Prospect Info: How would you rate Calgary's drafting under Treliving?

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
I am curious to see how everyone would rate Treliving's drafting so far in his tenure?

2014 was an utter disappointment.

Taking McDonald as the first goalie only to watch much more highly touted Demko go a couple picks later to the Canucks. That has only been made worse by what each prospect has done since being drafted. And that one wasn't even hindsight. Then Hunter Smith in the 2nd round as well. Yikes. Would have been nice to snag a guy like Point, who was a Calgary kid and basically right under their noses....or should have been.

The disappointment is made worse by Bennett still scrambling to live up to his pre draft expectations, but you can't blame anyone for picking him in that spot.

2015 looks better as Andersson, Kylington and Mangiapane are all still trending towards being NHLers. If you get three of them in one draft it's easily a success, so we'll see how that turns out.

2016 looks like it could be another good one, although it's still early. Tkachuk was a homerun at 6th OA, but Dube, Parsons, Fox and Phillips have all been trending upwards since draft day.

2017 is way too early to really judge, but Valimaki is going to be an NHLer unless something nutty happens. Plus both Ruzicka and Joly had their CHL production jump considerably, which is a good sign but not definitive.

Overall I'm happy with the drafting so far in his tenure, hopefully it starts to bear fruit starting as early as this season.

Reactions: TychoFan

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
2014 was an utter disappointment.

Taking McDonald as the first goalie only to watch much more highly touted Demko go a couple picks later to the Canucks. That has only been made worse by what each prospect has done since being drafted. And that one wasn't even hindsight. Then Hunter Smith in the 2nd round as well. Yikes.
Wasn't this Burke's draft?

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Wasn't this Burke's draft?

That's what I thought too, but Treliving was brought on in advance of that draft, and I saw an article somewhere saying that he wasn't restricted from participating by Arizona which can sometimes happen when managers/scouts swap orgs right before a draft.

I'd imagine Burke had much more influence on that draft than any other though, which gives me hope along with how much better the three after have looked since. It would also explain the Hunter Smith pick.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I would definitely say 2014, particularly the latter rounds, was more Burke than anything. Not only does it fit his established MO with the pointless fridge picks, but it's unlikely a brand new rookie GM is suddenly going to upend an entire years worth of scouting and direction after being on the job for two months or less.

As for the drafting as a whole, solid but still too early to really judge accurately. On paper, it looks fine but the lack of picks in the upcoming draft will hurt.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Is it really valid to rate the GM for the drafting? I don't know if any of us really know how much influence the GM has on the picks, which I'm sure varies from organization to organization.

Yeah, the two full time NHLers are pretty much a given

Other than a lot of hype, we are still waiting for a regular NHLer from the non lottery picks

but yes, that's more the scouting competency/incompetency than the GM

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I mean, so far it's really only Bennett and Tkachuk as Treliving draft picks that have played regular minutes with the Flames. Incomplete would really be the only fair designation. This season should put some of those prospects to the test, and is pretty clearly make it or break it territory for Brad. I do feel like the prospect pool has some very intriguing players, although maybe somewhat lacking in the blue chip department.

Until the Flames open up some spots and commit to seeing what they have at the pro level, it'll be hard to accurately judge the drafting record.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Is it really valid to rate the GM for the drafting?

Part of their job. Arguably the biggest part. Being a GM of a hockey team is in a lot of ways similar to being the GM of let's say for argument's sake a Boston Pizza. You're in charge of making it run, and all the separate moving parts of making it run fall under your responsibility. Treliving might have limited input into the specific draft lists and scouting decisions, but he's still at the top of that hierarchy as well.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Is it really valid to rate the GM for the drafting? I don't know if any of us really know how much influence the GM has on the picks, which I'm sure varies from organization to organization.

First rounders absolutely he does. After that it goes to more the scouting staff imo

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
I think we have more of a home run philosophy (Fox, Kylington, Andersson, Ruzicka, Phillips, Mangiapane etc.). Players that are highly skilled but also quite flawed. That means we probably won’t get as many hits as some other teams but hopefully we get a few more gems out of it all.

We never got as many hits as most other teams anyways.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Draft picks are not a good way to rate any individual person. It is very much a team effort (regional scouts, head scout, AGMs and GM). The GM gives the scouts direction, so that affects how the scouts rate players. But the scouts also rate the players the management team decides on.Also, just because a pick doesn't work out, doesn't make it a bad pick, the problem could be the developmental part of the organization. More often than not with teh Flames, I believe it to be the latter.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think a better question would be how would you rate Calgary's drafting?
GM's job is to listen to his staff carefully and add input to make the call when the time comes. I mean, most of the time these guys don't even make their first round picks on the podium.

I think in the past 6 draft years it's been average towards poor.
For those interested; the draft picks are below.

Most Resent - Brad Treliving

Brad Treliving

Brad Treliving/Brian Burke

Jay Feaster

Going through it, there's a lot of misses.
Starting from the oldest to the newest. In 2012 we traded down to get an extra pick. Wasted the second. The Gillies & Kulak pick are good value picks at their spots. Jankowski is a mixed bag. I think he's a bottom 6C, some people see him as our best potential centre.
Draft grade: B-

2013, in what was suppose to be a very deep draft. We're getting 1 NHLer from it with a top 6 pick. Albeit a good one, that's still unacceptable.
Draft grade: C-

2014 was an absolute bust. Sam Bennett was derailed. Hoping he can get back to salvage something out of this draft.
Draft Grade: F

2015, no first rounder but I think a good NHL'er in Rasmus Andersson and good potential in Andrew Mangiapane.
Draft Grade: B-

2016, still very fresh. Tkachuk is a top tier talent. Parsons, Dube, Fox strike me as guys who could go to the NHL and be good to great contributors.
Draft Grade: A-

2017, ultra fresh. Good pick on Juuso. Lots of questions marks with the rest of them. Ruzika was positive.
Draft Grade: Too early to tell.

Calgary's been a poor drafting team for a while now. It didn't help when picks were traded like candy, and big slow dinosaurs were picked with first rounders.

Reactions: RedHot

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The 15 and 14 drafts were awful in hindsight. I like Treliving’s philosophy overall, I would also be in favour of firing Button.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The 15 and 14 drafts were awful in hindsight. I like Treliving’s philosophy overall, I would also be in favour of firing Button.
I’d say, although it’s still early, 15 was one of our best years. We traded for one of the highest producing defensemen in the entire NHL. Our picks were lower but there’s not really anyone that’s clearly better than the guys we picked so far.

Don’t believe everything you read on Hfboards, Hamilton’s value is sky high. Probably the centre piece to any #1 centre deal, with a reasonable add of course.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’d say, although it’s still early, 15 was one of our best years. We traded for one of the highest producing defensemen in the entire NHL. Our picks were lower but there’s not really anyone that’s clearly better than the guys we picked so far.

Don’t believe everything you read on Hfboards, Hamilton’s value is sky high. Probably the centre piece to any #1 centre deal, with a reasonable add of course.

I can’t argue with getting Dougie. But speaking simply about the draft, Bennett is the only NHL player we got from that draft and there’s no way any team was not taking him at 4. No one else from that draft is looking like they’ll play. Also what’s not great, there’s a lot of players drafted after Bennett that are doing very well. All around, the draft was not a good one for the Flames.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'll just rate our drafting as a whole since Treliving came in office: I give it a B.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
I can’t argue with getting Dougie. But speaking simply about the draft, Bennett is the only NHL player we got from that draft and there’s no way any team was not taking him at 4. No one else from that draft is looking like they’ll play. Also what’s not great, there’s a lot of players drafted after Bennett that are doing very well. All around, the draft was not a good one for the Flames.

I think you have your drafts mixed up. Bennett was drafted in 2014, and yes that draft was abysmal.

2015 we traded for Hamilton and then drafted Andersson, Kylington and Mangiapane. That one will be a massive win if we get 3 drafted NHLers out of it plus Dougie.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think you have your drafts mixed up. Bennett was drafted in 2014, and yes that draft was abysmal.

2015 we traded for Hamilton and then drafted Andersson, Kylington and Mangiapane. That one will be a massive win if we get 3 drafted NHLers out of it plus Dougie.
2014 was terrible, even if Bennett does turn out, Dougie was 2015

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

You are correct, I did. That year was awful.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
The Dougie trade will always be a win in my books. Unless the Flames scouting list is released and we would have gotten Barzal and were trading the two seconds up to get Carlo or Aho, I will continue to do so.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad