Speculation: How many rookies should be on the 23-man roster?

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Coming in to camp, there will be:

1) Sandin
2) Lilly
3) Lehtonen
4) Robertson
5) Barabanov

I see Lehtonen, Robertson and one of Sandin/Lilly making the roster. Barabanov has a lot to prove so is he AHL fodder?

Even though Lehtonen and Barabanov have KHL experience, the NHL is a different animal....

Thoughts?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I particularly like the chances for Barabanov and Lehtonen. They are rookies only in terms of NHL experience, not in terms of age. Robertson's chances increase if Johnsson is traded. Sandin and Liljegren may be in toughest if Lehtonen is on the bottom pairing, and also if a preference exists to avoid having complements playing there without a full NHL season under their belts. Don't know if any of them should be spares, unless the idea is to have some rotations going.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Won't know the answer until after training camp. It depends on how they progress and play.

I'd expect Barabanov and Lehtonen are locks. But they could arrive and suck, like Petri Kontiola, and disappear.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Barabanov and Lehtonen seem like locks to start the year.
I’d like to see Lili make it, he’s made good strides. If Pie signs, I like the odds.
Sandin I’d prefer in the A rounding out his game, and Robertson in junior doing the same - but he could certainly force the issue.
Korshkov could force his way on the team with a good camp.
So, two to four, with Sandin and Robertson pressing by the end of the year.
Edit: I’m expecting a 20-21 man roster

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd say 3 have a great shot (Robertson, Barabanov and Lehtonen) with Liljegren/Sandin having a decent shot, but are likely going to factor in more next year when they will likely take over bottom pairing duties.

0: Practically 0% certainty.
>= 1: Practically 100% certainty.
>= 2: Practically 100% certainty.
>= 3: 80% Certainty.
>= 4: ~30% certainty.
>=5: Practically 0% certainty.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
The Leafs have no rookies that should even be sniffing a job in the NHL if they want to be competitive.

It's kind of embarrassing this question is even being asked.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
The Leafs have no rookies that should even be sniffing a job in the NHL if they want to be competitive.

It's kind of embarrassing this question is even being asked.
Not really true, every team that goes deep in the playoffs usually has a few rookies as well.

If we can solidify the top 4 with a RHD I would have no problem giving Sandin/Liljegren the start of the season in sheltered minutes to see if they can stick. They have to play here at some point, might as well see what they have. If not you upgrade at the deadline.

I think it would actually be tougher for Robertson to make it though. He looked okay in games 1 and 2 against Columbus but once the rest of the NHL players got their legs back he fell behind the play and was clearly a step behind.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
1) Sandin is no longer a rookie and no he'll be sent to the Marlies to start the season in order to give Lehtonen his trial with the team.
2) Liljegren will be on the NHL roster but will be used sparingly to start the season.
3) Lehtonen will start with the team unless he's really bad.
4) Dubas will come back to his senses and slow down things with Robertson. He'll have other bodies available.
5) Barabanov will make the team and get his shot.

As someone added:
6) Korshkov should make the team as his game is perfectly suited to an NHL 4th line.
I'll add:
7) Brooks is a player that Keefe was perfectly comfortable using.
8) Is Hallander further ahead than we think?

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
It's a little hard to speculate given we don't know exactly how many bodies are coming in and how many are going out. Which could increase or decrease chances for these guys.

I think they will try and have someone in place so they don't have to rush Nick Robertson. Johnsson was injured and they were trying to put forth their best roster, so they let him get his feet wet.

Lehtonen and Sandin are both likely to be on the team. I think they move Dermott to make room on the left side. They could start as the 3rd pairing LHD and the #7 defenseman. I think they're in line before Liljegren and they'll fill the rest of the D with new defenders by FA or trade.

Lehtonen is probably the best D in the KHL, Barabanov wasn't like that as a forward. But, provides the chance of a good bottom-6 energy player. I think he starts in the AHL and he should be used quite a bit throughout the season with the Leafs. All these players should see lots of time, except Robertson.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Will they even have a 23 man roster? I thought they might go with a 21-22 man roster because of how tight the cap is.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
In order:
1) Lehtonen - 90%
2) Barabanov - 90%
3) Robertson - 80%
4) Sandin - 60%
5) NHL ready prospect acquired through trade - 45%
6) Liljegren - 40%

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Depends on the age of the rookie. More comfortable with a slightly older free agent than a kid right out of juniors. But definitely no more than 3 on any given night.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Why are people talking like barabanov is more likely to make it on the team than not? We haven't even seen this guy play. I think it's highly likely he doesn't make it, and honestly given how many UFA and trade options should be out there this summer, if he does that's entirely likely a very disappointing result for us.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Why are people talking like barabanov is more likely to make it on the team than not? We haven't even seen this guy play. I think it's highly likely he doesn't make it, and honestly given how many UFA and trade options should be out there this summer, if he does that's entirely likely a very disappointing result for us.
Well, he outscored Mikheyev in Mikheyev's final KHL season, so I don't necessarily understand this comment.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Well, he outscored Mikheyev in Mikheyev's final KHL season, so I don't necessarily understand this comment.

I'm just saying, we have no idea yet how his game will translate to North America and Mikheyev hasn't exactly lit the world on fire since he arrived himself. And not to say you're suggesting it is, but it's not all about scoring. With all the guys who should be available, it feels to me like we can probably find someone with more of a track record, nhl experience and someone who provides maybe a different element to our top 9 via trade or UFA instead of rolling the dice on this guy maybe being capable of playing that role. I'm just saying people essentially penciling him in seems wildly premature.

I mean, he doesn't seem from what I've read to be at all what we want for the 4th mostly likely, so the way I see it he's competing for 1 very specific spot in our lineup, maybe 2 if he can play his offwing and we trade johnsson...

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Depends on the age of the rookie. More comfortable with a slightly older free agent than a kid right out of juniors. But definitely no more than 3 on any given night.

Lehtonen & Barabanov are both 26 and qualify as age 27 UFAs after this upcoming season and 1 year contracts.

Lehtonen is older than Morgan Reilly who has already played 7 NHL seasons and Barabanov will be among our oldest forwards based on the current roster.

As per NHL rules these players are too old to qualify as rookies and Calder candidates so they're really NHL rookies based on inexperience and not age.

So I would tend to agree that these players for example shouldn't be in the same conversation as Nic Robertson nor really be considered "rookies" and moreso European veterans.

Last edited:

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Lehtonen & Barabanov are both 26 and qualify as age 27 UFAs after this upcoming season and 1 year contracts.

Lehtonen is older than Morgan Reilly who has already played 7 NHL seasons and Barabanov will be among our oldest forwards based on the current roster.

As per NHL rules these players are too old to qualify as rookies and Calder candidates so they're really NHL rookies based on inexperience and not age.

So I would tend to agree that these players for example shouldn't be in the same conversation as Nic Robertson nor really be considered "rookies" and moreso European veterans.
You're incorrect on the rookie front. Calder candidates can't be OLDER than 26 at the start of the season. Both turned 26 this year and therefore qualify as rookies.

Yes they are KHL vets but they can still win the Calder. I'd expect both to make the team and contribute given the Soupy comparable and high demand for both.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I wouldn't exactly call lehtonen and barabanov rookies in the traditional sense. Yes, rookies in the nhl, but not to high level professional hockey. I think a team can get away with 3-4 rookies if the proper veteran depth is surrounding them without much issue.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
More rookies than unrestricted free agent over the hill torn ACL slowpoke pylons that Leafs Nation has Presidents Choice Memories When They Were Good Before All That Surgery veterans

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad