Speculation: How many Isles have played their last game in this sweater?

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I think Okposo and Halak are gone. I'm 50/50 on Martin and Hamonic (it's up to them if they want to stay). I can't imagine Frans leaving as I believe he wants to stay and the feeling is mutual.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
I have Okposo, Strait, and Grabovski.

I think Hamonic and Martin return. I also think they will re-sign Frans Nielsen.

Almost anyone can be traded. Though, I would definitely look to trade Brock Nelson because next year he is a free agent again, and he proved not to be worth the anxiety of signing him last summer.

I do see good things for this team though. Their prospect pool is good up front, and I think that Barzal, Beaulivier, and Ho-Sang will be talented and personable guys that this team needs.

JHS, don't for get to set your alarms!

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I think Okposo and Halak are gone. I'm 50/50 on Martin and Hamonic (it's up to them if they want to stay). I can't imagine Frans leaving as I believe he wants to stay and the feeling is mutual.

We'd be nuts to dump Halak. Greiss is not a starting goalie over an 82 game season

Clutcherbuck

Feb 28, 2007
Albany, NY
Stunned to see the votes for Halak here. The Tampa series proved, at least to me, that Halak is still our starting goaltender. Griess proved that he is very good, he was impressive in the playoffs, and that's what you need in a backup. Unless we are upgrading from Halak as a #1, he needs to be back. I don't think this is the off-season we look to do that.

I also have a strong gut feeling Hammer is back, but maybe it is just wishful thinking.

ledzep1212

COYB
Apr 5, 2007
Lindenhurst
Okposo, Martin, Grabo, Kulemin, Zid, Strait, and Berube. I personally think the Hamonic situation is over and he is staying. Outside hopeful this is how it goes outside of Okposo. Having Greiss be the starter next year would be a huge mistake.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I think KO ends up in Buffalo...

Frans ends up in Florida

Martin ends up with Rangers

Hamonic gets dealt to Vancouver in a bad deal for Hamhuis

Zid, Strait, Boulton, Bernier are gone for sure

Team will not make the playoffs for another 2 more years

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
KO ain't going to Buffalo. I think he's only going to a team that can win. Frans is staying for sure and Martin to the Rangers I think is possible. It's the only place he's going to if you ask me other than here.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
KO ain't going to Buffalo. I think he's only going to a team that can win. Frans is staying for sure and Martin to the Rangers I think is possible. It's the only place he's going to if you ask me other than here.

I think Buffalo wins a cup before we do LOL... KO is not a winning type of player anyway, he vanishes at times,

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Have to remember who I clicked on lol. I believe there will be a massive turnover. Here are my thoughts on who goes and where they wind up:

Hamoni- gets his wish and goes to Winnepeg
Okposo - gone to other side of Hudson to NJD or maybe Toronto, Montreal or Boston
Bernier - starter at public golf course somewhere warm
Nelson - I do think he will be a goner. Crappy player with a decent shot
Brian Strait - our new D-coach :sarcasm: (Winds up as depth guy on Devils)
Boulton - starts MMA career
Halak - back in the USSR (but seriously...will be packaged somewhere)
Grabovski - I think me may be done
Martin - Rangers, as many others think

Some maybe's:
Strome
Kulimen
Bailey
Nielson 50/50 at best retained I think. I could see Frans in Detroit. Their kind of player

Other than Tavares, I think anyone on this roster could be moved. I think the personality of the team needs to be altered.

Snow and Capuano stay. I think both should go. Maybe we get lucky and new ownership sees that it needs a big shakeup and new commitment. Time to reboot. The way this team is constructed and managed not good enough.

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
The Bye, Bye List

The only team foolish enough with cap space to give KO a 7 year, $50.0 million contract are the Maple Laughs. KO is solid, but still a bit inconsistent for long stretches at a time to be getting serious goal scorer $$$$. I see Frans staying at 5 year $22.5 to $25.0 million contract from the Isles. As for MM, I would give him the years, but not serious 2nd line $$$, let the Ranger$ eat $4.0 or $5.0 million of cap space on a 4th line who might score 10 goals in a good year.

As for the rest of the RFA, no great loss, especially Brian "The Warrior" Strait. There is no reason the keep The Warrior around, not even on a two-way 8th or 9th d-man. No playoff team should ever play such a mediocre d-man with a low skill-set as The Warrior for 52 game as Capuano did this year.

As for the Coaching staff. despite 3 playoffs and two 100 points seasons, Jack Capuano and Doug Weight still underwhelm me. Other than the Ranger$ games, this never looked as dominate or as sharp as they did for most of last year.

If KO, Frans, MM and Hamonic are gone, maybe a coaching change wouldn't be a bad time to re-set this team.

But the Number 1 off-season priority for the Isles is to lock-up John Tavares long term so we never have to listen to the clowns up in Toronto Maple Laugh Nation with their less-than-subtle scheming to steal JT.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Okposo, Hamonic, Halak, Grabovski, Zidlicky, Strait, Boulton, Bernier

Think they sign Nielsen and Martin stays although I'm sure he can get a better contract elsewhere

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I said the plugs (Boulton, Bernier, Zid, Strait) and Okposo.

Martin going to the Rags would just be salt in the wounds.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I sure hope Nelson and DeHaan if we can get anything for him. Most overrated player on HF Isles for 3 years now. It's time to re-tool, integrate the next wave of "maybes" into the line up, make 1 (preferably 2) SOLID UFA signings and keep trekking.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
How about some offseason predictions? *Not necessarily what I'm hoping for but what I believe to be realistic outcomes.

Kyle Okposo 5 years 32 million
Frans Nielsen 5 years 27 million (going to say its with the Islanders)
Matt Martin 4 years 11 million

Travis Hamonic for Torey Krug

Backes, Ladd, Brouwer, McGinn and Lucic as UFA Targets

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
How about some offseason predictions? *Not necessarily what I'm hoping for but what I believe to be realistic outcomes.

I think you are right.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight

Travis Hamonic for Torey Krug

Backes, Ladd, Brouwer, McGinn and Lucic as UFA Targets

Okposo will get more term. 6 years x 6.5M (not from us)
Frans looks about right. I'll guess he'll take a little less. Something like 5x5
That looks like way too much for Martin. 2.75M AAV??

Hamonic for Krug would shock me. Doesn't help his request at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad