How many teams will force a game 6 down 3-1?

How many teams down 3-1 will survive game 5 and force a sixth game?

• Total voters

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Pretty sure you didn’t watch the game, cause we outplayed them for most of it. Our breakdowns cost us, and Rask made a few saves that Andy didn’t.

Watched the game and agree with you. The Leafs outplayed the Bruins but defensive breakdowns cost the Leafs big time. What makes you think that anything will be different when the Leafs play in Boston? Leafs are a good team with bad D. This has been the difference in this series. I originally thought that the Leafs offense will over come their problems at D but that has not happened.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Oh my god thank you for that awesome stat. I'll think about that when I'm watching the Stanley Cup DVD. :laugh:

But in all seriousness they played within their skill level and it wasn't pretty at times, but they made it work. I recommend you listen to maybe an hour of Sully talk about hockey and the x's and o's, attention to details (Defensively), layers of defense, layers of offense, and then you will see that is what Toronto is missing.

It's not just one fancy stat. It's trying to get the most of your team. Last year we were without Letang, Bones for the Cup Finals, Hornqvist/Hags for parts of the Caps/Sens series, Sid for 1.5 games in Washington, etc. The Pens couldn't be the 2016 Pens so they went about it a different way. It wasn't beautiful. But it was their way to win.

So let's look at Toronto. Great speed. Do they use that speed in all 3 zones? Do they bring layers of defense with that speed? Nope. They can't even rotate an F3 out to support pinching dmen to be aggressive. In the d-zone it makes me laugh. They puck watch so much.

I'm not trying to crap on the Leafs. There is a very small margin between good and great. Leafs are there. They can take greatness but it isn't just going to be on skill in today's NHL. If they had HALF the structure Boston has and attention to detail that Boston has in their roles, they'd win this series.

One thing this new version of the Bruins retained from Claude is attention to detail and team play.

Reactions: Trizz617

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
None. The statistic of going back from a 3-1 deficit is not very good.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I have a sneaking feeling Philly wins tomorrow night. Pittsburgh's domination of them in Philly coupled with people just assuming the series is over just has upset written all over tomorrow's game.

GaryinPrague

Dec 12, 2011
Wild have no chance, they have the 2nd worst away record of all playoff teams, the jets have the best home record of all playoff teams, the jets are dominating them in corsi, no other team in the playoffs have been as dominant in their series

Reactions: powerstuck

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Elimination games are the toughest. It's really hard to finish a team off. That's for damn sure. But it's going to take some heroics to pull it off:

- Wild are without a few of their top players and they are playing a loaded Jets team. Good luck.

The Jets are playing their 7th and 8th defensemen, and two rookie AHL defensemen in Game 5. In addition, their best defenseman (Morrissey) is out. I wouldn’t count the Wild out yet especially with how Dubynk has been playing.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
NJ will need a huge game from Taylor Hall... but even then, they can’t keep up with Tampa. Giving up too many goals.

Now my Flyers everyone assumes are done, and probably so. But never underestimate a team’s will to win with it truly being a do or die situation against your hated rival.

Giving up too many goals through four games...

Pitt goals for = 18

Tampa goals for = 15

Nj goals for = 11

Philly goals for = 6

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I voted none.

If it's gonna happen it will be avs. They have dominated most of the series.

Don't take it personally, I'm just pointing out the terminology used here. On HF this is often done where posters paint a more extreme portrait with their words than what is hsppeneijg in reality.

So saying "the Avs have dominated most of the series" is a stretch. A more appropriate description would be "the Avs have carried the play more often in the series".

Because if we're being honest, and awarding points by period. I'd give the Avs a 7-5 advantage and could make a case for it being 6-6. Then you look at the game results and have the Preds up 3-1, so even when the Avs have outplayed the Predators it hasn't been as productive as when the Predators outplayed the Avs.

All of that is to say that the word dominant isn't the best description for what has actually taken place. However, I would not be shocked if Colorado wins tonight and even looks like a more "dominant" team. It depends on how much emotion and effort the Preds want to involve in this game.

Reactions: cgf and powerstuck

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
Giving up too many goals through four games...

Pitt goals for = 18

Tampa goals for = 15

Nj goals for = 11

Philly goals for = 6
I didn’t say Philly wasn’t. Ask any Flyers fan and they’ll tell you we’re done.

Can’t wait to watch Patrick be better than Hischier btw.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
The poll asked how many will force a game 6. I don't think any will win, but I feel like at least one has to force a game 6 statistically. I just won't pick which one :laugh:

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
So you saw the highlights, pretty much sums it up then, right?

Ask a B’s fan, we outplayed them pretty handily.

Congrats on outplaying them for a solid 3-1 loss, achieving your goal of being down 3-1 in the series.

Typical Leafs. "Yes we suck but we're still more important and relevant than any other conversation going on"

They're toast tomorrow night.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
So you saw the highlights, pretty much sums it up then, right?

Ask a B’s fan, we outplayed them pretty handily.

Yes Leafs outplayed us in Toronto. Hopefully we will have Bergeron back for Saturday and can play as well as we played games 1 and 2 at home. Finish it as early as possible.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I'll say none.
I'll also say no game 7's in the 1st rd.
Least exciting 1st round in regards to series drama i can remember.
Save us rd 2. :crossfing

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Odds are that one of these teams has to win, right? Maybe Colorado can steal a game?

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Well, Philly is the most bipolar of the teams so I wouldn't be surprised if they won 7-1 in game 5 or lost 7-1.
Don't think The Leafs can play the kind of playoff style road game to win. I think the Bruins played them perfectly last game. Toronto was exciting but not really many actual chances and have had a lot difficulty generating second chances all series.
I do think Minnesota might be able to play that kind of road game as there's the chance that Winnipeg might be a bit 'too keen' to win their first series and lose their structure.
New Jersey is a good team. I don't think Tampa has really out-played them. If NJ score first I think they can control the tempo.
Colorado is like the Leafs. Talented (although missing guys) but don't think they can shut it down on the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad