Speculation: How to save the team from Melnyk.

Think this is doable?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattlef

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto, ON
www.youtube.com
Hey everyone,
Just wanted to throw this out there - Because while the past few years have been horrible, we have an opportunity as fans, and the paying clients of the Senators Product - We can force Melnyk out.

We as fans now have an opportunity and can change the direction of this franchise.

First - We need to get everyone sign a petition to boycott the team while EM is the owner - but - develop a committed list for season ticket holders that will renew only with new ownership.

Second- Actively open a dialog with the NHL, including email and phone calls stating our demand, rationale, etc for the product boycott - matched with our willingness to re-invest in the product once the cancer is removed.

Third - I know this is a big ask, but advertising - We need to crowd source the funds to buy up billboard spots - and create radio spots pushing Melnyk out and growing support for the team - and erroding Melnyks hold over the team.

Third - Act. This mean no walk up sales, no season ticket renewals. If you represent corporate deals for packages or boxes - advertising etc - pull your funding out. All the while maintaining consitant contact with the NHL stating that we want to participate and re-engage with the team, but ONLY if ownership is changed.

Basically, we want to show the NHL that the team here is viable - and the reason its not succeeding is because of EM. As such, we can theoretically block any potential "move" - showing that the problem is ownership and forcing the NHL to stand with their product and fans in stating that EM shouldn't be allowed to move the team if we collectively boycott and force a sale.

Currently its EM's toy and he can, unfortunately, do what he wants with it - but we do have power with our wallets, and voices - that when we talk to the NHL directly - and use our money as votes, we can definitely force Melynks hand to sell, or force the NHL to get him to sell.

This will take management, but if we divide and conquer under one single vision to save the team from a Tyrant, we can make this happen. Money ALWAYS wins.

Thoughts?

agent2421

Feb 3, 2008
Ottawa
Let's at least start with MELNYK OUT chants every game and every period. Especially once Karlsson is traded and we get fleeced on the deal.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Complete boycott sounds a bit over the top, and runs the risk of turning away potential buyers who could see a lack of a fan base. To me a better solution would be the "Melnyk Out" chants mentioned above, and maybe a "Melnyk Awareness Night" once every season or month or whatever where people are encouraged not to show up (but they can stay home and watch the game and tweet about it with #somesortofcatchyantiMelnykhashtag. Having only a few thousand fans show up could be a big eye opener, but there would need to be a clear message that can not be misinterpreted.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Complete boycott sounds a bit over the top, and runs the risk of turning away potential buyers who could see a lack of a fan base. To me a better solution would be the "Melnyk Out" chants mentioned above, and maybe a "Melnyk Awareness Night" once every season or month or whatever where people are encouraged not to show up (but they can stay home and watch the game and tweet about it with #somesortofcatchyantiMelnykhashtag. Having only a few thousand fans show up could be a big eye opener, but there would need to be a clear message that can not be misinterpreted.

We used to be consistently among the highest attendances for years. Anyone in a position to buy the team would have done the research to know this. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what bad ownership does to a team's attendance. Look at Chicago before and after Bill Wurtz.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
If anyone wants the true Alfie story please pm me.

(Sorry for the takeover but the truth needs to be heard )

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Tough times as a Sens fan. PD does what he does, he is been put in a difficult position by his owner, El Cheapo Puck Face who probably pays Dorion with a low salary and constant threats. He won't invest into the time, and his divestment strategy is brutal.

Embarrassing and tragic. Don't wish ownership situation like this on any franchise as a fan of the game.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
I would love it if this happened. I don't think it will actually happen, but it would be good if it did.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Remember when this board got the Alfie cheers at 11:11 a few years ago?

Think that we could get a cheer that is like the "North Side Sucks, South Side Sucks" at Redblacks games. But instead with 6:50 remaining in the period one half of the crowd chants "Keep Karlsson" and the other half replies "Trade Melnyk".

agent2421

Feb 3, 2008
Ottawa
Remember when this board got the Alfie cheers at 11:11 a few years ago?

Think that we could get a cheer that is like the "North Side Sucks, South Side Sucks" at Redblacks games. But instead with 6:50 remaining in the period one half of the crowd chants "Keep Karlsson" and the other half replies "Trade Melnyk".

I like it!!

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I feel for you guy the Tampa Bay Lightning has has many terrible owners until Kidd vinik bought them ! I’m sorry

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
The way to save the team from Melnyk is to just not show up. Make it no longer profitable for him to own the team. He still has to reach the cap floor, and if he persists to fail in doing so, I imagine the league would have a interesting conversation with him. It sucks, but unless you're a multi-billionaire, I don't think there's anything any of us can do to make him sell other than not giving Eugene any of our money.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
As long as you're buying tickets, Melnyk doesn't give a care what you chant. Money is all that matters. Don't buy tickets. Don't watch games.

Funny enough, going to a game to chant against Melnyk seems like better value than buying tickets to watch the Sens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad