How would you rate Gardiner this year?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I basically stopped watching the Leafs after they threw in the towel last year and haven't tuned back in yet.
I don't hear much about this guy at all though.

14pts , -4, averaging 19.5 minutes

How has he been?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He has been playing smart. A big improvement over the last year. Still developing if you ask me. I like his play this year.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Gardiner gets a B this season, IMHO. He seems to play a lot more calm when under pressure, compared to last season. He hasn't been the guy who takes over a game, like he did a few times early in his career. But a big overall improvement.

Looks like he is benefiting from Babcock, and should only improve from here.

I know Babcock has said that the team isn't ready, or skilled enough, to have the D really aggressive and active yet. But they will get the green light some time in the future. (Probably when some young forwards are brought up and the Dmen prove they can defend.) That adjustment to the team strategy, whenever it happens, will benefit Gardiner.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Offensively fine but sometimes looks lost in the defensive zone and doesn't play the body as hard as he should. Yushkevich or Lefebrve could show him a thing or two about playing in his own end.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Very solid.

Has been a rock in his own end. Moving the puck out of the zone is so much easier with Gardiner on the ice.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Meh. I don't see the glass as full as some here. He hasn't been bad though. I wouldn't say "very good" either.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'd give him an A- ... Much improved all around this season, the offense is starting to come around, and he looks like a player that is putting together all the tools he has. Babcock has done a great job getting him to play like a good #3 defenseman this year. I don't see the brainfarts he would usually have last year nearly as often.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
B+.

Need more offense from him, however his defensive game has been stellar. At least #FancyStats wise

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
He's been excellent. People have been erroneously giving most of his credit to Phaneuf.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I'd say B+ or A-. Probably the former overall, since his offensive production has been somewhat lacking.

However, if he manages to elevate Phaneuf's game enough to get him dealt without retention, Gards deserves an A+ in that case.

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com
A- in terms of the way he's been decisive and improve over the past years - especially in the defensive categories.

B+ in terms of relative lack of offensive production - although he has shown glimpses of it.

Overall, either way, he's improved and proved that he can be a #3 in the NHL. He and Phaneuf (since I don't think he will be moved), will be a great second pairing for a long time. With Rielly as our future 1/2, another top4 D will mean our D core is set for years to come (draft?)

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
His defensive game has greatly improved, better positioning, stronger on the body, better stick, haven't seen any of the old bone head plays. Good to see a pretty solid amount of growth in his game.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
He's been doing something he hasn't done his entire career. Play with an edge. Not necessarily physical, but just boxing guys out, and raising his compete level in puck battles. Playing with Dion has helped. Both compliment eachother. Dion takes the body, gets the puck over to Gardiner, and he breaks it out.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The improved structure has helped all our D and Gards breakout pass is much better but he still is soft-weak in his own end and still doesn`t move the puck quick enough in the offensive zone . He seems to read the play too slowly but overall he`s played better this year .

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Both Reims & Grads had two concussions each, within a two-year time span.. They both seem to finally getting back to their better selves, imo...

A lot of people wrote them off.., but I really felt that the consussion issues were their biggest problems stopping them from improving their games.. and that they would have a better season... That's why I used this name for the video title.. :)

Comeback Time: Jake Gardiner Montage - TML 2015-16

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Gardiner has been really good this year- solid 2nd pairing defenseman. Not all that concerned with him, there will be good nights (he's had a 3 or 4 point night) and he'll have some bad nights. I imagine as we get more talent, he'll put up more points.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
The improved structure has helped all our D and Gards breakout pass is much better but he still is soft-weak in his own end and still doesn`t move the puck quick enough in the offensive zone . He seems to read the play too slowly but overall he`s played better this year .

This is so false.

Gardiner has been one our best D-men in the defensive zone. I would hardly even call him soft anymore either. Just because a D-man doesn't go out his way to hit anyone, it doesn't ****ing make him soft. Would you call Roman Josi or Duncan Keith "soft?"

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Well he still is 'soft' relatively speaking. That's not to take away from his play. That's just who he is. Much improved from last year though.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Have to ask, relative to what? I don't see him shying away from contact at all.

Without getting into semantics, 'weak' is probably a better term than soft. He doesn't shy away from contact as much as he used to, but he still can do a better job at winning those battles.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Really?

As and A-s?

He hasn't been as much of a liability but let's all calm down with top of the class grades

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
Without getting into semantics, 'weak' is probably a better term than soft. He doesn't shy away from contact as much as he used to, but he still can do a better job at winning those battles.

Sure, he could improve on that, like a lot of other players but I've watched most of his career and this year I thought he really stepped that up. He's not a crushing checker, no, but he comes away with the puck a lot while engaging the opponent physically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad