How much effect does Randy Carlyle have on a UFA signing with Toronto?

RogerRoeper*

Honestly, the new CBA may benefit the Leafs the most. A) We have a TON of cash to spend next free agency and B) The contract length will be set in stone for everyone. While I agree that if one of Getz or Perry goes, the other one goes too, I still see them testing the market in July and not resigning in Anaheim. Can Anaheim afford both? Not sure. I believe, for the first time, that we may be a front runner for one, (dare I say both) if we acquire Luongo soon and make the playoffs. Perry and Getz are good ole' Canadian boys! Come home where you belong! 6 years, 45M to both. :)

I'm not a huge Luongo fan mostly because of his contract, but if the Leafs added those 3 all of a sudden their fortunes turn around overnight.

There's just so much that can happen in the near future for every team.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If there's no season they'll lose them for nothing. And Selanne will retire, and they just lost a fantastic young prospect in Shultz for nothing.

I think Murray has done an absolute **** job in Anaheim. Burke delivered a cup and got more criticism there.
The only thing people give Burke criticism over his time in Anaheim is that he didn't put together the majority of their team which won in 2007. For example they use the excuse didn't draft Perry or Getzlaf. All he did was sign Scott Niedermayer, trade for Chris Pronger and bring back Teemu Selanne as a free agent.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Honestly, the new CBA may benefit the Leafs the most. A) We have a TON of cash to spend next free agency and B) The contract length will be set in stone for everyone. While I agree that if one of Getz or Perry goes, the other one goes too, I still see them testing the market in July and not resigning in Anaheim. Can Anaheim afford both? Not sure. I believe, for the first time, that we may be a front runner for one, (dare I say both) if we acquire Luongo soon and make the playoffs. Perry and Getz are good ole' Canadian boys! Come home where you belong! 6 years, 45M to both. :)

I think all leaf fans can agree we would love to bring in Perry and Getzlaf but right now it is wishful thinking then again who knows I was pretty confident Parise was going to resign with New Jersey and that did not happen.

cujoflutie

The only thing people give Burke criticism over his time in Anaheim is that he didn't put together the majority of their team which won in 2007. For example they use the excuse didn't draft Perry or Getzlaf. All he did was sign Scott Niedermayer, trade for Chris Pronger and bring back Teemu Selanne as a free agent.

You do realize that each and ever defenseman on that club was a Burke acquisition?

One thing that endeared me about Carlyle was his opening press conference: "Lupul claimed I didn't use him properly in Anaheim and he was right" I heard Carlyle take more self accountability in that press conference than Wilson did his entire tenure here.

Wilson was voted the most hated coach and his team was losing, he was definitely a deterrent, the only thing debatable was the degree. Also did the leafs acquire a single player that played for Wilson previously? Off the top of my head the only one it seems that Wilson coached a second time in toronto was Toskala and Vesa was here first.

The coach may not be the first attraction for a free agent but keep in mind the big fish in 2011 (Brad Richards) signed to play for his former coach Tortorella.

Great point whomever brought up the fact that if a player tunes out a coach whom they won a cup under, that says more about the player than the coach.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
bpFRD.gif

How much more money can be made by endorsements in a city like Toronto opposed to ANA?
I heard Budreau on PTS say that he went shopping at Christmas and not only did he not get asked about the lockout, nobody even recognized him. (Really funny interview actually):laugh:

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
How much more money can be made by endorsements in a city like Toronto opposed to ANA?
I heard Budreau on PTS say that he went shopping at Christmas and not only did he not get asked about the lockout, nobody even recognized him. (Really funny interview actually):laugh:
can you link me that lol sounds waesome

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

He made quite a few moves, but some fell into his lap(Niedermayer's brother, Selanne), but that doesn't mean some won't fall into his lap in Toronto.

He traded 4 first round picks/players + for Pronger, so we shouldn't get too attached to the prospects if we want him to do the same thing in Toronto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Pronger

On July 3, Pronger was traded to the Anaheim Ducks for forward Joffrey Lupul, defensive prospect Ladislav Šmíd, Anaheim's 2007 first-round draft pick (traded to the Phoenix Coyotes, picked Nick Ross), a conditional first-round draft pick (dependent on the Ducks reaching the Stanley Cup Finals in the next 3 years, which they did, becoming forward Jordan Eberle),[13] and Anaheim's 2008 second-round draft pick (later traded to the New York Islanders).

What would be the equivalent from the Leafs and who would you want?

Kadri, Rielly, 1st. in 2013, *conditional 1st. 2015, 2nd. in 2014.
for
Zetterberg

* conditional on Leafs making semi finals in next 2 seasons.

Zetterberg is considered one of the better players, has won the Conn Smythe. Pronger was 32 years old for the season he was traded. Zetterberg is 32 now.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
There's no way Anaheim can afford both Getzlaf and Perry. They are a bottom 5 revenue team begging for more help from teams like the Leafs. And they're already not spending anywhere close to the cap right now.

And if 1 goes, the other likely follows, even if there's a good offer from Anaheim.

Anaheim could lose Selanne/Perry/Getzlaf/Shultz in 1 year. Ouch. That franchise is in trouble.

I wouldnt be shocked if the guys that Burke mentioned as being available that people may not think would be available were these two.

We could very well trade for one, definitely not both, as that package would be massive. I'd want Getzlaf of course, but I wouldnt hate getting Perry.

This is without mentioning bobby ryan's unhappiness within the organization, he seems to want out.

That team had a solid foundation, it seems it may be losing most of its top line soon!

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012

for
Zetterberg

Zetterberg is considered one of the better players, has won the Conn Smythe. Pronger was 32 years old for the season he was traded. Zetterberg is 32 now.

Obviously I wouldnt do the trade as the leafs right now. But for them they were in a contending position, a stanley cup contending position, it was the correct move. One turned into eberle but really he was taken very late in the 1st round.

We made a similar move(not quite as huge) in the early 2000's to get owen nolan when we were a deep contender(just coming off the conference finals I believe).

We make that kind of trade when we're missing that one piece from putting us over the top, I.E the recent Rick Nash trade. At this point we are a #1 G from being a playoff team and a #1 C on top of that from being a huge contender.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Obviously I wouldnt do the trade as the leafs right now. But for them they were in a contending position, a stanley cup contending position, it was the correct move. One turned into eberle but really he was taken very late in the 1st round.

We made a similar move(not quite as huge) in the early 2000's to get owen nolan when we were a deep contender(just coming off the conference finals I believe).

We make that kind of trade when we're missing that one piece from putting us over the top, I.E the recent Rick Nash trade. At this point we are a #1 G from being a playoff team and a #1 C on top of that from being a huge contender.

Zetterberg is that #1 C, Luongo the goaltender.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
One thing that endeared me about Carlyle was his opening press conference: "Lupul claimed I didn't use him properly in Anaheim and he was right" I heard Carlyle take more self accountability in that press conference than Wilson did his entire tenure here.
I also remember when Carlyle said that and I thought to myself wow at least he can admit when he made a mistake. Prior to the talk of Carlyle coming to Toronto my friend in Anaheim who is a Ducks fan told me he and Lupul never got a long and etc, so at least I told her she was wrong about that.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Zetterberg is that #1 C, Luongo the goaltender.

I'd rather trade for Getzlaf, he'd be much cheaper to attain and is 5 years younger.

I dont mind bringing in Luongo as we only need to buy time for goaltending, but I dont want an old #1 C that's close to the twilight of his career. We need a guy that will be here for a while.

EDIT: Plus doesnt zetterberg play left wing mostly?

RogerRoeper*

Neidermayer and Selanne really screwed the team. You can't blame the Gm for that.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I think winning a championship is more important to them then the coach, look at the jays there brining in some nice talent only because there in contention. Nyr were in contention with richard puts em over the top. Wait for the leafs to be good and they could find the right ufa

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
I see Carlyle with more structure. He's a former Norris winner, won a Stanley Cup, and doesn't play these stupid games with players. He gives them roles, and make sure everyone knows what is expected of them. He makes sure to strive for every player to play for their strength. Getting them to play to their weakness, then throwing them under the bus like Wilson did with some is just silly.

Carlyle is far and away the better coach, no argument and I agree with what you say. However, I wasn't talking about him, I was talking about how Eakins calls out players the same as Wilson, the same guy people talk about as a god around here. There's no sugar coating it, calling out a player is calling out a player.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
He made quite a few moves, but some fell into his lap(Niedermayer's brother, Selanne), but that doesn't mean some won't fall into his lap in Toronto.

He traded 4 first round picks/players + for Pronger, so we shouldn't get too attached to the prospects if we want him to do the same thing in Toronto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Pronger

for
Zetterberg

I'm sorry, but Rielly does not equal Smid. I'd be fine with that deal if you include A dman not named Rielly or Gardiner. Yes, I realize you have to give to get, but you shouldn't be giving up the brightest young parts of your team.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I'm sorry, but Rielly does not equal Smid. I'd be fine with that deal if you include A dman not named Rielly or Gardiner. Yes, I realize you have to give to get, but you shouldn't be giving up the brightest young parts of your team.

He may not have equaled Reilly but at the time was a highly touted 9th over all pick. It was the closest comparison.

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
From what I've read from Ducks fans Getzlaf might have some negative feelings towards Carlyle, while Perry does not.

In the long run I think replacing Wilson with Carlyle makes Toronto a slightly more appealing destination. But, if Getzlaf really does have beef with Carlyle, he may be the reason we miss out on that big #1 center we've been looking for.

I thought it was Bobby Ryan that was having issues with RC, hence all the BR trade talk at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->