How low can Florida finish this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardcorehabs

Feb 9, 2013
Saskatchewan
I would say 66% chance they are winning the division. And 90% chance they are finishing 2 or 3 in the Atlantic. And 98% chance they are at least a wildcard team.

If Barkov & Ekblad both go down with season ending injuries, there’s your 2% chance they miss the playoffs.

Some will point to Vegas, but Lehner was hurt all year. And they had major injuries to Stone, Eichel, Patch. Vegas almost certainly makes the playoffs this year.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I think the East is going to be a blood bath. A lot depends on PIT WSH NYI BOS during the offseason. I think NJD OTT PHI really want to contend and were disappointed last season. They will get better. CBJ, BUF and DET want to step up, even though BUF at least should remain a non playoff team. MTL is the only clear rebuilding team in the East. When you have 13/14 teams wanting to get into playoff contention, there is a level of randomness not to be underestimated.

I would not bet on them missing the playoffs but I would not bet on them winning the division for sure.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Realistically, how low can they finish in the standings?

We should have a dedicated thread to cheer for each and every one of their losses this year.
They'll be top 15 in the league at minimum.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Not enough to really help us I'm afraid, unless the panthers get hit hard by the injury bug. Stranger things have happened though, you never know for sure.

Reactions: jaffy27

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
I'd think they're a lock to at least finish in the top 3 spots in our division..

However,
Our div is actually really strong. I can see the Leafs + Bolts finish ahead of the Panthers and then can 1 of the Bruins/Sens/RedWings/Sabres beat them to 3rd?

Probably not, but crazier things have happened. I think the Sens are going to take a big step forward this year but likely not big enough to finish ahead of Florida.

I think they'll finish 2nd or 3rd in the Atlantic.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I find Florida is historically a hit and miss club. They have a great year or two followed by bad years. If their goaltending falters, which it easily could, they may be in trouble. Especially with an expected arms race that happening in the East, Philly, Ottawa, NJ look to be a lot better this year. Carolina, Tampa will continue to be playoff teams and then the usually suspects if Washington, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Boston and Rangers who should all be playoff teams.

East is going to be right this year with very good teams and bad teams but few in the middle.

Reactions: jaffy27

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Banking on Paul Maurice to lose the room.

Also they have some cap issues, will be interesting to see who gets left out and what their lines look like.

I'd say it's unlikely but not impossible they finaih outside the playoffs.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
They are a tough one for me to predict. The obvious answer is that they will be great again this year. They have a roster that can score goals at will.

On the other hand I always get a little skeptical of a team when pretty much every player has a career year at the same time. Is it the start of something special or will they fall back down to earth again because they caught lightning in a bottle.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
We need their goaltending to suck, so hopefully Bob is pissed at all these trade rumours, and sucks terribly due to lack of confidence, and Knight isn't ready. Nothing kills a team faster than bad goaltending.

Still, they have the offense to overcome poor goaltending; however their coach is Paul Maurice who coaches teams to mediocrity.

Hoping for a top 20 pick (basically 20th), which would put them 4th in Atlantic/8th in East, which is where Washington landed.

Atlantic should be stronger next year. It was top heavy last season, but Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit and even Montreal should all be stronger, so I don't expect the big 3 to pick up as many points. It'll all depend on how much stronger bottom of Atlantic really is.

Reactions: Goldenhands

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
best case scenario? that pick falls to us at around 20th. Unless Florida breaks off into the ocean because of climate crisis and they're forced to play their home games in Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad