How much effect does Randy Carlyle have on a UFA signing with Toronto?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I think Carlyle is a guy who will rip you a new ******* in the privacy of the dressing room, but will go to war for you in the media. He reminds me of Pat Quinn in that regard.

This is what I think too. Carlyle and Wilson have different personalities, and Wilson just seems like an ass hole. Carlyle might chew you out but it's done properly and respectfully in my opinion.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
The problem isn't who the coach is, it's the lack of top talent and the losing.

And why are Getzlaf and Perry leaving Anaheim?

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Of course it is, good thing we aren't using double-standards.

I see Carlyle with more structure. He's a former Norris winner, won a Stanley Cup, and doesn't play these stupid games with players. He gives them roles, and make sure everyone knows what is expected of them. He makes sure to strive for every player to play for their strength. Getting them to play to their weakness, then throwing them under the bus like Wilson did with some is just silly.

Last edited:

ForSpareParts*

So you don't call players like Curtis Joseph, Ed Belfour, Alexander Mogilny big name players who signed as UFA's in Toronto.

Agreed. These are elite UFAs (I would even add Steve Thomas to that list). Good UFAs want to win. They sign where that opportunity has the potential to occur. Once our prospects start to improve and we no longer sign the Exelbys and Fingers we'll be an attractive place to play.

You'll see...

:)

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Why must everybody kiss the butts of the trained seals that play in the NHL? Being ripped apart in public by their coach, GM, and the media should be the price they pay for the millions they get.

Out of curiosity, when you see a movie like Running Man, do you think it is a good idea?

People are people, rights and freedoms should not be contingent on the amount of money they get paid.

Unfortunately, that isn't the case in the real world but it is a shame for the sake of humanity that a human life has a cash value...

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
The problem isn't who the coach is, it's the lack of top talent and the losing.

And why are Getzlaf and Perry leaving Anaheim?

They may not be, but the fact that they didnt resign prior to the lockout is a bad sign(although they may want too much money.)

Anaheim is on a down-trend, other than that top line, they really aren't look good, and just lost two huge prospects for next to nothing+ a solid guy in Lupul.

last rumor I heard was Perry is thinking of going around his hometown(toronto), but Getzlaf wants to stay in Anaheim with his family, although Getz wants to keep playing with Perry. Take all of that with a grain of salt of course.

It's not crazy to think we could get one of them though, Burke and Carlyle know them very well, Burke has a great relationship with Anaheim, Perry is from near Toronto etc. obviously there is nothing saying they will be interested as of now though.

RogerRoeper*

There's no way Anaheim can afford both Getzlaf and Perry. They are a bottom 5 revenue team begging for more help from teams like the Leafs. And they're already not spending anywhere close to the cap right now.

And if 1 goes, the other likely follows, even if there's a good offer from Anaheim.

Anaheim could lose Selanne/Perry/Getzlaf/Shultz in 1 year. Ouch. That franchise is in trouble.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
He's right. That 5 year max. rule he has kills the chance to sign a big name UFA.

We'll see what happens under this new CBA. The Leafs will have a lot of money to spend and have big holes to fill. Most of the cap spending teams will be cutting payroll whereas we will be adding.

Make no mistake, agents are going to be hounding Burke this July.

RogerRoeper*

No sought after UFA will sign in Toronto knowing Reimer is the starting goaltender. We need to acquire a goaltender before free agency.

Give a UFA the biggest offer on the market and all of a sudden that concern goes away.

RogerRoeper*

We'll see what happens under this new CBA. The Leafs will have a lot of money to spend and have big holes to fill. Most of the cap spending teams will be cutting payroll whereas we will be adding.

Make no mistake, agents are going to be hounding Burke this July.

I agree. If the new CBA is 5 years max, it's a huge break for the Leafs. Because then Burke will gladly make a competitive offer to all the biggest free agents.

As it stands now, he's not even trying because of the 10+ year contracts UFA's are signing.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
There's no way Anaheim can afford both Getzlaf and Perry. They are a bottom 5 revenue team begging for more help from teams like the Leafs. And they're already not spending anywhere close to the cap right now.

And if 1 goes, the other likely follows, even if there's a good offer from Anaheim.

Anaheim could lose Selanne/Perry/Getzlaf/Shultz in 1 year. Ouch. That franchise is in trouble.

They have good prospects though. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they move Getzlaf and Perry before the deadline and add NHL ready prospects to replace them...rebuild on the fly and be at the cap floor for a couple of years. They are in no position to go on a run and are likely to see a drop in attendance.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
I dont believe Randy's presence within this organization is going to deter anyone from signing in Toronto.

Some players really respond to his coaching style and some do not.

Getz and Perry both played well under Randy and they respect his coaching tactics and understand the reason he coaches the way he does.

Their decisions wont be effected by having Randy here.

It is too easy to point the finger at one element when players do not sign here, but its simply not the most attractive market to a lot of players.

In a cap world where players can get the same amount from about 4/5 different teams where they can live their own lives outside the rink and not be subject of intense scrutiny is always a selling feature.

RogerRoeper*

They have good prospects though. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they move Getzlaf and Perry before the deadline and add NHL ready prospects to replace them...rebuild on the fly and be at the cap floor for a couple of years. They are in no position to go on a run and are likely to see a drop in attendance.

If there's no season they'll lose them for nothing. And Selanne will retire, and they just lost a fantastic young prospect in Shultz for nothing.

I think Murray has done an absolute **** job in Anaheim. Burke delivered a cup and got more criticism there.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I agree. If the new CBA is 5 years max, it's a huge break for the Leafs. Because then Burke will gladly make a competitive offer to all the biggest free agents.

As it stands now, he's not even trying because of the 10+ year contracts UFA's are signing.

That's right. Burke avoided the long deals and caught a lot of heat for it in the process but it might pay off this summer. The max will be at least 6 years and most likely 7 when all is said and done. I don't think Burke would have an issue with 7 year deals for established players. One thing is for certain, the Leafs will easily beat any offers this July.

Money talks, look no further than this CBA mess for evidence.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
If there's no season they'll lose them for nothing. And Selanne will retire, and they just lost a fantastic young prospect in Shultz for nothing.

I think Murray has done an absolute **** job in Anaheim. Burke delivered a cup and got more criticism there.

I'm 100% confident there will be a season given where the two sides are at so yeah that's why I am talking as if there will be one.

RogerRoeper*

I'm 100% confident there will be a season given where the two sides are at so yeah that's why I am talking as if there will be one.

I was in agreement with you until about 4-6 weeks ago. I'm not sure there will be one.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I was in agreement with you until about 4-6 weeks ago. I'm not sure there will be one.

Don't worry they will get a deal. There isn't enough distance between the sides anymore for it to fall apart. We can talk hockey agan in 7 days or less IMO.

InterceptSchenn

Good Evening MrFrost
Jan 15, 2012
Montreal
Honestly, the new CBA may benefit the Leafs the most. A) We have a TON of cash to spend next free agency and B) The contract length will be set in stone for everyone. While I agree that if one of Getz or Perry goes, the other one goes too, I still see them testing the market in July and not resigning in Anaheim. Can Anaheim afford both? Not sure. I believe, for the first time, that we may be a front runner for one, (dare I say both) if we acquire Luongo soon and make the playoffs. Perry and Getz are good ole' Canadian boys! Come home where you belong! 6 years, 45M to both. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad