How does the Atlantic shake out this season?

Which 4 teams make it?

• Total voters

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Tampa, Boston & Toronto will probably finish 1-2-3 again. Maybe Florida makes it. Montreal with a punches chance. Detroit, Buffalo and Ottawa are better off tanking for Lafreniere. Not that they have a choice in the matter, or anything.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Kadri, in particular, I think is the key loss. So much now rides on how Kerfoot can handle 3C duties. Or if not him, then either Nylander switched to center or a broken down Spezza taking that role.

As a Pens fan, I know full well how difficult the loss of a solid 3C in Bonino affected the Pens the past couple of seasons. At the time it was, "meh, he's only a 35 point 3C. I'm sure anyone can replace that", but as it turns out it's not that simple. I just see losing Kadri as potentially having the same impact on Toronto's depth.
You may be right. As decent as Kerfoot looks to me, there's still no guarantees someone can fill a hole. but overall, I don't have any issues with downgrading at 3C, especially when it looks like their biggest gap is offensive talent. Kadri's underlying numbers were pretty disappointing last year

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Chose 3 but I think Florida is 50-50 to grab the 4th slot.

If the habs landed Duchene or Aho, I would have had them in.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
You may be right. As decent as Kerfoot looks to me, there's still no guarantees someone can fill a hole. but overall, I don't have any issues with downgrading at 3C, especially when it looks like their biggest gap is offensive talent. Kadri's underlying numbers were pretty disappointing last year

a 3rd line consisting of Kapanen+Kerfoot+Spezza/Mikheyev/Moore is still likely one of the best on the league. How many teams have a pair of 40+pt guys playing on line 3?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Went with Tampa, Florida and Boston with Montreal edging out Toronto. Toronto misses by a point or two (or takes the 2nd wildcard spot).

HAHAHA.

Florida and Montreal in...Toronto out. horrible take. might as well have tampa missing

Reactions: Rob Brown

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
General consensus is clearly some sort of Boston Tampa Toronto top 3 with Florida 4th. Personally I think Montreal could be better than Florida but we'll see. Should be more competitive than last season though when the big 3 kind of had their way.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
HAHAHA.

Florida and Montreal in...Toronto out. horrible take. might as well have tampa missing

I said they'd end up with the 2nd wildcard. They barely limped in the last 2 years and I see the same happening this year - with exception of falling slightly short of the 4th spot.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
That's just not true

Teams that had better records than the Leafs and missed the playoffs the following season:

2018 (missed 2019)
Minnesota
Anaheim

2017 (missed 2018)
Rangers
Montreal
Chicago
Edmonton

2016 (missed 2017)
Islanders
Dallas
Florida
Kings

For the sake of space I will only go back three seasons.

But I will also note that the Kings missed the playoffs in 2015 after winning the cup the previous year. The Hurricanes missed the playoffs in 2007 after winning the cup the previous season. The Devils missed the playoffs in 2013 after making it to the finals the previous season. Boston missed the playoffs in 2015 after winning the Presidents' trophy the previous season.

The Leafs were one of the worst teams in the NHL second half of the 2018/19 season.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Teams that had better records than the Leafs and missed the playoffs the following season:

2018 (missed 2019)
Minnesota
Anaheim

2017 (missed 2018)
Rangers
Montreal
Chicago
Edmonton

2016 (missed 2017)
Islanders
Dallas
Florida
Kings

For the sake of space I will only go back three seasons.

But I will also note that the Kings missed the playoffs in 2015 after winning the cup the previous year. The Hurricanes missed the playoffs in 2007 after winning the cup the previous season. The Devils missed the playoffs in 2013 after making it to the finals the previous season. Boston missed the playoffs in 2015 after winning the Presidents' trophy the previous season.

The Leafs were one of the worst teams in the NHL second half of the 2018/19 season.

You go ahead and put money on the Leafs missing the playoffs I choose to live in reality.

It's not going to happen there is to much talent up and now they have actually fixed their defense

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Tampa
Toronto/Boston
-?
Florida
-?
Buffalo
-?
Montreal
Detroit
Ottawa

-? = where cutoff could be.

I think Detroit will be ahead of Montreal maybe as early as next year as they get better with prospects growing Stevie Y and with price and Weber aging. Have got good pieces too but wings better IMO.

The top thee need no explanation and Florida’s finally has a goalie and coach so well see how that goes.

I want to say buffalo can surprise and seeing how they played those first thirty games with 21 wins was inspiring by after that Just abysmal.

It might take one more year before they make it but interesting additions this season include

-Coach K. Just has to be an improvement. Also the goaltending coach of the canes who worked wonders last year for mraZek and Curtis mc.

-Retaining Skinner is big, too much money but oh well, and Reinhart is in a contract year, there am of his two year bridge so look for another career year for him. Eichel to some “broke out” last year but to me he won’t until he gets 95 or more, with dahlin in his second year in the back end and Sam in his contract hear mixed win skinner wanting to earn what he got, with jack I prick from g such test and assuming he plays all 82 which he’s never done this could be the year he breaks 90 at least. He was on a 82 game pace for 88 as it was to begin with.

-Marcus Johansson was a huge grab, bruins fans called him their heart last year. He’s a good top six addition, I fully expect mittlestadt to improve and double his points almost, so hopefully he gets over fifty which is realistic. He got way better as the season went in I’m not completely delusional (lol) I know some players won’t do well.

-Vesey is whatever but need more scoring in the wings. Last year of people like okposo, Carter Hutton (if he’s average or below) and bogosian which will help our ability to grab other Fa or graduate other prospects.

-Ukko Pekka Luukonen might be ready for 9 game or more, not sure I’d rush him just yet as Ullmark could be ready in his second year with a much improved defense.

-additions of Colin Miller and Jokiharju will be huge too. Brandin montour also starting the year with the team, getting a full camp and practices in with the club should help his familiarity with everyone producing better results.

The the two wildcards here are

larence pilut who many felt should of stared the heat on the back end last season and now he’s inured hope it’s good by the season because like Montour it would benefit him to have a camp and bot just thrown in

Victor Oloffson

Depending where Oloffson plays he could hit anywhere from ten to twenty goals. Maybe more but I don’t want to set the bar so high he’s just an amazing shot.

I think this would be the general consensus around here.

Yeah and what if we think five teams make it? Even then that would be my answer

Last edited:
Reactions: IPS

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Kadri, in particular, I think is the key loss. So much now rides on how Kerfoot can handle 3C duties. Or if not him, then either Nylander switched to center or a broken down Spezza taking that role.

As a Pens fan, I know full well how difficult the loss of a solid 3C in Bonino affected the Pens the past couple of seasons. At the time it was, "meh, he's only a 35 point 3C. I'm sure anyone can replace that", but as it turns out it's not that simple. I just see losing Kadri as potentially having the same impact on Toronto's depth.

For the Pens, they have relied heavily on their 3Cs for matchups. I remember the days of Jordan Staal and then Bonino and both those guys were important players. Our coach is a f***ing moron and turned Kadri (a complete mismatch for the Leafs at 3C) into a non-role non-productive player. Not only did he not give Naz a well defined role as a 3C, he never tried to match the 3rd line against the other teams' top lines. He always went with the JT line for that. Secondary to not giving Naz a role, he played 16 minutes a night of absolutely non-productive hockey trying to carry old man Marleau and Connor Brown (who I absolutely love but could not produce for whatever reason).

If it were any other coach and had Kadri been a big impact guy for us last season, I would agree that he would have been a big loss, but with the idiot coach we have, we can literally plug in a much inferior player in Kerfoot/ Spezza and honestly not miss beat because we were literally getting absolutely nothing out of our third line or our 4th line last year.

The biggest plus for us this year, is that we lost Marleau, Brown who made Kadri a null as a 3C. This year, at worst, we again have no 3rd line/ 4th line. At best, we have young skilled hungry kids graduating from the Marlies and signed via UFA who are anxious to contribute. Hopefully having lesser named players also means that idiot Babcock will give AM and JT lines much more ice time. That was yet another issue. Not only was Kadri not effective but realistically he should have been playing 2-3 minutes less per game and his minutes should have gone to Auston.

Johnny/ Mikheyev - AM - Willy/ KK >>>> Johnny/Marleau - AM - KK
Hyms - JT - MM ----- same as last year
Mikheyev/ Johnny- Kerfoot/Willy - KK/Kerfoot >>>> Marleau - Kadri - Brown/Willy
Moore - Spezza - Marchment >>>> Moore - Goat - Brown/ Ennis/ Willy

Extras: Goat/ Petan

Muzzin - Barrie >>>>> Rielly - Hainsey
Rielly - Harpur > Muzzin - Z
Dermott - Ceci >>>> Dermott - Oz/ Marincin/ Holl

Biggest plus for Leafs over Boston/ Tampa (to a much much lesser extent) is that their core is getting 1 year older and more experienced (even with their failure).

Boston has some great young players but right now are being carried by their vets primarily. Let's see how long that holds up and if the kids can shoulder the load when more lands on their plate. Tampa like I said is slightly less so because their core is still in their prime but they lost a few good role guys like Girardi, Stralman, Miller. I don't expect them to budge however because their kids are f***ing studs.

Matthews, Marner, Rielly, Moore, AJ, KK, Willy, Dermott are all young kids who will naturally progress. Not everyone will take a leap forward offensively maybe but their overall play should get slightly better.

Last edited:
Reactions: IPS

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Tampa
Boston
Toronto
Montreal

Ottawa and Detroit are rebuilding, Florida and Buffalo are eternal losers. Opens up the door for the Habs to sneak in as the four seed here.

Tampa, Boston & Toronto will probably finish 1-2-3 again. Maybe Florida makes it. Montreal with a punches chance. Detroit, Buffalo and Ottawa are better off tanking for Lafreniere. Not that they have a choice in the matter, or anything.

Good luck with that.

c4rdsh4rk

Sep 17, 2007
Ottawa Detroit buffalo Montreal ainec

Edit.. oh nvm. Just put my votes in and apparently everyone thinks the exact opposite, but it's still an ainec. At least I got that part right.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I didn't vote for Boston. Bold prediction but we'll see

I'm actually not as high on Florida as the rest. It seems like every year lately people expect them to dominate and they disappoint. I have the Habs ahead of them. I'd like to see Buffalo finally make some noise too, but we say that every year too so...
I think boston could take a step back too.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
What do people see in the Habs? Yes Price is good, but they pretty much have zero elite talent up front. IMO they overachieved quite a bit last year thanks to good coaching. Meanwhile the Panthers have unreal offensive talent and just added one of the best goalies and coaches in the game.

Tampa
Florida
Toronto
Boston
Buffalo
Detroit
Montreal
Ottawa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad