How many points would a prime Mario Lemieux put up in today’s NHL?

How many points would a prime Mario Lemieux put up in today’s NHL?

• Less than 80

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 80-100

Votes: 8 1.6%
  • 100-120

Votes: 13 2.7%
  • 120-140

Votes: 35 7.2%
  • 140-160

Votes: 100 20.4%
  • 160-180

Votes: 141 28.8%
  • 180-200

Votes: 87 17.8%
  • 200-250

Votes: 35 7.2%
  • 250-300

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 300-400

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 400-500

Votes: 54 11.0%

• Total voters

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Today's NHL with this scoring, I'd say he would be close to 180p, but 200 would be possible since the current rules might benefit him. Tough to say.

When on earth did he "shred" prime Gretzky?

Ah, I see, I guess we have a bit different definitions for prime.
So by your definition. (Both Wayne and Connor are born in January). McDavid won't be in his prime starting next season? He will be 27-28 during said season the same as when Wayne was beat by 31 by Mario.

It's always comical. Only Gretzky fans have the idea that a 27-28 year old Gretzky was not in his prime lol

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We're talking about a guy who shredded prime Gretzky by 31 points and prime jagr by 12 points in 12 less gp
Prime Gretzky was the early to mid 80's.

The most ridiculous aspect of the Lemieux vs Gretzky discussions is the notion that their primes overlapped. Lemieux played an NHL season 7 years after Gretzky retired and 27 years after Gretzky debuted. They're not contemporaries in terms of the eras they dominated.

In McDavid's prime, which I'm assuming is now, he's averaging about 142 points the last three years. I think that's fair because that one year, we had a pandemic.

By my calculations, "30 to 40 points more" is at least 172. Lemieux did that once. He came code to that basically twice. And we're not talking about shortened seasons, we're talking about 17 seasons where that's what he scored.

Are we assuming that the same Mario Lemieux stops getting injured in this scenario? If so, that seems like an awful lot of speculation.

The poll isn't asking what his PPG would be, the poll is asking very simply how many points he would score.
So by your definition. (Both Wayne and Connor are born in January). McDavid won't be in his prime starting next season? He will be 27-28 during said season the same as when Wayne was beat by 31 by Mario.

It's always comical. Only Gretzky fans have the idea that a 27-28 year old Gretzky was not in his prime lol
Your prime isn't age lol, your prime is when you're good.

Nick Lidstrom's entire prime was in his 30's.

Last edited:

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Prime Gretzky was the early to mid 80's.

The most ridiculous aspect of the Lemieux vs Gretzky discussions is the notion that their primes overlapped. Lemieux played an NHL season 7 years after Gretzky retired and 27 years after Gretzky debuted. They're not contemporaries in terms of the eras they dominated.

In McDavid's prime, which I'm assuming is now, he's averaging about 142 points the last three years. I think that's fair because that one year, we had a pandemic.

By my calculations, "30 to 40 points more" is at least 172. Lemieux did that once. He came code to that basically twice. And we're not talking about shortened seasons, we're talking about 17 seasons where that's what he scored.

Are we assuming that the same Mario Lemieux stops getting injured in this scenario? If so, that seems like an awful lot of speculation.

The poll isn't asking what his PPG would be, the poll is asking very simply how many points he would score.

Your prime isn't age lol, your prime is when you're good.

Nick Lidstrom's entire prime was in his 30's.

All valid points but, as others have pointed out, I could see Mario actually scoring more points per minute in todays less physical NHL. Ultimately it probably would come down to number of PPs and how well his unit clicks, he is after all the best PP player of all time.

Between 180 and 210 would be my guess for absolute peak but it's all just speculation of course, duh.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
All valid points but, as others have pointed out, I could see Mario actually scoring more points per minute in todays less physical NHL. Ultimately it probably would come down to number of PPs and how well his unit clicks, he is after all the best PP player of all time.

Between 180 and 210 would be my guess for absolute peak but it's all just speculation of course, duh.
As much as the game was more physical back then, Lemieux's entire prime coincides with the highest scoring NHL in history.

There's no reason to think he'd score more now. Nobody does.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
As much as the game was more physical back then, Lemieux's entire prime coincides with the highest scoring NHL in history.

There's no reason to think he'd score more now. Nobody does.

Well there are certain things that's better now. Medicine for one, maybe he would train harder and be less injured, could also not be sitting out as many years due to him not agreeing with how the league didn't protect it stars and that may result in better performance, or it might be the opposite no way telling for sure.

I truly believe he would be around the same ppg or well point per minute(as evident by him keeping up in the early 2000s despite time off the game and aging). Would he hit 200? Impossible to say but I certainly wouldn't rule it out, that would be like McDavid last season but add a goal/assist every second game or so. Far from impossible.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
According to NHL 24, prime Mario Lemieux would be getting outscored by Mats Zuccarello and Mika Zibanejad. Gretzky and Howe too for that matter

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
One thing that doesn't get brought up is why did the defenders hook and hold Lemieux so much.
They hooked and held him because they weren't good skaters. The league was filled with traffic cones before the 2005 lockout.

If Lemieux played today, he'd face less physicality, but much faster defensemen. I don't know which one outweighs the other, so I'd say he'd be in the McDavid tier roughly.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
One thing that doesn't get brought up is why did the defenders hook and hold Lemieux so much.
They hooked and held him because they weren't good skaters. The league was filled with traffic cones before the 2005 lockout.

If Lemieux played today, he'd face less physicality, but much faster defensemen. I don't know which one outweighs the other, so I'd say he'd be in the McDavid tier roughly.

Great point.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

Quit pretending prime is based on age. It's based on when a player is at or near his best.

Dany Heatley was washed up at the age Tim Thomas entered his prime for example.

Reactions: WalterLundy

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Quit pretending prime is based on age. It's based on when a player is at or near his best.

Dany Heatley was washed up at the age Tim Thomas entered his prime for example.
Only difference is Gretzky had just scored 43 points in 19 playoff games winning the con smythe. Then came the the 88-89 season. Seems pretty damn prime to me

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Only difference is Gretzky had just scored 43 points in 19 playoff games winning the con smythe. Then came the the 88-89 season. Seems pretty damn prime to me

There’s extended prime where someone is still 80-90 percent of their best and then there’s peak prime though where they’re at their best. Crosby was still in his prime when Benn won the Art Ross for example (also at 27), but that’s a lot different than if he had beat Crosby only a year before that.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Mario Lemieux was on another level than McDavid. A healthy Lemieux in this era with obstruction and hooking routinely called and he's 50-60 points better at least. That sounds crazy if you've never seen Lemieux play but dead on if you have.

My Best-Carey

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA

This really is a good point. Just was at the Penguins vs Sabres game (and I watch hockey religiously) and I can tell that this game is pretty significantly more advanced than the Gretzky era and Lemieux’s prime too. It’s way better than the DPE and even better than some post lockout hockey. The closing speed is significantly faster, far less time and space, defensive structure and strategy is more advanced, goalie positioning and equipment is far better and everyone can skate at an elite level.

A lot of that is due to training, better equipment and modern advancements so it doesn’t make a 2nd liner now better than a 2nd liner then in a vacuum but in order for that 80s/90s guy to keep up he would have to grow up now or need significant time to adapt. Yes there wouldn’t be hooking and holding but even if WG and ML grew up now they wouldn’t be at a skating level that would far exceed their contemporaries of superstardom in the league now. The skill and IQ would translate but the league has changed to a point that there just isn’t enough time or space to make these gaudy numbers a possibility.

The Powerplays also aren’t what they used to be in terms of volume so that would ding the totals. The ice time would be reduced for the stars of the past in todays game and they’d be asked to play hard defense. I think a lot of us (justifiably so) get caught up in what adjustments for scoring environments whether league-wide or for the league’s elite can tell us but we also forget that these numbers are really just telling us what they’d be worth in a neutral environment. That doesn’t mean that a 180+ point adjusted season is POSSIBLE now in a near 3 G/GP league in 2023 due to these drastic changes.

I want more than anyone to say Mario could do 180 at his peak now and Gretzky 190 (and I’ll probably always wrestle with this) but I don’t think the adjustments are what they’d actually do.

If Mario Lemieux was born in 1997 and came up now I think that he would be in the 150s for his peak years. Maybe one year of 160. I sincerely believe that 2 PPG or like 165 points is the most that someone can do in todays game. That’s where I see Gretzky’s ‘84. I’m hesitant to say 170 is the cap even and only Gretzky at his peak can do that in my opinion in todays game (even that is a tough sell). We have to remember that without the Oiler powerplay clicking like it did last year McDavid probably doesn’t reach 150. Yes he was pacing for mid 150s in 2021 but that was a very different league circumstance. 2023 proves it but it was almost a perfect storm for him to do it.

Those who say McDavid tier are right in my estimation.
1.8-1.95 PPG is the range I’d say.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Gretzky in 1989 was 100% in his prime - but not in his peak. There's a difference. Mario Lemieux would not have "shredded Gretzky by 31 points" if both were at their peak, it'd be a hell of a lot closer.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Team D and goalies are better today.

However, he would not have to worry about getting mugged regularly.

I think 120-140 on average is about right

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Team D and goalies are better today.

However, he would not have to worry about getting mugged regularly.

I think 120-140 on average is about right

Mario Lemieux's prime was from 1988 to 1996. In that stretch, he played 454 out of a possible 698 team games, so ~53 games a year on average.

I agree with you. He'd average 120-140 points a year on average if he played ~53 games a year in today's era. Paced out to 82 games of course, that is ~180-216 points.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Realistically? 150 regularly.

This ever been proven or just anecdotal rose colored hottakes?

McDavid gets tugged and pulled on all the time without calls.

How many penalties were called per game back then?

Not many penalties were called back then cause Refs allows alot more to happen on the ice tjat today would be considered obstruction.

Additionally, where a guy gets hooked on the hands today is called whereas tnat would not have been called during Mario's time in the league before cancer and back issues slowed him down.

I think he out paces McDavid, but its closer than some would care to admit

Mario Lemieux's prime was from 1988 to 1996. In that stretch, he played 454 out of a possible 698 team games, so ~53 games a year on average.

I agree with you. He'd average 120-140 points a year on average if he played ~53 games a year in today's era. Paced out to 82 games of course, that is ~180-216 points.

Again, defense and goalies today are a lot better which need to be considered

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
Gretzky in 1989 was 100% in his prime - but not in his peak. There's a difference. Mario Lemieux would not have "shredded Gretzky by 31 points" if both were at their peak, it'd be a hell of a lot closer.
True. Peak Mario would’ve been capable of 224/82GP in his best stretch of over 70% of season GP (1988-89/169 PTS in 62 GP). You could also take the 1993 160 in 60 game sample for him. With over 70% of season GP you’d take Mario’s 157 in 58 in 1993 which is a 222/82GP pace. Peak Gretzky had 171 in 57GP in 1983-84. Which is 246/82GP. His second best was 1984-85 where he had 167 in 60 for a 228/82GP pace.

223 average for peak Mario combining 89 and 93
237 average for peak Gretzky combining 84 and 85.

If we use hockey reference’s adjustments (flawed and all but to satiate the desires of many) that comes out to a 182 per 82 average for 89 and 93 Mario and a 190 per 82 average for 84 and 85 Gretzky.

Beyond all that the drive of Gretzky in head to head matchups with him proves that had they been in a situation where they peaked the same year it would have been Gretzky winning the Ross. The desire was there not just the numbers from each player’s respective peak. In any event nobody is getting shredded. Even if there is a clear winner the disparity isn’t massive. That’s the point here. Peak Lemieux being better than a back end prime Gretzky is no less surprising than Gretzky in 86 and 87 having nobody close including Mario.

Reactions: Video Nasty

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
This really is a good point. Just was at the Penguins vs Sabres game (and I watch hockey religiously) and I can tell that this game is pretty significantly more advanced than the Gretzky era and Lemieux’s prime too. It’s way better than the DPE and even better than some post lockout hockey. The closing speed is significantly faster, far less time and space, defensive structure and strategy is more advanced, goalie positioning and equipment is far better and everyone can skate at an elite level.

A lot of that is due to training, better equipment and modern advancements so it doesn’t make a 2nd liner now better than a 2nd liner then in a vacuum but in order for that 80s/90s guy to keep up he would have to grow up now or need significant time to adapt. Yes there wouldn’t be hooking and holding but even if WG and ML grew up now they wouldn’t be at a skating level that would far exceed their contemporaries of superstardom in the league now. The skill and IQ would translate but the league has changed to a point that there just isn’t enough time or space to make these gaudy numbers a possibility.

The Powerplays also aren’t what they used to be in terms of volume so that would ding the totals. The ice time would be reduced for the stars of the past in todays game and they’d be asked to play hard defense. I think a lot of us (justifiably so) get caught up in what adjustments for scoring environments whether league-wide or for the league’s elite can tell us but we also forget that these numbers are really just telling us what they’d be worth in a neutral environment. That doesn’t mean that a 180+ point adjusted season is POSSIBLE now in a near 3 G/GP league in 2023 due to these drastic changes.

I want more than anyone to say Mario could do 180 at his peak now and Gretzky 190 (and I’ll probably always wrestle with this) but I don’t think the adjustments are what they’d actually do.

If Mario Lemieux was born in 1997 and came up now I think that he would be in the 150s for his peak years. Maybe one year of 160. I sincerely believe that 2 PPG or like 165 points is the most that someone can do in todays game. That’s where I see Gretzky’s ‘84. I’m hesitant to say 170 is the cap even and only Gretzky at his peak can do that in my opinion in todays game (even that is a tough sell). We have to remember that without the Oiler powerplay clicking like it did last year McDavid probably doesn’t reach 150. Yes he was pacing for mid 150s in 2021 but that was a very different league circumstance. 2023 proves it but it was almost a perfect storm for him to do it.

Those who say McDavid tier are right in my estimation.
1.8-1.95 PPG is the range I’d say.

Agree on all accounts. Another way I look at this is by observing McDavid in different areas of the game.

It’s very difficult for me to imagine a more physically gifted player than 2023 McDavid.

Fastest player with the puck on his stick at any given time, incredible vision and hockey IQ, and a super accurate shot.

How could McDavid possibly become even better?
- Crosby’s hand eye coordination?
- Ovechkin’s slap shot?
- Bergeron/Datsyuk defending abilities?

You could give him all of the above, but that would be unmatched in history. It’s like creating a perfect player in NHL 24 with 99 ratings in each attribute.

Lemieux and Gretzky both had attributes that McDavid doesn’t have (size for Lemieux, exceptional spatial awareness for Gretzky). On the other hand, McDavid possesses things that they didn’t have.

If McDavid is near the max or at the max of what is physically possible today, then I’d say Lemieux is right around that too.

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
Agree on all accounts. Another way I look at this is by observing McDavid in different areas of the game.

It’s very difficult for me to imagine a more physically gifted player than 2023 McDavid.

Fastest player with the puck on his stick at any given time, incredible vision and hockey IQ, and a super accurate shot.

How could McDavid possibly become even better?
- Crosby’s hand eye coordination?
- Ovechkin’s slap shot?
- Bergeron/Datsyuk defending abilities?

You could give him all of the above, but that would be unmatched in history. It’s like creating a perfect player in NHL 24 with 99 ratings in each attribute.

Lemieux and Gretzky both had attributes that McDavid doesn’t have (size for Lemieux, exceptional spatial awareness for Gretzky). On the other hand, McDavid possesses things that they didn’t have.

If McDavid is near the max or at the max of what is physically possible today, then I’d say Lemieux is right around that too.
I completely agree. If you approach it from that angle you are left with the same result. That’s telling as well that we are looking at what happened last year as something that can only be matched by the second best offensive forward ever and marginally surpassed by the best version of Wayne Gretzky. That shows you the company that peak McDavid is in. I’ve seen the kid 4 times live and he has 12 points in those games. I watched last year every chance I could and have fully admitted he’s surpassed everyone else I’ve seen play including Crosby who I’m a very big fan of.

Even looking at past threads from a a few years ago projecting what Gretzky and Lemieux would put up it was always that 150 range. He’s entered that tier. Most of the penguins fanbase (and others but I can speak on the one I’m a part of) hate McDavid because of the Crosby insecurity. Just to confirm the suspicions. Outside of team awards that debate is over as far as I or any other unbiased/rational fan is concerned. Very similar to the Lemieux stuff you see with penguin fans when it pertains to Gretzky. Accepting reality is freeing and it’s way better in terms of just enjoying all of the greats for what they are and where they rank. But I can’t agree more with you here.

Last edited:

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Whenever I mention the 88-89 scoring race I never say Gretzky was peak. I always say prime and the gretzians always get defensive and try to tell me the consensus goat player Was not in his prime in a season he played 48 of 78 games at 27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad