Speculation: How many Isles have played their last game in this sweater?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
why does everyone seem to think we can move Grabs and Cool Lemon?

In regards to Grabovski, he may have played his last game simply because he can't play anymore. He also has the potential to be bought out and/or traded to a team looking for some fake salary to reach the floor (like we did with the Tim Thomas trade).

Don't think Kulemin is going anywhere.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I can't understand why so many people want to move Jaroslav Halak. Are you guys so sure that Thomas Greiss, a 10 year backup, will continue this year's level of play and not regress to his career numbers?

At best Greiss will be about on a level as Halak is at his best. At worst Greiss will be the goaltender we saw in the last 2 weeks of the season. I'm not willing to put next year on Greiss and Berube.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Okposo will be gone. Some stupid team with money to burn (Colorado, Buffalo, etc.) is going to give him over $6M per.

Would like to see both Nielsen and Martin come back.

Hamonic will likely be an Oiler (sorry) or Jet come draft day.

Grabo needs to retire for his own good. Zid is just old at this point.

Strait, Bernier, and Boulton can all go in the recycling bin.

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
How about some offseason predictions? *Not necessarily what I'm hoping for but what I believe to be realistic outcomes.

Kyle Okposo 5 years 32 million
Frans Nielsen 5 years 27 million (going to say its with the Islanders)
Matt Martin 4 years 11 million

Travis Hamonic for Torey Krug

Backes, Ladd, Brouwer, McGinn and Lucic as UFA Targets

KO could get 32 million and go buy several bazillion cartons of cigarettes to smoke with Phaneuf for all I care. If he doesn't take a team friendly deal, trade him for considerations at the draft:laugh:.

I'd sign Martin in a heartbeat, don't think he wants to leave, and you'd be hard-pressed to find another Matt Martin out there.

I'd give Nielsen another shot, he's earned it and steps up when needed.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Martin and Nielsen need to be re signed. Trust me when I say those two are very hard to replace. Okposo can go if he's asking for a lot, no doubt. I think, if Hammer still wants out, we should package Nelson with him because nothing this guy does tells me he has "it". Strome has potential and we'd be stupid to give up on him now.

Open to trading Bailey. I think Grabo and Kule should stay, contrary to popular opinion.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
I think KO, grabo, and Kule will be gone ...really hope we do what we have to do to retain marts/ Nielsen ... I don't think any of the kids ( strome, Nelson ) will be dumped because of their age, I think management give them time to figure it out ... I think a gritty experienced veteran could really help this team even if we have overpay (backes) ...I was hoping Boychuk would lead as that veteran but like many people have stated he might have a shoulder problem .... still stings being on the outside looking in though... then again if we have to add one of the kids with hammer for duchene we go ahead and do it !

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Okposo will get more term. 6 years x 6.5M (not from us)
Frans looks about right. I'll guess he'll take a little less. Something like 5x5
That looks like way too much for Martin. 2.75M AAV??

Brandon Prust got 2.5 AAV over 4 years in 2012. Again, my bold prediction for the offseason is that Matt Martin is going to get drastically overpaid. There are a lot of poorly managed teams out there who overreact in July when they strike out on certain players.

Fist of Gillies

Apr 9, 2007
And thus ends what Chris Botta relentlessly dubbed "the slow and steady rebuild".

Here's hoping that new ownership prefers "a fast and dynamic retooling."

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Brandon Prust got 2.5 AAV over 4 years in 2012. Again, my bold prediction for the offseason is that Matt Martin is going to get drastically overpaid. There are a lot of poorly managed teams out there who overreact in July when they strike out on certain players.

Agree, but I still blame Snow. He painted himself into a corner with Martin and Frans. If he wanted to keep them he should have signed them going into the season before they put their bodies on the line. I'm sure both will be more expensive now and I wouldn't be surprised if they lose both. I think Snow assumed he could bank on the growth of Strome/Nelson/Lee to make these guys seem expendable. OOPS

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I voted ...
Okposo who is a ufa.
Mayfield who is out of waiver options. Pelech/Pulock have looked better this season.
And Bailey , who I think gets pushed out by cheaper kids Prince/Quine.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
I think Minny buys out Vanek and sign KO
Martin stays for $2M or leaves and gets 2.5M
Frans stays 5x5

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I think Minny buys out Vanek and sign KO
Martin stays for $2M or leaves and gets 2.5M
Frans stays 5x5

Never, would not help them much anyway because they have other issues with regards to other players. I think Minny is out as far as an option.

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
Martin is too invested in LI to leave for anywhere else.

I also believe that there's enough bad blood between him and the Rags for him to be in blue next year.

Same with CC and Cal (if they ever leave, it won't be to go to NYR).

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Stunned to see the votes for Halak here. The Tampa series proved, at least to me, that Halak is still our starting goaltender. Griess proved that he is very good, he was impressive in the playoffs, and that's what you need in a backup. Unless we are upgrading from Halak as a #1, he needs to be back. I don't think this is the off-season we look to do that.

I also have a strong gut feeling Hammer is back, but maybe it is just wishful thinking.

It's not what people think will happen, for some odd reason they want it to happen.

Berube/Greiss...LOL.

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie
I am really hoping we resign Nielsen and Martin and if we don't resign KO, then we hopefully sign Stamkos, Eriksson, Lucic or Backes, but I definitely want Martin back, as he has the heart and soul that we don't have enough of and I would absolutely hate the Rangers signing him. We have too many guys like Grabo, Kuli, Bailey,Strome and Nelson who play a soft style, so we need to get more team speed and grittiness, but I'm sure every team will be looking for the same. It should be an interesting off season, but its started off well will Hamonic rescinding his trade request :yo:

Last edited:

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
"I loved every second of it" - That's a perfectly normal thing to say. It is in no way indicative of him putting his Islander years behind him. The Islanders will pay him.

That's not quite what he said. He said "I've been here for seven years now, I think, and I've loved every second of it."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad