How many of you guys watched or enjoyed the Royal Wedding?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
NOthing personal against Harry and Megan, they seem cool....but I absolutely DETEST the existence of monarchy in a supposed democratic country. And the fact that they still have their wealth and high status and influence is absolutely disgusting.

I can't agree (then again, I'm not in the Commonwealth), but I did get a pretty good laugh out of Harry having to say, "for richer or poorer." I'm pretty sure that they're never going to have to even worry about the potential of being poor or anywhere even close. Then again, there are people who will never be close to rich in their life who have to say it, too, so maybe it evens out.

Sep 19, 2008
Saw a few minutes of the ceremony

Saw a few minutes of them riding the carriage away

Got bored and turned something else on

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Shucks...Missed it...completely. My sister sent me a complete photoshoot of the event from the Daily Mail. I think I'm all caught up now. Thanks.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That is exactly my question too.
:laugh:

Why do I need to watch a wedding I am not invited to?
:dunno:
I mean... live streaming isn't some fancy exclusive thing that's reserved for urgent global events that demand to be seen by everyone. People probably live stream regular weddings these days.

It's dumb and I have no use for it, but I don't see why it would be surprising considering how much people like to pay attention to glamorous lifestyles in general.

--

In general, I find it kind of strange how people seem to be reacting to this like it's some outrageous thing. I don't see how it's any different from the inescapable celebrity-obsessed culture that we've been dealing with for decades now. The royal family as a whole is just another giant reality show to ignore. It actually bothers me less than usual, because at least the people that the spotlight is on don't immediately strike me as complete tools that make me weep for humanity. :laugh:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I mean... live streaming isn't some fancy exclusive thing that's reserved for urgent global events that demand to be seen by everyone. People probably live stream regular weddings these days.

It's dumb and I have no use for it, but I don't see why it would be surprising considering how much people like to pay attention to glamorous lifestyles in general.

--

In general, I find it kind of strange how people seem to be reacting to this like it's some outrageous thing. I don't see how it's any different from the inescapable celebrity-obsessed culture that we've been dealing with for decades now. The royal family as a whole is just another giant reality show to ignore. It actually bothers me less than usual, because at least the people that the spotlight is on don't immediately strike me as complete tools that make me weep for humanity. :laugh:

I only responded because the question is asked. Otherwise, I would have stay quiet, because I do not care either way. While I am confused why the thing needs to be live streamed, because a president's national address, or even the FIFA world cup final, would have been a better use of resources, my statement is more rhetorical in nature. I did not truly need an answer.
:laugh:

Some people love it; others hate it. It is the same with everything else. There is no reason behind it; it is just life. I do not think there needs to be any profound revelation to be had here, and everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I think they're savvy enough to read the terrain of public opinion with respect to hereditary monarchies in the 21st century.
There's that, plus, Harry's not going to be king. His children will be well down the line of succession. There's much less of an issue letting the #6 in line marry whomever he desires, as opposed to the #2 or #1 in line. If it had been Will expressing a desire to marry an American... who knows.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I recorded it and skipped around some, but I watched and enjoyed it. It was most certainly different than any other royal wedding that I've ever seen or has ever occurred. It was surreal. It wasn't just the fact that a half-black American was marrying into the royal family, but also that American, Protestant, gospel signing and preaching was occurring in a centuries old, English, Catholic cathedral. At many times, it felt more like an American ceremony than an English one, especially a royal one.

I'm actually pretty impressed that the royal family was OK with it being more of an American Protestant ceremony than one typical of royal weddings. I would've expected less freedom given to Miss Markle in her planning, because of tradition and all that jazz, but I guess that the royal family is less stubborn about such things in 2018. The last time that a royal wanted to wed an American divorcee, he had to give up his titles and claim to the throne and move to America to live with her in peace. Now, the royal family not only permits it, but lets her have her pick of historic, Royal-owned cathedrals and do just about anything that she wants with the ceremony if it makes their baby prince happy. I find it fascinating and nice to see.
The Royals are Protestant. They just don’t go along with the spartan portion of their faith. You should check out the old church in Edinburgh castle that was used by our monarchy. It’s smaller than my living room.

My wife watched it, which I suspect was just a ruse to get me to go outside and do some gardening.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The Royals are Protestant. They just don’t go along with the spartan portion of their faith. You should check out the old church in Edinburgh castle that was used by our monarchy. It’s smaller than my living room.

My wife watched it, which I suspect was just a ruse to get me to go outside and do some gardening.

Thanks for the correction. I knew that, because of all of the British and religious history that I've studied, but wasn't thinking when I wrote that. I find it easy to forget that Anglicans aren't Catholic when they can look very Catholic from the outside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad