How many cups do the Johnny-Matty era Leafs win?

How many cups do the Johnny/Matty era Leafs win?

• 3+

Results are only viewable after voting.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The lazy analysis of using GA and only GA to determine the strength of a defense is getting tiresome. The Leafs D was also bottom third in pretty much every shots against/scoring chance against metric as well.

Having to rely on 1st star performances by your goalie to cover up shortcomings for your defense results in what happened in the playoffs when the defense kept leaking shots against/scoring chances against, but Andersen's play didn't cover for it.

A lot of the times though, being in the bottom 3rd or something for a lot of those stats is still very close to the middle of the pack or upper 3rd.

Washington for example wasn't good if you look at the metrics for scoring chances against, or shots allowed compared to shots taken.

But hey, they won the Stanley Cup.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
My basic point when I talked about experience for Defense is if the leafs plan on winning with a top 4 of:

Morgan Rielly
Travis Dermott
Timothy Liljegren
Rasmus Sandin

That is at least 5 years away from winning a cup if everything works out perfect. Now they of coarse can make a trade(s) before 5 years that can change the fortunes of their defense(experience) but till the defense is addressed the Leafs are pretenders and not contenders. My 2 cents for the leafs is when the opportunity arises to get a legit top pairing defenseman they need to pound all over it(even if it means losing Nylander or Marner)

wait wait...so liljegren needs to be draft + 7 and sandin draft +6
just admit you were wrong and move on. the number of 19-20 year old dman stepping in now is increasing.

Dermott, a 2nd rd pick was already one of the leafs best D in his draft + 4.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Well yeah, everyone on here will be dead by then.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
A lot of the times though, being in the bottom 3rd or something for a lot of those stats is still very close to the middle of the pack or upper 3rd.

Washington for example wasn't good if you look at the metrics for scoring chances against, or shots allowed compared to shots taken.

But hey, they won the Stanley Cup.

The difference is Washington improved in the playoffs. Their various shot metrics went from bottom third in the regular season to between middle of the pack and top third in the playoffs. Not to mention Holtby was a beast and covered for the times they did give up chances.

Toronto, meanwhile, continued to leak shots/chances against in the playoffs. They didn't tighten up any and Andersen stopped bailing them out (except for two games he stole).

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The difference is Washington improved in the playoffs. Their various shot metrics went from bottom third in the regular season to between middle of the pack and top third in the playoffs. Not to mention Holtby was a beast and covered for the times they did give up chances.

Toronto, meanwhile, continued to leak shots/chances against in the playoffs. They didn't tighten up any and Andersen stopped bailing them out (except for two games he stole).
Toronto had the 2nd worst starting goalie of the first round, but all the blame you want to place on Andersen is that he only stole two games. Absolutely hilarious how clear your agenda is. When he's dead on his career average in the regular season, it's the Leafs defense relying on his star performances to keep pucks out. When he's absolutely terrible in the playoffs, it's still the Leafs defense that's to blame because they didn't tighten up enough for him

HoBOonFiRE

Nov 8, 2009
Oshawa
I feel a lot of the leafs shot metrics against were partially due to the fact they got out to an early lead in games so often. If they can learn to not sit back and continue to drive the offense even when ahead they will improve those metrics..kind of like how they improved on blowing leads from the year before.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

one for every year of the Tavares contract,5 grace years afterwards,and all the cups that have been awarded prior to this year will be given to the Leafs retroactively

Reactions: dukeofjive

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Toronto had the 2nd worst starting goalie of the first round, but all the blame you want to place on Andersen is that he only stole two games. Absolutely hilarious how clear your agenda is. When he's dead on his career average in the regular season, it's the Leafs defense relying on his star performances to keep pucks out. When he's absolutely terrible in the playoffs, it's still the Leafs defense that's to blame because they didn't tighten up enough for him

So I'm making up the fact the Leafs give up more shots than most of the other top contenders?

My "agenda" is that I disagree that the Leafs have a good enough defense (as of right now, in case they trade for a stud and someone decides to bump this to "prove me wrong") to win without Andersen having to stand on his head.

Their defense reminds me more of the 2017 Pens Cup win, where the Pens seemed to get out-shot often, but Fleury/Murray put on Conn Smythe worthy performances to carry them to a Cup.

What is your deal, anyway? Anyone says anything negative about the Leafs and you instantly cry about "agendas" and such. If someone doesn't praise the Leafs, they must absolutely hate them and want to tear them down!

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
So I'm making up the fact the Leafs give up more shots than most of the other top contenders?

My "agenda" is that I disagree that the Leafs have a good enough defense (as of right now, in case they trade for a stud and someone decides to bump this to "prove me wrong") to win without Andersen having to stand on his head.

Their defense reminds me more of the 2017 Pens Cup win, where the Pens seemed to get out-shot often, but Fleury/Murray put on Conn Smythe worthy performances to carry them to a Cup.

What is your deal, anyway? Anyone says anything negative about the Leafs and you instantly cry about "agendas" and such. If someone doesn't praise the Leafs, they must absolutely hate them and want to tear them down!
you're not making it up, but you are clinging to pretty useless stats because they "prove" what you already agree with. The entire nature of hockey is to outscore your opponent, and the Leafs are constructing a team that's designed to do that. They could easily replace Andersen with a terrible goalie to upgrade their blueline, but that would probably make the team worse. Look at Carolina if you don't believe a good goalie must be a key part of a strong defensive core.

I don't mind if you have doubts or concerns with the way the Leafs are constructed as a team, but it does seem like you're letting your dislike for Leafs fans influence your posts. I don't believe you have any malice towards the team itself or anything though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad