Speculation: How you envision HuGo dealing with the surplus of picks

Pick two options

• Total voters

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
HuGo trading for Barron, Heineman, Dach and Newhook tell me one thing: He will move assets for young players a few years after their draft year where there is much greater certainty they will contribute at the NHL level, just what that contribution is remains to be seen.

Based on that, I tried to find some players who might fit that profile. Perhaps they get moved for cap or because they are too low in the depth chart, or don't have a role. Here is some of the players I bet are on HuGo's radar:

Trade Canadiens 1st this year post-lottery:
Bowen Byram
Trevor Zegras

Trade of other picks/assets (late first or 2nds):
Mackie Samoskevich
Anton Lundell
Ty Dellandrea
Pavel Dorofeyev
Dylan Holloway
Philip Broberg

Anyone I'm missing?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
HuGo trading for Barron, Heineman, Dach and Newhook tell me one thing: He will move assets for young players a few years after their draft year where there is much greater certainty they will contribute at the NHL level, just what that contribution is remains to be seen.

Based on that, I tried to find some players who might fit that profile. Perhaps they get moved for cap or because they are too low in the depth chart, or don't have a role. Here is some of the players I bet are on HuGo's radar:

Bowen Byram
Trevor Zegras

Mackie Samoskevich
Anton Lundell
Ty Dellandrea
Pavel Dorofeyev
Dylan Holloway
Philip Broberg

Anyone I'm missing?
even though Jaarmo has said no, just maybe Kent Johnson becomes another potential name depending on where the 1st round is

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Would love if someone could explain how the hell this 1st 2025 Calgary draft picks thing goes :laugh::laugh:

Little to complicated for me, do we have a chance of 1st overall with it or what could be the best outcome for the Habs

Thanks in advance
Wish I could... I'm just as confused as you are!

Reactions: teamfirst

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Would love if someone could explain how the hell this 1st 2025 Calgary draft picks thing goes :laugh::laugh:

Little to complicated for me, do we have a chance of 1st overall with it or what could be the best outcome for the Habs

Thanks in advance
The best the pick can be is 2nd overall.

Reactions: teamfirst

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
At this point, he has a lot of prospects in the system and a lot of picks in the 2nd/3rd/4th and 5th rounds already. Adding more picks in that range and using them puts you uip against that 50 contract limit sooner than you think. You will be letting them walk or not signing drafted guys. Drafting out of NCAA kicks can down the road a bit.

I think the focus on any deadline deals this year will be acquiring 1st or 2nd round picks or guys picked in 1st round of last couple of drafts.

The existing 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders can be used as currency to get better picks this year

Say you want to move a player or 2 at this deadline lets call this mystery player lets call him Sean Savard and teams don't want to give up a first. You really only want a 1st maybe you can package the player you are getting rid of with a pick or 2 to get that 1st. A 3rd and Savard for a 1 st. You don't gain any picks but you upgrade a existing 3rd to 1st.

Then the 1st can be used to draft a player or as a trade chip in dach/newhook type deals

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
At this point, he has a lot of prospects in the system and a lot of picks in the 2nd/3rd/4th and 5th rounds already. Adding more picks in that range and using them puts you uip against that 50 contract limit sooner than you think. You will be letting them walk or not signing drafted guys. Drafting out of NCAA kicks can down the road a bit.

I think the focus on any deadline deals this year will be acquiring 1st or 2nd round picks or guys picked in 1st round of last couple of drafts.

The existing 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders can be used as currency to get better picks this year

Say you want to move a player or 2 at this deadline lets call this mystery player lets call him Sean Savard and teams don't want to give up a first. You really only want a 1st maybe you can package the player you are getting rid of with a pick or 2 to get that 1st. A 3rd and Savard for a 1 st. You don't gain any picks but you upgrade a existing 3rd to 1st.

Then the 1st can be used to draft a player or as a trade chip in dach/newhook type deals
Notionally agree with concept - only a 1st acquired in any deadline deal is very likely in 25-32OA range which no team will trade a Dach or a Newhook for, and the price point to upgrade from 25-32 OA to 10-15OA is too great if teams are even willing to trade their pick in that teeny range

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Its going to be status quo, I think. They will trade Monahan for whatever future capital they can get .

I'm less convinced that they will trade a dman just yet as without Matheson and Savard, you will have all your dmen on the roster playing in their first or 2nd year.

I know we want to see a leapfrog move but that's just not how these rebuilds typically work until you are convinced that the team is ready to move forward.

They will continue to make moves that acquire future capital, or vets on expiring deals that can help bring future capital down the road. That's been the constant theme with this regime.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
There's no surplus of picks yet, and I think it's very possible we don't acquire a second 1st this year.

If we do get a pick in the 20+ range, I could see Hughes looking for another Newhook sort of deal.

Everyone wants to replicate the Dach trade, but we need a decent pick then to give up, let alone finding another situation like Dach's.

Reactions: jrom and badfish

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

Thanks in advance

As I don’t expect Florida to be a bottom 10 team next season the below is the most likely scenario with Calgary’s pick:

1. If both Calgary and Florida picks are not top 10, MTL will receive the better of the Calgary and Florida 2025 1st round picks.

2. If Calgary’s pick is top 10, and Florida’s pick is not top 10, MTL receives Florida’s pick.

If Florida somehow is bottom 10 next season Montreal will receive Calgary’s pick as long as it’s not 1st overall.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013

Bowen Byram
Trevor Zegras

Mackie Samoskevich
Anton Lundell
Ty Dellandrea
Pavel Dorofeyev
Dylan Holloway
Philip Broberg

Anyone I'm missing?
Peyton Krebs

He could be a fit here. A natural C buried in Buffalo behind Cozens, Mittelstadt, and Thompson - 4th line, no PP, and ~12mins of ice time. 23 already and Savoie, Ostlund, and Kulich are knocking on the door.

He's left handed, a strong playmaker, plays with a lot of hustle and doesn't shy away from contact even if he only has average size. Weird stride but good skater. Could still end up a very solid 3C/LW if the production doesn't come with more opportunity.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
As I don’t expect Florida to be a bottom 10 team next season the below is the most likely scenario with Calgary’s pick:

1. If both Calgary and Florida picks are not top 10, MTL will receive the better of the Calgary and Florida 2025 1st round picks.

2. If Calgary’s pick is top 10, and Florida’s pick is not top 10, MTL receives Florida’s pick.

If Florida somehow is bottom 10 next season Montreal will receive Calgary’s pick as long as it’s not 1st overall.

Thanks for the explanations, if i understand correctly the only way we get a top 10 is if both teams finish in the bottom ten next year

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Peyton Krebs

He could be a fit here. A natural C buried in Buffalo behind Cozens, Mittelstadt, and Thompson - 4th line, no PP, and ~12mins of ice time. 23 already and Savoie, Ostlund, and Kulich are knocking on the door.

He's left handed, a strong playmaker, plays with a lot of hustle and doesn't shy away from contact even if he only has average size. Weird stride but good skater. Could still end up a very solid 3C/LW if the production doesn't come with more opportunity.
Could be a reclamation project, I can see it.

But if we are to get a player that moves the needle offensively, you have a candidate in mind?

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Could be a reclamation project, I can see it.

But if we are to get a player that moves the needle offensively, you have a candidate in mind?
A high-upside offensive C that might be available? The first and best place will be the draft this summer. Outside of Celebrini, Lindstrom looks like quite the player.

Otherwise, maybe Mavrik Bourque? 22 years old and hasn't played a single NHL game despite tearing up the AHL this year. Dallas has quite a bit of depth at C and I'm not sure how keen they are on having both Stankoven and Bourque in their top-6... which is where they'll both need to play to be successful. Odd to me that he's not getting a shot but that doesn't necessarily mean he's available, fans don't seem to want to move him. Exceptionally high IQ player but has some limitations.

Aatu Raty and Dylan Holloway might be worth considering despite some ups and downs in their development.

It's rough times out there trying to poach centers with high upside :laugh:

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
A high-upside offensive C that might be available? The first and best place will be the draft this summer. Outside of Celebrini, Lindstrom looks like quite the player.

Otherwise, maybe Mavrik Bourque? 22 years old and hasn't played a single NHL game despite tearing up the AHL this year. Dallas has quite a bit of depth at C and I'm not sure how keen they are on having both Stankoven and Bourque in their top-6... which is where they'll both need to play to be successful. Odd to me that he's not getting a shot but that doesn't necessarily mean he's available, fans don't seem to want to move him. Exceptionally high IQ player but has some limitations.

Aatu Raty and Dylan Holloway might be worth considering despite some ups and downs in their development.

I think this may depend on whether mgt sees Dach's future up the middle. If so, we're kinda/sorta OK at center and should probably look at upgrades to our top-6 wingers. Elite wingers, that is. Slaf and CC are a lock. The rest can be upgraded (Anderson, Newhook etc).

I've started to do a little prelim pre-draft scouting on my own. Not in knee deep, yet. But so far, I don't see Lindstrom as that high-upside offensive C. Now Berkley Catton is another story. This kid has star center written all over him. Reminds me a little of Zach Benson, but taller and faster. Same kind of elite IQ and drive. Plus, like Benson, he's comfortable at center or wing.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

Lindstrom would be a dream come true, which is why it won't happen. What about Helenius in the 6-9 range?

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna

This is such a confusing set of conditions. And I was totally confused until it was explained here and on some web pages. There actually IS a chance for a 1OA in 2026. It's remote, but still possible. Here is a link that explains it. And a quote from the relevant paragraph.

"With Scenario #3 the Montreal Canadiens would receive Calgary’s 2025 1st, which could go as high as 2nd overall in 2025 or, in the event that the Flames win the 2025 NHL Draft lottery and pick 1st overall, (Montreal receives) an unprotected 1st in 2026 from either Florida or Calgary."

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Hard to say until we see what picks we have post TDL. If we are sitting with the same extra 1st and an extra 2nd like we are today, my guess is probably status quo and we mostly just make our picks. If Monahan and Savard are both traded for 1st round picks, then we are much more then likely to trade picks for players or to move up.

In general terms I don't think we have a problem of too many picks/not enough contract spots since most picks are still going to be years away from needing a contract and by that time we won't have the glut of rookie/sophmores needing ice time with not enough roster spaces. That issue which exists today and arguably next year as well will get sorted one way or another so by the time our 2025 picks start turning pro we'll have gotten back to the more normal mode of just integrating 1-2 rookies a year.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Lindstrom would be a dream come true, which is why it won't happen. What about Helenius in the 6-9 range?
I’ve seen several Liiga games of his and I like what I’ve seen. Plays very smart, consistent, and he makes a lot of translatable, efficient plays. Capable against men and has the production to show for it.

The problem here, to me anyways, is a lack of standout tools. He’s good in several areas but does not have outstanding skating, puck skills, size, or a shot that might help differentiate or frame his game at the top level. Many of these skills are good to great, but he’s not necessarily defined by them. He’s exceptionally smart, he plays at both ends, he’s physically engaged, and there are very few deficiencies… but I’m not confident that puts him into elite offensive territory. I like him in transition, great off puck, and he’s very solid on the PP - all things that MTL could desperately use. It’s a lazy comparison, but Sebastian Aho had a pretty similar profile in his draft year.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021

Masterfully done!!! Haha «a true sign of intelligence is to explain complex matters in simple terms »- Einstein

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
He already said he’d use them as trade chips.

SmartSelect_20240129-212521_Brave.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad