How many youngsters will cross?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENSible1*

vanlady said:
I suggest you read up on what happened to the ECHL during there last labor dispute. All work permits were cancelled once the strike was called, whether the player had a contract or not. US and Canadian immigration laws are very clear on non citizens involvement in labor disputes. No players that were not native to the country they played in are not allowed to play. Wetcoaster has posted the link on this several times, but I will look for it for you if you wish.

Please post the link.

Does the ECHL operate in more than one country?

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
tradetalker24 said:
what do your hockey friends know about the CBA? Anything we havent heard?

They know very little. As many have suggested they almost seemed to be in the dark with what was going on. They knew no more than I did as a fan reading TSN and visiting the HFBoards. I almost felt bad for them with myself and another guy going off on them the way we did. They said it wasn't the first time they had taken the brunt of some angry words from friends and family throughout this lockout.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Thunderstruck said:
Please post the link.

Does the ECHL operate in more than one country?

Yes they do, they operate in Canada and the US

Strike Breaker Provisions

As in the O-1 category, "strike-breaker" provisions apply to the P category. If the Secretary of Labor certifies that a strike or other labor dispute involving a work stoppage of workers is in progress in the occupation at the place where the beneficiary is to be employed and that the employment of the beneficiary would adversely affect the wages, and working conditions of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents, a P petition will not be approved.

http://www.americanlaw.com/p-1.html

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
PecaFan said:
I'd love to see it, but I don't think it would be that many guys. A trickle to start.

Logically, you'd think it would be more, but if the players were logical, they wouldn't be flushing away billions in salaries over a cap that simply won't affect them that much.

Ahhh but here is the real kick that baseball players figured out. If you cross the line you no longer are part of the union and never will be again. That means you lose your union benefits and any cut you had in the most lucrative licencing money. Unlike the NHL the NHLPA has been brilliant at marketing and made millions on licencing.

http://www.sportslawnews.com/archive/Articles 2000/MLBPAscabs.htm
http://www.petitiononline.com/donnelly/petition.html

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
txomisc said:
Oh hell I'm confused as to whether the NHLPA is gonna strike or decertify if the NHL declares impasse. Which is the more likely reaction?

The players have choices to make, the most likely scenario if impasse is declared is the players will strike. Why? Because then they will be able to file an injunction just as the MLB players did, that is why the season never started in baseball. Once they get the stay, depending on the findings of the court, they can receive a per se ruling and start playing under the old CBA. This doesn't have to go all the way to the board in Washington before everything hits the fan. All it will take is union to file with the NLRB and the NLRB preliminary findings hold that there is possibly unfair labor, then the union can file for the injunction.

Decertification is the armagedon weapon. I don't see it getting to this stage. In most cases in pro sports all it takes is the threat and the owners cave.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
vanlady said:
The players have choices to make, the most likely scenario if impasse is declared is the players will strike. Why? Because then they will be able to file an injunction just as the MLB players did, that is why the season never started in baseball. Once they get the stay, depending on the findings of the court, they can receive a per se ruling and start playing under the old CBA. This doesn't have to go all the way to the board in Washington before everything hits the fan. All it will take is union to file with the NLRB and the NLRB preliminary findings hold that there is possibly unfair labor, then the union can file for the injunction.

Decertification is the armagedon weapon. I don't see it getting to this stage. In most cases in pro sports all it takes is the threat and the owners cave.

IMO if this mess ever comes to decertification for the NHLPA or a declaration of impasse for the owners, whoever wins...we lose.

The "winners" will have the honour of pumping their collective fists in the air and bellowing 'we won, we won!', all the while surrounded by ashes and a dead league.

Yay for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad