How low can Florida finish this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I hope he can come back..................the last 10 days or so, they have been very very quiet and the pessimist in me thinks Monahan is hurt more than they had realized............hope I am wrong there.
He will get us a very good asset, or even two if we can deal him.

Don't look good today but the story can change. The long break is a good thing for me. We will see if he plays in those 10 games. That's a huge factor where we can only guess based on the information we have which is limited.

What I'm worried about is that because he was playing on a fracture foot, that he was compensating with the way he was playing and maybe walking and he ended up aggravating his hips.

I hope I'm wrong and it's your guess. That it's still simply his foot.

If the hip issues come back, that is a terrible situation. Then he goes back to his value with the Flames and were getting nothing.

We will see. It's a lot of time off and that could be a good thing. They are clearly being conservative with his recovery. I fully support only playing him if he is 100%. If he returns at 80%, his performance will be noticed IMO.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Monahan can mess up the tank. But at the same time, if he play very well. He can also bring us a second round pick. (if we are lucky, maybe a first round pick in 2023.)

If he only is able to come back after the deadline, I wonder if we don't offer him a 1 year deal at 6M and see if we can get that 1st at the 2024TDL.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
If he only is able to come back after the deadline, I wonder if we don't offer him a 1 year deal at 6M and see if we can get that 1st at the 2024TDL.
Why? He is damaged goods and every team knows it. The Flames gave up a 1st to get rid of him and now we will be hard-pressed to move him, his body is broken and no gm worth his salt will pay him that kind of money.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Why? He is damaged goods and every team knows it. The Flames gave up a 1st to get rid of him and now we will be hard-pressed to move him, his body is broken and no gm worth his salt will pay him that kind of money.

I need more information on the nature of the current injury. If it's hip related, forget about it.

If it's not hip related, and it looks lo kn e he can fully recover, I'd take a flyer.

But that he started skating, then had to stop, doesn't bode well.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I need more information on the nature of the current injury. If it's hip related, forget about it.

If it's not hip related, and it looks lo kn e he can fully recover, I'd take a flyer.

But that he started skating, then had to stop, doesn't bode well.
He is not in the future plans of the Habs, we took him to get the draft pick and for nothing more. He played well for us but now sits injured for the last 25 games and it has really put a dent into our chances of trading him. He won't be here next year no matter what happens at the tdl.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He is not in the future plans of the Habs, we took him to get the draft pick and for nothing more. He played well for us but now sits injured for the last 25 games and it has really put a dent into our chances of trading him. He won't be here next year no matter what happens at the tdl.
Monahan’s multiple injuries and surgeries coming into this season were already a huge cause for concern but when you tack on this season’s time on IR, it’s like a continuation of the last 4 years. Who is going to want to pay a high price in a trade with this level of uncertainty prevailing?

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Monahan’s multiple injuries and surgeries coming into this season were already a huge cause for concern but when you tack on this season’s time on IR, it’s like a continuation of the last 4 years. Who is going to want to pay a high price in a trade with this level of uncertainty prevailing?
no one. There won't even be enough time to show another team he's healthy by March 3rd.
I think he's either traded for a draft pick based on how much he plays - maybe a 2nd or 3rd or signed to a show me short term deal.

That being said with the crazy run on C's in the league and the position being at a premium I wouldn't be surprised if he simply walks and ends up getting a better deal with term and money elsewhere. He's only 28

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I am predicting that a 3rd-4th rounder will be as much that teams will pay, as you mentioned, the injury worries are too great to risk giving up a 1st rounder.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I've never really felt like there was a rush to trade him. His contract is fine, he brings a different element and he is young enough to be around when making the playoffs will be the goal. I'd be happy to trade him, but I don't feel like it's a must do... so I'm happy they are being patient.

Anderson is not a must trade for me either. I see no reason to rush to trade the guy. He's fine. People are losing their f***ing minds over him. Like calm the f*** down, it's not like Anderson is making us one of the worst teams in the league.

Guys like Hoffman, Drouin, Dadonov & Gallagher are way more brutal players. Wideman is awful. Allen is the f***ing tank commander.

If anything, it's noticeable that Anderson has worked on parts of his game, especially defensively. He seems to be fine on the pk too.

I'd trade Dvorak, Evans, Monahan, Edmundson, any of the 5 above already mentioned players before Anderson. That's like 9 guys!

If he's with us for 2023-2024 season, so be it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hmm if our pick lands in the top 10 I will be happy. If the Florida pick lands beyond 12th spot I would consider actually trading it to the Jets for Dubius just so we can fill out center problem and be done with it.

I would assume pre lottery our pick is in the 5th to 9th range and the panthers in the 8th to 15th range (hopefully not worse)

I'll be happy with 2 top 15 picks, of course 2 top 12 picks sounds better and 2 top 10 picks sounds f***ing great.

There's no way I look at this team and think about trading futures for PLD. I think this team is a long ways to go still, could take many years to fix this shit.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Don’t understand Hughes’ reported unwillingness to trade Anderson…. He is a good player but he’s not a good fit for how St Louis wants to play.

He's just trying to boost it's trade value. They traded Romanov wich was a fan favorite, they won't hesitate to move Anderson. Problem is getting a decent return without retaining.

rochab

Sep 16, 2020
He's just trying to boost it's trade value. They traded Romanov wich was a fan favorite, they won't hesitate to move Anderson. Problem is getting a decent return without retaining.
I get that he’s trying to boost his trade value by waiting for the TDL, that’s fine. I just don’t think he should be in our long term plans because he’s a decent player on a reasonable contract. (Which I think he is). He doesn’t excel at the style MSL wants to play so I want his roster spot and his cap space for someone who is a better fit for MSL’s system. The longer we hold on to him the more his value drops. Take the best offer you can get at the TDL and move on…

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I get that he’s trying to boost his trade value by waiting for the TDL, that’s fine. I just don’t think he should be in our long term plans because he’s a decent player on a reasonable contract. (Which I think he is). He doesn’t excel at the style MSL wants to play so I want his roster spot and his cap space for someone who is a better fit for MSL’s system. The longer we hold on to him the more his value drops. Take the best offer you can get at the TDL and move on…

I think it's more the idea sent out there that is important and it's the right one.

Right now, Anderson is not a problem. We don't have a cap problem, we won't have a cap problem next year and he will still not be a problem even if they would be trying to win or to tank next year. He didn't asked for a trade either and he's not turning UFA anytime soon.

And will his value will drop from TDL and 4 months later at the draft or next September before camp?
We're not in a panic to trade him and we shouldn't take the approach it's TDL or we're screwed.....not sure Hughes could have got a 13th overall pick at TDL for Romanov!

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

We do have the hardest schedule remaining at least. The pacific teams and Chicago have a relatively easy schedule, but Columbus are right up there with us.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member

We do have the hardest schedule remaining at least. The pacific teams and Chicago have a relatively easy schedule, but Columbus are right up there with us.
Damn, I just realized that all the rest of the teams will be playing this week except us. We’ll no doubt be falling in the standings by the time our first game starts on Feb 11th.

Good week for the tank

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Anderson's trade value is not going to drop. If anything it will get better summer of 2024 when the cap goes up $4m, and he only has 3 years left.

Hughes is right to wait. There's zero reason to trade Anderson right now.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I would assume pre lottery our pick is in the 5th to 9th range and the panthers in the 8th to 15th range (hopefully not worse)

I'll be happy with 2 top 15 picks, of course 2 top 12 picks sounds better and 2 top 10 picks sounds f***ing great.

There's no way I look at this team and think about trading futures for PLD. I think this team is a long ways to go still, could take many years to fix this shit.

Hughes biggest issue is how many long term contracts Bergevin left behind, especially at forward.

We're already set at RW next year: Caufield (needs to be signed), Anderson (4 years), Gallagher (4 years) & Armia (2 years).

And set at center: Suzuki (good), Dach (good), Dvorak (2 years) & Evans (2 years)

Fortunately Drouin & Dadonov are leaving to open up spots on LW, but we still have Hoffman for one more year. Slafkovsky, Pezzetta, RHP, Farrell, Ylonen, Heineman & Roy for 2-3 open forward spots. RHP & Ylonen are both waivers eligible next September as well. And if we do win one of Bedard, Fantilli or Carlsson, I believe all 3 may be in NHL next year.

I really don't see Beck making Montreal next year unless Hughes is able to move one of Dvorak or Evans. No room.

Should make for good competition at camp.

Reactions: Redux91

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's more the idea sent out there that is important and it's the right one.

Right now, Anderson is not a problem. We don't have a cap problem, we won't have a cap problem next year and he will still not be a problem even if they would be trying to win or to tank next year. He didn't asked for a trade either and he's not turning UFA anytime soon.

And will his value will drop from TDL and 4 months later at the draft or next September before camp?
We're not in a panic to trade him and we shouldn't take the approach it's TDL or we're screwed.....not sure Hughes could have got a 13th overall pick at TDL for Romanov!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anderson's trade value is not going to drop. If anything it will get better summer of 2024 when the cap goes up $4m, and he only has 3 years left.

Hughes is right to wait. There's zero reason to trade Anderson right now.
Totally agree. There is no rush to move him. He's not likely to decline in the next 2-3 years and he does provide size and grit elements that are not in large supply in this lineup.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Totally agree. There is no rush to move him. He's not likely to decline in the next 2-3 years and he does provide size and grit elements that are not in large supply in this lineup.
I would not move Anderson for only a late first.

I would consider a trade for an 8-12 pick, or a late first plus a promising prospect who will likely make the NHL as a top 9 forward or top 5 defenceman, or as a goalie.

I would also consider hockey trades, such as Anderson and a small piece for Meier extended, if San José decides they don't want to tear down their team but don't want to continue with Meier either.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReHabs

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I'm so undecided on Anderson. I think he's a really bad cap-asset but he's a desirable trade-asset... he's also pointless to hold onto for the Habs' and our projected window of contention. And given Armia and Gallagher, we need to shed some underproductive players and Anderson is very much underproductive vs his caphit. I'm afraid of him losing trade-value with 30pts seasons back to back... or possibly due to injury... but then again, the cap is going up big time possibly as soon as next year and he'll be even more palatable for a young but lacking in toughness team. Think about the Gainey Habs, we would've needed him to help our shrimps out, for sure.

Very confusing!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm so undecided on Anderson. I think he's a really bad cap-asset but he's a desirable trade-asset... he's also pointless to hold onto for the Habs' and our projected window of contention. And given Armia and Gallagher, we need to shed some underproductive players and Anderson is very much underproductive vs his caphit. I'm afraid of him losing trade-value with 30pts seasons back to back... or possibly due to injury... but then again, the cap is going up big time possibly as soon as next year and he'll be even more palatable for a young but lacking in toughness team. Think about the Gainey Habs, we would've needed him to help our shrimps out, for sure.

Very confusing!
Solid 20 goal scorer with size and speed. Despite not many assists, he has value and should not be given away. If we move him, we will need to replace the size, but that is not impossible.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Very confusing!
If what we've been hearing so far this season that there are a lot of GMs interested in Anderson, is true, then the back to back 30ish point seasons are not a concern. That's not why teams are after him. He's got the size, speed, truculence combo that some old time GMs crave.

We're long passed what may have become a significant thorn which was his major injury from 3 years ago -- he's been healthy since and barely missing any games. I think it's just a matter of Hughes holding out for an overpay and if he's not getting it, he's holding until he does since Anderson is a good team player and as you noted, the cap going up is only going to make him that much more enticing.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If what we've been hearing so far this season that there are a lot of GMs interested in Anderson, is true, then the back to back 30ish point seasons are not a concern. That's not why teams are after him. He's got the size, speed, truculence combo that some old time GMs crave.
And GOALS. Let's not forget that. There's 10g, 20a and then there's 22g, 10 assists. Quite a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad