Speculation: How you envision HuGo dealing with the surplus of picks

Pick two options

• Total voters

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
do a Dach type trade ..
That seems unanimous this is the kind of move Hughes have to do, I guess we voted 90% for that. The only thing it can't be done is not many teams have that kind of player and is willing to trade a future top 6 for a Matheson, Savard or Anderson. Only Monahan can bring that kind of value.

For the first time since the Romanov/Dach trade, we might see a move like that at this TDL.

But Allen can bring something signifiant, so is Armia who had negative value last year but maaaaybe this year a team might bite at him (a fisherman talk, lol). I think Harris and, Kovasevic have very little value. And we might be surprised with the actual value of WiFi.

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I think collectivly we undersetimate the better 3rd and 4th liners that can improve our team. I'm not crazy about poor results of Evans ; poor in offensive and average defensivly. Some players just don't have anything to offer like Pezetta or Gallagher. I didn't see much about Ylonen and Heineman. Dvorak is a black hole, any line he centers sucks. MSL need better players to execute some kind of a collective play. This is an amount of little details and MLS need players with discipline and territory awareness. 3rd and 4th liners don't need super skills. I'm missing the good old 80's with Carbonneau, Gainey, Mike Mcphee and Brain Skrudland.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
not good, Flames protected themselves so if the standings today were how it ends up next season, then we would be getting a late 1st from the panthers.
If CGY's pick is 20-32 this year, we can decline it. And then it kicks off a whole other slate of conditions for 25/26 that include a very real chance at a top 10 pick, no higher than 2OA in 25 (especially if both CGY and FLA finish bottom 10). And a very slight outside chance of as high as a 1OA (our option of either the Fla or CGY 1st) in 26 if the 25 CGY pick turns out to be 1OA.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Im not expecting much when he doesnt even wanna move one of the 3 goalies
What makes you think he doesn't want to move one of the goalies? It's a bit complicated. He's unlikely to move Monty, just signed him. And both Allen and Primeau aren't easy to move due to current showings and/or contract (Allens case). I have to assume considering we're clearly not vying for position in the standings, that unless someone wants Allen or Primeau, he'll likely just deal with the situation before next camp. Can't move them if no one wants them.

Reactions: Canadiens Ghost

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Include picks with Monahan for core forward. Maybe have to add a young D also for right guy.

Habs should get an elite scorer this draft. But doubt he is ready. I like add two explosive young scorers by camp next fall. This makes the two.

Reactions: sampollock

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Include picks with Monahan for core forward. Maybe have to add a young D also for right guy.

Habs should get an elite scorer this draft. But doubt he is ready. I like add two explosive young scorers by camp next fall. This makes the two.
Monahan will get us a draft pick. Core players (if available and depending on the asking price) will probably happen in the offseason.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
We've had 29 picks in the last 3 drafts and have 22 picks in the next two drafts, which could end up being more when Monahan gets traded. As a result we will likely see a bunch of guys get unsigned given we will have limited contract spots and room in the AHL/ECHL.

The three options I would say are:

1 - Use some picks to add a young NHL ready player or two next year.
2 - Package some picks to move up in the draft (such as one of our thirds + fifth rounder to get into the second round)
3 - If they plan to use all their picks, use the later picks on higher skilled guys playing in lower leagues in Europe, similar to how Eriksson was a good gamble last year. Odds are these late picks won't amount to anything, but would rather gamble on a skilled guy than plugs like Ruscheneski/Hendrickson that would get taken in 7th rounds under MB.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
If CGY's pick is 20-32 this year, we can decline it. And then it kicks off a whole other slate of conditions for 25/26 that include a very real chance at a top 10 pick, no higher than 2OA in 25 (especially if both CGY and FLA finish bottom 10). And a very slight outside chance of as high as a 1OA (our option of either the Fla or CGY 1st) in 26 if the 25 CGY pick turns out to be 1OA.
Just I time to draft Gavin McKenna.

Reactions: LesCanadiens

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Can definitely see him trading the Calgary pick+ to pickup a young ELC/RFA player, unless that pick ends up being a lottery pick. We won't be trading our own firsts though.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
What makes you think he doesn't want to move one of the goalies? It's a bit complicated. He's unlikely to move Monty, just signed him. And both Allen and Primeau aren't easy to move due to current showings and/or contract (Allens case). I have to assume considering we're clearly not vying for position in the standings, that unless someone wants Allen or Primeau, he'll likely just deal with the situation before next camp. Can't move them if no one wants them.

Hughes should really come out and tell the fan's that NHL trading is not as easy as playstation trading

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Hughes said it himself

He is in a position to overpay for a wanted asset
Agree and it makes the next year fun and also the pivotal moment.

We all wanted that Bedard pick saving the franchise type of move/luck, but seeing as luck wasn't there for us, it's plan B, if you will. Something major will need to happen, so this is not a bad time to speculate... as the product is not that exciting anyway. :laugh:

I don't think a "Panarin" is coming in for free, neither is an Adam Fox, so the GMs are at their most important juncture. Unless we stay in Buffalo mode and... just don't do anything, but I get the sense that it's not the Hugo plan, unless this thing is another 4-5 years down the road.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Late picks should not be discarded just because the majority of picks bust.

RHP, Evans and Primeau are 7th round picks. Halak 9th round.

Weegar, Levi, Daccord recently. Plenty of value for the smart scouts.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
This.

What will be interesting to see is wether he goes "all-in" paying a premium for 1 or 2 "big catch" acquisitions (established talent or move up to top 3-5 draft pick), or more Newhook/Dach type moves that cost less but are less certain to hit.
Really hope we only make moves for high probability top 6 players and not tweeners, we don't want to waste all our draft capital on pure gambles. Hughes needs to be laser focused on exactly the pieces we are lacking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad