How many teams will force a game 6 down 3-1?

How many teams down 3-1 will survive game 5 and force a sixth game?

• Total voters

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Columbus/Washington is guaranteed to go at least 6 games.

Both Pacific Division series were sweeps (thus no West Coast games tonight and a relatively early lack of more playoff hockey save for these 2 games that just ended tonight.

We have a whopping FIVE series with a team up 3 games to 1 (and all of them have game 5 on home ice).

So theoretically, by Sunday, we could be down to 1 series still going on and we could only have one series going on by Monday. Hell, Sunday might have NO playoff games potentially.

Flyers/Leafs/Wild/Avalanche/Devils- how many if any of these teams over the next 48 hours do you see staving off elimination on the road?

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Elimination games are the toughest. It's really hard to finish a team off. That's for damn sure. But it's going to take some heroics to pull it off:

- Wild are without a few of their top players and they are playing a loaded Jets team. Good luck.
- Flyers lost one of their top stars and are playing against the Pens while playing goaltender roulette. Good luck.
- Colorado is on their 10th goalie and without their star defender. Good luck.

- Toronto barely came to play in Game 4 but probably has one of the best chances. I guess? Maybe at best.

- Devils are my pick because they've battled hard against a great Tampa team. They have looked like they fit and while things haven't gone their way, they play a solid brand of hockey.

I'll go with 2. 1 upset to keep it alive (Philly) and Devils.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
- Toronto barely came to play in Game 4 but probably has one of the best chances. I guess? Maybe at best.

Pretty sure you didn’t watch the game, cause we outplayed them for most of it. Our breakdowns cost us, and Rask made a few saves that Andy didn’t.

Reactions: Btown

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Pretty sure you didn’t watch the game, cause we outplayed them for most of it. Our breakdowns cost us, and Rask made a few saves that Andy didn’t.

Yes - you started the game by watching the puck and a crappy goal went in. Then the awful pinches by the defense weren't supported by the forwards coming back. Not only were the pinches bad, the defender gives pass and not the shot like it's taught since day 1.

I never for once felt like Toronto had control of the game. If you can't get a win on a night like that, we shall see. Could they do it? Sure. Why not. Anything can happen in hockey. Is it likely? Hell no.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Yes - you started the game by watching the puck and a crappy goal went in. Then the awful pinches by the defense weren't supported by the forwards coming back. Not only were the pinches bad, the defender gives pass and not the shot like it's taught since day 1.

I never for once felt like Toronto had control of the game. If you can't get a win on a night like that, we shall see. Could they do it? Sure. Why not. Anything can happen in hockey. Is it likely? Hell no.

So you saw the highlights, pretty much sums it up then, right?

Ask a B’s fan, we outplayed them pretty handily.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So you saw the highlights, pretty much sums it up then, right?

Ask a B’s fan, we outplayed them pretty handily.

Yeah i didn't like the Leafs game. They passed around the perimeter and showed some speed? Okay. And when did they control the game? Never. Boston wasn't on the attack like they could be but they seemed to be playing a safer/smarter game without one of their big guns. If the Leafs idea of winning is to look cute making 5 passes and 0 shots, all on the outside, so be it. It won't work.

Boston fans can tell you what they want. I think the Bs went in there with a game plan of being very safe and trying to exploit the Toronto blunders. It seemed to me like a safe road game where they tried to make it a low scoring game.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Yeah i didn't like the Leafs game. They passed around the perimeter and showed some speed? Okay. And when did they control the game? Never. Boston wasn't on the attack like they could be but they seemed to be playing a safer/smarter game without one of their big guns. If the Leafs idea of winning is to look cute making 5 passes and 0 shots, all on the outside, so be it. It won't work.

Boston fans can tell you what they want. I think the Bs went in there with a game plan of being very safe and trying to exploit the Toronto blunders. It seemed to me like a safe road game where they tried to make it a low scoring game.

Ya, totally. Marner breakaway, 2 other 2 on 1’s, a bunch of pucks Rask had no idea where they were, a flubbed play by Rask behind the net that we couldn’t bury.

Our D misplayed the only 2 odd man rushes they had all game and Freddy didn’t save either.

Their first goal was a seeing eye shot that I’m pretty sure went off a leaf stick early.

If you think that was their game plan you’re wrong.

Root

Feb 22, 2010

this is spot on. for as much as the leafs controlled the puck they did not get many second chances and were kept to the perimeter. Rask made some huge saves and had a great game, but compared to game three we limited the leafs odd man rushes and played smarter defensively. The Bruins played a safe game and capitalized off the leafs mistakes, it was frustrating to watch as a fan but they went in there with the right game plan.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ya, totally. Marner breakaway, 2 other 2 on 1’s, a bunch of pucks Rask had no idea where they were, a flubbed play by Rask behind the net that we couldn’t bury.

Our D misplayed the only 2 odd man rushes they had all game and Freddy didn’t save either.

Their first goal was a seeing eye shot that I’m pretty sure went off a leaf stick early.

If you think that was their game plan you’re wrong.

Hey be proud of your squad then. I don't agree with you. From a non rooting interest, I thought the Leafs played their game of inconsistent with chances and giving up chances, but I never once thought they controlled the game. I thought the Bruins went in with a game plan of being safe and trying to sneak out a win. They did it. I never once felt the Leafs were going to win that game.

And the first goal was brutal. :laugh: Brutal. Hainsey chasing in the neutral zone. Marner with a love tap on the shin pads and then veering off to leave the forward coming in against Rielly. Rielly (i believe it was) standing there next to his goalie not taking the player Marner just passed off. And then top it off with a must-save shot... yeah. That was brutal.

And maybe that's what you are missing in Toronto. You have all this speed and skill and there is no attention to detail in your game at all. Oh you get some breakaways? Cool. You give some odd man rushes up? Cool. Fun to watch, but what makes a team like Tampa/Boston/Pittsburgh tick is their attention to detail.

But I respectfully disagree. I hope Toronto comes back. I think the atmosphere in Toronto is awesome and I want the crowd to see as many games as they can. IMO - it's very unlikely. But good luck. And I mean that.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON

The Leafs were taking the play to BOS until the Bruins scored on that two on one late in the second period. After that, the Leafs played too much of a perimeter game for my liking, however.

I would like a game six, but I don't like the chances of a game five win.

PHI is done for sure tomorrow. I can see MIN, NJ and TOR all losing in five games. Maybe COL forces a game six.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Wild I'm hoping, but probably none.

Caps/BJs go the distance tho. And with them being the only teams playing, it will be a slow week of hockey.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
And maybe that's what you are missing in Toronto. You have all this speed and skill and there is no attention to detail in your game at all. Oh you get some breakaways? Cool. You give some odd man rushes up? Cool. Fun to watch, but what makes a team like Tampa/Boston/Pittsburgh tick is their attention to detail.

You do realize PIT was one of the worst teams (if not the worst) in the playoffs in terms of SAT% close last year, right?

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle

I think you have some valid points about the way the Bruins played tonight, last game the Leafs were consistently able to connect on the stretch pass leading to multiple scoring chances and goals in their favor. Tonight the Bruins really over played the man with the puck forcing bad turnovers and it worked.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Wild I'm hoping, but probably none.

Caps/BJs go the distance tho. And with them being the only teams playing, it will be a slow week of hockey.

Running down the Caps and the BJs?

173c8701b1e8aceedde6b4a49a2bb89bc5ee4fb32dc2d04223e1180a01a21ea6.jpg

And just minutes before 4/20, no less...

Reactions: NOLAPensFan

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Hey be proud of your squad then. I don't agree with you. From a non rooting interest, I thought the Leafs played their game of inconsistent with chances and giving up chances, but I never once thought they controlled the game. I thought the Bruins went in with a game plan of being safe and trying to sneak out a win. They did it. I never once felt the Leafs were going to win that game.

And the first goal was brutal. :laugh: Brutal. Hainsey chasing in the neutral zone. Marner with a love tap on the shin pads and then veering off to leave the forward coming in against Rielly. Rielly (i believe it was) standing there next to his goalie not taking the player Marner just passed off. And then top it off with a must-save shot... yeah. That was brutal.

But I respectfully disagree. I hope Toronto comes back. I think the atmosphere in Toronto is awesome and I want the crowd to see as many games as they can. IMO - it's very unlikely. But good luck. And I mean that.
Disagrees with a fan understandably annoyed about a loss and probable playoff exit, but takes the high road.

Good post. We need more of this, instead of the puerile bickering because someone saw a play/game/season/coach/team/trade/pick/signing differently.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You do realize PIT was one of the worst teams (if not the worst) in the playoffs in terms of SAT% close last year, right?

Oh my god thank you for that awesome stat. I'll think about that when I'm watching the Stanley Cup DVD. :laugh:

But in all seriousness they played within their skill level and it wasn't pretty at times, but they made it work. I recommend you listen to maybe an hour of Sully talk about hockey and the x's and o's, attention to details (Defensively), layers of defense, layers of offense, and then you will see that is what Toronto is missing.

It's not just one fancy stat. It's trying to get the most of your team. Last year we were without Letang, Bones for the Cup Finals, Hornqvist/Hags for parts of the Caps/Sens series, Sid for 1.5 games in Washington, etc. The Pens couldn't be the 2016 Pens so they went about it a different way. It wasn't beautiful. But it was their way to win.

So let's look at Toronto. Great speed. Do they use that speed in all 3 zones? Do they bring layers of defense with that speed? Nope. They can't even rotate an F3 out to support pinching dmen to be aggressive. In the d-zone it makes me laugh. They puck watch so much.

I'm not trying to crap on the Leafs. There is a very small margin between good and great. Leafs are there. They can take greatness but it isn't just going to be on skill in today's NHL. If they had HALF the structure Boston has and attention to detail that Boston has in their roles, they'd win this series.

Reactions: theblackadder

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
Let’s see

Avs are for sure done tomorrow night.

Good night, Toronto. You ran into a buzzsaw.

Wild are probably done, idk. Them and the Jets are the two teams in these playoffs I’ve probably watched the least.

NJ will need a huge game from Taylor Hall... but even then, they can’t keep up with Tampa. Giving up too many goals.

Now my Flyers everyone assumes are done, and probably so. But never underestimate a team’s will to win with it truly being a do or die situation against your hated rival.

Reactions: Grub

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad