How many times can skates be baked?

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
Been working with a shop to get some new skates. I have VERY hard to fit feet and my next step is going to a full custom, but I've been working with them on fitting some Grafs.

My question though, is how many times a skate like the G70 can be baked and formed? We did some serious punching and manipulation of the boot, then we baked them. We found that I still needed even more widening in the toe box (already in a wide boot) and some more punching for a bone that sticks out on my left foot along with some widening in the middle foot on the right side.

Now the heel doesnt seem as planted as before and I thought we ought to re-bake them and let my foot form the skate again since we've made fairly significant manipulations since the first time.

They said that they should not be baked more than once as it will seriously degrade the material in the boot and just make it softer, less supportive and break down faster.

Is this true? I thought those materials simply got soft when hot and then formed and that it would simply do the same a second time or third if needed?

Can it be done more than once? They said they'd do it if I want, but hae always been advised against it by the manufacturers.

wildebeest

Jan 7, 2008
Alton, IL
The general consensus seems to be 3 times. After that, the resins and epoxies start to break down and lead to premature skate death.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
Cool. Thanks.

I'll get the rest of the punching and molding done then when I'm sure all that is how it should be, I'll bake them one more time to finalize the fit.

Thanks.

xxgt465xx

May 3, 2009
San Clemente, CA
Grafs are actually the only skates that can be baked an unlimited number of times. Its just how they construct the boot so that the process of baking doesn't adversely affect the skate boot.

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
Grafs are actually the only skates that can be baked an unlimited number of times. Its just how they construct the boot so that the process of baking doesn't adversely affect the skate boot.

The ccm u+ pro can supposedly be baked unlimited times as well. I had a shop offer to bake them just so I could try them on. Sounded sketchy to me but the guy said he has a customer who brings his skates back in to be baked weekly. Ridiculous as that is the skates were apparently no worse for it.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Sorry to resurrect a thread from beyond the grave, but I'm curious if there's any new info about this.

I have CCM Jetspeeds (Maxx 2.0), and I obviously got them baked when I got them (around 6 months ago now), but I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't try getting them re-baked... and if that would even do anything helpful. They fit amazingly at first, but lately it seems like my feet are killing me to the point where I don't want to put any weight on them a couple minutes into warmups. As the game gets going the pain goes away, but it's intense enough that I wonder if I can do something about it. Is re-baking an option, or would it just add unnecessary wear to the skates?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Sorry to resurrect a thread from beyond the grave, but I'm curious if there's any new info about this.

I have CCM Jetspeeds (Maxx 2.0), and I obviously got them baked when I got them (around 6 months ago now), but I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't try getting them re-baked... and if that would even do anything helpful. They fit amazingly at first, but lately it seems like my feet are killing me to the point where I don't want to put any weight on them a couple minutes into warmups. As the game gets going the pain goes away, but it's intense enough that I wonder if I can do something about it. Is re-baking an option, or would it just add unnecessary wear to the skates?

Materials haven't improved much since then. Go for it. I wouldn't bake them more than 3 times or so.

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
Not sure if this thread still works, but i just bought new True TF7's and the shop baked them.
but I should have watched a how to video before going- they did not stagger the heating and i could feel one boot was a little different when molding because it had cooled while lacing the first skate.

can you bake these more than once? i would only need to do one skate again

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Not sure if this thread still works, but i just bought new True TF7's and the shop baked them.
but I should have watched a how to video before going- they did not stagger the heating and i could feel one boot was a little different when molding because it had cooled while lacing the first skate.

can you bake these more than once? i would only need to do one skate again

Yeah, the general rule is no more than 2-3 times at most, so a 2nd time is fine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad