How many youngsters will cross?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
I have had a few conversations with old hockey friends of mine that are in the NHLPA currently over the past week and our conversations got me thinking of how many NHLPA members will cross the line IF impasse and replacement are put into effect.

One of my friends is a marginal-bubble player that gets about 8-12 mins of ice per game and the other is a legit starter that puts up nearly a point a game over the past 2 seasons. Both are 24 yrs old and both said they WILL play IF owners declare impasse and get to use replacements.

How many of the current 700+ PA members do you think will be at replacement training camp IF it opens? 10%? 25%? 50%? I assume it will be mostly guys 25 and under and alot of older "bubble" players with many of the Prongers and Guerins sitting at home pouting, but you never know.

I peg it at about 25% or so to start.

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
ryz said:
I have had a few conversations with old hockey friends of mine that are in the NHLPA currently over the past week and our conversations got me thinking of how many NHLPA members will cross the line IF impasse and replacement are put into effect.

One of my friends is a marginal-bubble player that gets about 8-12 mins of ice per game and the other is a legit starter that puts up nearly a point a game over the past 2 seasons. Both are 24 yrs old and both said they WILL play IF owners declare impasse and get to use replacements.

How many of the current 700+ PA members do you think will be at replacement training camp IF it opens? 10%? 25%? 50%? I assume it will be mostly guys 25 and under and alot of older "bubble" players with many of the Prongers and Guerins sitting at home pouting, but you never know.

I peg it at about 25% or so to start.

It be safe to say that about 40-50% would, just to get back playing.

X0ssbar

I'd put some dough down that at least 50% of the players would cross.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Look what happened years ago in the NFL, a few at first and the floodgates opened. In SJ, I think we would be lucky to see 50% initially.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I would think that the majority of players with valid contracts would definetely cross. With an impasse I don't think their contract would get rolled back, so for many of them, this would be there last chance to really cash in.

Most players would still be making MUCH more than they can clear in Europe. I really think that most players would cross.

When NFL players started crossing the picket line, guys like Joe Montana crossed and it never hurt his career or reputation.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Beukeboom Fan said:
I would think that the majority of players with valid contracts would definetely cross. With an impasse I don't think their contract would get rolled back, so for many of them, this would be there last chance to really cash in.

Most players would still be making MUCH more than they can clear in Europe. I really think that most players would cross.

When NFL players started crossing the picket line, guys like Joe Montana crossed and it never hurt his career or reputation.

The problem as i understand it is there in not unough US born players to fill the rosters of the 24 us teams as they can't use foreign players to fill the spots.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
Chayos1 said:
The problem as i understand it is there in not unough US born players to fill the rosters of the 24 us teams as they can't use foreign players to fill the spots.

im not sure if that applies here, as the NHL is not a US based Company. Its not a company at all, in a sense.

I think they can sign anybody they want, especially if the IMpasse is upheld in court.

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Chayos1 said:

Mike Modano is from the US ... and he needs $$$ apparantly... ill bet he would play... on question... can a player who crosses the picket line be from Europe? or do these immigration laws apply until the impasse is over? ie could jagr play for the rangers if he wanted to cross?

gerbilanium

Oct 17, 2003
They will all cross, just like Joe Montana did and they all came flooding afterwards and there was no 'retribution' either.

FlyersGuy69

Jul 9, 2002
purgatory
Visit site
I think that it would be like opening a flood gate. I think that it would start out 30%-50%, mostly young and older fringe players. then, like an explosion, the others(1st & 2nd tier players) would come and it would be all over.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
gerbilanium said:
They will all cross, just like Joe Montana did and they all came flooding afterwards and there was no 'retribution' either.
If 450 or so of the players crossed within a few weeks, what "retribution" would the 300 that didn't cross impose on the 450 that did? I don't like their odds.

Also, Dakota brings up a good point. If a Euro crosses the line right at the start, can he still suit up for the team that owns his rights? As a Flames fan we NEED Kipper, and I bet he'd be there too!

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
ryz said:
If 450 or so of the players crossed within a few weeks, what "retribution" would the 300 that didn't cross impose on the 450 that did? I don't like their odds.

Also, Dakota brings up a good point. If a Euro crosses the line right at the start, can he still suit up for the team that owns his rights? As a Flames fan we NEED Kipper, and I bet he'd be there too!

Euro's can't cross the line. The work permits in both the US and Canada will be revoked. That tranlates into 33% of all players will be ineligible to play. Add to that Canadians will only be able to play in Canada and Americans will only be able to play in the US, 24 teams will have very slim rosters.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I'd love to see it, but I don't think it would be that many guys. A trickle to start.

Logically, you'd think it would be more, but if the players were logical, they wouldn't be flushing away billions in salaries over a cap that simply won't affect them that much.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
I would definitley watch the NHL with replacement players, especially if guys like Goc, Ehrhoff, Bernier, Hennessy, and some more proven young guys like Cheechoo, Toskala ect. Were playing.

I would have no problem.

I don'T have a problem with replacement but the real question is HOW MUCH WOULD YOU PAY to watch that ?

There's a HUGE DIFFERENCE with agreeing to have replacement players & PAYING YOUR PAYCHECK TO SEE THEM ?

50$ ? 60$ ? 70$ ? 80$ ? 90$

Personnally I don't mind if the NHL use replacement but I wouldn't pay 1$ for a ticket. I would certainly watch them on TV.

SENSible1*

vanlady said:
Euro's can't cross the line. The work permits in both the US and Canada will be revoked. That tranlates into 33% of all players will be ineligible to play. Add to that Canadians will only be able to play in Canada and Americans will only be able to play in the US, 24 teams will have very slim rosters.
Please provide proof of this assertion.

If these European players are already under contract, they have valid visa's in place. How does a strike by the PA make those Visa's invalid?

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Thunderstruck said:
Please provide proof of this assertion.

If these European players are already under contract, they have valid visa's in place. How does a strike by the PA make those Visa's invalid?

I suggest you read up on what happened to the ECHL during there last labor dispute. All work permits were cancelled once the strike was called, whether the player had a contract or not. US and Canadian immigration laws are very clear on non citizens involvement in labor disputes. No players that were not native to the country they played in are not allowed to play. Wetcoaster has posted the link on this several times, but I will look for it for you if you wish.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
vanlady said:
I suggest you read up on what happened to the ECHL during there last labor dispute. All work permits were cancelled once the strike was called, whether the player had a contract or not. US and Canadian immigration laws are very clear on non citizens involvement in labor disputes. No players that were not native to the country they played in are not allowed to play. Wetcoaster has posted the link on this several times, but I will look for it for you if you wish.
Oh hell I'm confused as to whether the NHLPA is gonna strike or decertify if the NHL declares impasse. Which is the more likely reaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad