot before a goal, but I getcha.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
MRW the Jets twitter feed nails the use of a meme.

RVyP9.gif

MRW StronGeer uses the same meme that the Jets twitter feed used to show his approval of that meme's use.

RVyP9.gif

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
A perfect example of this is the discussion on the HNIC post game show when Kypreos talked about the Jets missing their MVP in Buff and Freidman said he would argue that and Little is the bigger loss and explained why, all Kypreos could say was "no you're wrong" and not give any reasons. Now I love Buff but it's clear that he gets the biggest headlines because of the big highlights and guys like Kypreos who don't watch much of the Jets base their opinions on this. Freidman you get the sense actually follows the various teams and does homework on them and I dare say the only other person that does this on HNIC is Don Cherry.

EF and DC the smartest guys on HNIC by far.

Cherry LOL. Cherry is still back in the dark ages when it comes to modern-day hockey. Talks a great show; but hockey knowledge nope.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Bolded; Like the defensive zone FO he lost that led to the Pred.s goal.;)

Don't know why the hell O'Dell has been buried in St. Johns alls season, both games here he has looked pretty good.

Mo makes some funny decisions, but the ones with O'Dell and Postma are baffling especially when they are both better than guys playing ahead of them. Glad that at least MO figured out the goaltending!

100% Sip - Why O'dell & especially Postma don't get to play before some of the plugs that are playing in their spots thoroughly amazes me.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Cherry LOL. Cherry is still back in the dark ages when it comes to modern-day hockey. Talks a great show; but hockey knowledge nope.

I disagree, his point of view is just based on a different era and I think alot of what he does is just show. I don't agree with some of what he says but I agree with alot he says also. My main point is that he actually can speak about most of the teams because he does his homework on them at least so it appears to me. He is very good at breaking down plays and he believes what he believes even though alot of it may be old school. His hockey knowledge is just fine in my opinion.

Derfel*

I disagree, his point of view is just based on a different era and I think alot of what he does is just show. I don't agree with some of what he says but I agree with alot he says also. My main point is that he actually can speak about most of the teams because he does his homework on them at least so it appears to me. He is very good at breaking down plays and he believes what he believes even though alot of it may be old school. His hockey knowledge is just fine in my opinion.

I agree - Cherry has knowledge and some relative experience with the game both as a player and a coach. You can call him old-fashioned, but he is knowledgeable about players, systems, etc.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I agree - Cherry has knowledge and some relative experience with the game both as a player and a coach. You can call him old-fashioned, but he is knowledgeable about players, systems, etc.

Oh I agree the Leafs clearly suck due to not enough players from Ontario. And avoiding taking away about shooting lanes is a great strategy, a full 0 of 30 NHL Head Coaches will support him in that. Real bright guy.

Guy may have had some knowledge about players and systems in 1975 or whatever (how could he not win a cup with those Bruins teams). Hockey has long since passed him by.

Markus250

Jan 27, 2014
With Cherry you have to figure part of it is an act. There is a reason he wears ridiculous suits and his segment intro is filled with clips of himself doing random and silly things with very little hockey laced through it. People don't tune into coach's corner to watch Grapes spout off about numbers and charts, they want him to showcase some big checks, a human interest story involving dogs/military/children with disabilities, talk up some good old Canadian boys doing our country proud, say something mildly offensive about players from another nationality all while arguing and undermining Ron Wilson at every opportunity. How vocal the duo can be about managing their segment time and constantly failing to be on the same page as their graphics staff when cutting away to clips is amateur hour at it's worst but it keeps happening because we love it. Then there is the constant speeches towards the "kids" in the audience that will become the future of the league (but only if they eat their vegetables and do everything Mr. Cherry says). Do kids watch through the intermissions? Do they look to advice from an old guy in a silly suit? Probably not but it's not for them, it's for us. It's part of the charm of the show. We aren't supposed to take things too seriously or gain any insight from watching, though it also allows Cherry to throw a few actual barbs at some players/coaches/etc. that deserve it (like Kane earlier this year) and get a pass for attacking player's character because this old man has been yelling at kids to get off his lawn for years and it's too late to change him now.

At the end of the day though, Cherry is very likely more old school than many of the successful decision makers in the league but he's also a lot more knowledgeable than he let's on. You don't play and coach in the NHL and spend this much time involved in league media without learning something along the way. (unless your name is Mike Millbury) :nod:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well my opinion of the public is coloured by my family, who think little is okay (But not a first line centre) and have an active vendetta against Enstrom.

with Little some in this market just don't appreciate him enough, I don't think anyone really dislikes him just he doesn't get enough praise. However there are some that just flat out hate Enstrom (for reasons I just don't get)

All because they're small. It really makes me shake my head sometimes.

How people can overlook really good players simply for having a lower listed weight or height is beyond me.

All good points Boys.....I know friends who flat out dislike Enstrom because they think he is small, soft, and can't handle guys in the slot :help: I really don't have one friend who is sold on Toby they either dislike him or think he is average at best

All of these guys like Stu because he is visually appealing hits, fights, block shots etc.....Almost all of them think of defending as something that is done without the puck. The ability in and around puck movement, possession, and keep away is pretty much not factored in from what I can tell.

I have given up trying to sell them.

This site has really helped me gain an appreciation for the value of puck movement and hockey IQ.....I am blessed to be part of this group because it has made me a smarter hockey fan. I feel vastly superior to my stupid old semi lovable stuck on the 80's brofist homies.

:yo: :sarcasm:

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
100% Sip - Why O'dell & especially Postma don't get to play before some of the plugs that are playing in their spots thoroughly amazes me.

I think their might be a method to his madness, he did not play Buff on defense right away till he committed to playing physical, O'dell has to commit to playing defense first to get to play ahead of Slater, and Postma needs to play the body more and win the board battles, sitting out so long may get him to commit to playing the way Maurice wants him to.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
With Cherry you have to figure part of it is an act. There is a reason he wears ridiculous suits and his segment intro is filled with clips of himself doing random and silly things with very little hockey laced through it. People don't tune into coach's corner to watch Grapes spout off about numbers and charts, they want him to showcase some big checks, a human interest story involving dogs/military/children with disabilities, talk up some good old Canadian boys doing our country proud, say something mildly offensive about players from another nationality all while arguing and undermining Ron Wilson at every opportunity. How vocal the duo can be about managing their segment time and constantly failing to be on the same page as their graphics staff when cutting away to clips is amateur hour at it's worst but it keeps happening because we love it. Then there is the constant speeches towards the "kids" in the audience that will become the future of the league (but only if they eat their vegetables and do everything Mr. Cherry says). Do kids watch through the intermissions? Do they look to advice from an old guy in a silly suit? Probably not but it's not for them, it's for us. It's part of the charm of the show. We aren't supposed to take things too seriously or gain any insight from watching, though it also allows Cherry to throw a few actual barbs at some players/coaches/etc. that deserve it (like Kane earlier this year) and get a pass for attacking player's character because this old man has been yelling at kids to get off his lawn for years and it's too late to change him now.

At the end of the day though, Cherry is very likely more old school than many of the successful decision makers in the league but he's also a lot more knowledgeable than he let's on. You don't play and coach in the NHL and spend this much time involved in league media without learning something along the way. (unless your name is Mike Millbury) :nod:

Agree 100%, I think people who feel they can judge Cherry's hockey knowledge by what they see on TV are likely very misinformed. Sure he's old school, that's the act. Hockey has changed dramatically over the years I've watched or since Cherry has coached, but let's not pretend we've reinvented the game.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
You should print out a few thousand checklists on how to behave as a paying fan and stand by the stairs handing them out next game ... not that it would seem at all self-righteous or anything :)

Because there is neer any self-righteousness that goes on around these parts..;)

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Some people underrate Enstrom, wouldn't acknowledge a benefit if it slapped them in the face.

Some people overrate Enstrom, wouldn't acknowledge a fault if it slapped them in the face.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
A perfect example of this is the discussion on the HNIC post game show when Kypreos talked about the Jets missing their MVP in Buff and Freidman said he would argue that and Little is the bigger loss and explained why, all Kypreos could say was "no you're wrong" and not give any reasons. Now I love Buff but it's clear that he gets the biggest headlines because of the big highlights and guys like Kypreos who don't watch much of the Jets base their opinions on this. Freidman you get the sense actually follows the various teams and does homework on them and I dare say the only other person that does this on HNIC is Don Cherry.

EF and DC the smartest guys on HNIC by far.

Imagine if your only knowledge of a team came from reading a Gary Lawless article, instead of sifting through a hundred opinions in here and on Twitter...this is why the Flames crew and the HNIC panel don't have a very firm grasp on things. Freidman evidently pays attention - doesn't just rely on one or two second-hand opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad