How many of you guys watched or enjoyed the Royal Wedding?

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Caught bits & pieces when passing by a TV, etc... didn't actually sit down to watch any of it.

Jan 3, 2012
Obviously not. I can barely pay attention at boring wedding ceremonies when I know the people. You think I'm going to spend 6 hours watching some dude who won the genetic lottery get married to the chick he picked out of, literally every single woman on the planet?

Nah.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I recorded it and skipped around some, but I watched and enjoyed it. It was most certainly different than any other royal wedding that I've ever seen or has ever occurred. It was surreal. It wasn't just the fact that a half-black American was marrying into the royal family, but also that American, Protestant, gospel signing and preaching was occurring in a centuries old, English, Catholic cathedral. At many times, it felt more like an American ceremony than an English one, especially a royal one.

I'm actually pretty impressed that the royal family was OK with it being more of an American Protestant ceremony than one typical of royal weddings. I would've expected less freedom given to Miss Markle in her planning, because of tradition and all that jazz, but I guess that the royal family is less stubborn about such things in 2018. The last time that a royal wanted to wed an American divorcee, he had to give up his titles and claim to the throne and move to America to live with her in peace. Now, the royal family not only permits it, but lets her have her pick of historic, Royal-owned cathedrals and do just about anything that she wants with the ceremony if it makes their baby prince happy. I find it fascinating and nice to see.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Now, the royal family not only permits it, but lets her have her pick of historic, Royal-owned cathedrals and do just about anything that she wants with the ceremony if it makes their baby prince happy. I find it fascinating and nice to see.

I think they're savvy enough to read the terrain of public opinion with respect to hereditary monarchies in the 21st century.

This wedding was as much about showing a more modern Windsor family as it was about Harry and Meghan.

Reactions: Amerika

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think they're savvy enough to read the terrain of public opinion with respect to hereditary monarchies in the 21st century.

This wedding was as much about showing a more modern Windsor family as it was about Harry and Meghan.

That definitely was the case. I just imagine that they could've still largely accomplished that without giving in as much as they did, so the fact that they did was still a bit surprising.

I was enthralled by watching some paint dry and I just couldn't manage to pull myself away.

Which foreign film was it this time? j/k

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That definitely was the case. I just imagine that they could've still largely accomplished that without giving in as much as they did, so the fact that they did was still a bit surprising.

I still expected Prince Philip to drop a massive N-bomb in the midst of a bout of dementia.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ridiculous that in this day and age we still have such a thing as royalty and worse that people would care about their weddings. How the French ended their monarchy should have been an example for all others.

e-kardashians-intro-1519659005.jpg

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
In the U.S., if a couple getting married shut down an entire city and got non-stop coverage from all the major media outlets, we would find that really obnoxious and hope that marriage eventually failed.

But that all happened in the UK. Easy enough for most Americans to ignore if they wanted. Plus it happened early in the morning on a Saturday. Most of us were still sleeping even on the east coast.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
NOthing personal against Harry and Megan, they seem cool....but I absolutely DETEST the existence of monarchy in a supposed democratic country. And the fact that they still have their wealth and high status and influence is absolutely disgusting.

I'd rather we paid no attention to them at all. But the media refuses not to and the media or whoever controls it sets society's narrative so....

Reactions: Neutrinos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->