How does the Atlantic shake out this season?

Which 4 teams make it?

• Total voters

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I didn't vote for Boston. Bold prediction but we'll see

I'm actually not as high on Florida as the rest. It seems like every year lately people expect them to dominate and they disappoint. I have the Habs ahead of them. I'd like to see Buffalo finally make some noise too, but we say that every year too so...

Florida issue was goaltending and goaltending alone, they fixed that

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Tampa, Toronto, Boston, and Florida. If the Metro is an absolute bloodbath, Buffalo or Montreal could very well sneak in the WC2 spot.

Montreal Maybe but not Buffalo, Carter Hutton is simply not good enough to consistently beat Andersen, Vasy,Rask, Price, Bob or even Halak, and no Ullmark isn't either Buffalo's goaltending simply doesn't stack up.

They also can't Match, Toronto, Tampa, Florida or Boston offensively

I think they are a better roster I do but I don't know if it will show up in the standings because the east as a whole loaded up.

To me it is possible that they have a better roster but finish with fewer points in the standings because the upgrades they made don't match the upgrades teams around them made

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Montreal Maybe but not Buffalo, Carter Hutton is simply not good enough to consistently beat Andersen, Vasy,Rask, Price, Bob or even Halak, and no Ullmark isn't either Buffalo's goaltending simply doesn't stack up.

They also can't Match, Toronto, Tampa, Florida or Boston offensively

I think they are a better roster I do but I don't know if it will show up in the standings because the east as a whole loaded up.

To me it is possible that they have a better roster but finish with fewer points in the standings because the upgrades they made don't match the upgrades teams around them made
Aside from Florida, which other teams around them made upgrades that would push the Sabres further down the standings compared to last year?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Aside from Florida, which other teams around them made upgrades that would push the Sabres further down the standings compared to last year?

Well let's see

Florida got better

Toronto got better

NYR got better

NJ got better

Philadelphia got better, even if they did overpay to do it

And depending on Varlamov's health you might be able to add the NYI to that list

I vent th teams that got weaker like Tampa, Washington, Arguably Montreal Buffalo isn't passing those teams

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Well let's see

Florida got better

Toronto got better

NYR got better

NJ got better

And depending on Varlamov's health you might be able to add the NYI to that list

I vent th teams that got weaker like Tampa, Washington, Arguably Montreal Buffalo isn't passing those teams
Ok. I mentioned Florida. Toronto could have an argument if they get Marner signed. All of the other teams getting better are not in the Atlantic, which is what the thread is about.
Tampa probably didn't improve their roster.
Boston didn't either and is another year older.
Montreal probably got worse.
Ottawa is seemingly purposefully worse.
Toronto probably improved in some areas and probably got worse in others.
We can talk about the Metro if you like and it's impact on the Atlantic.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Ok. I mentioned Florida. Toronto could have an argument if they get Marner signed. All of the other teams getting better are not in the Atlantic, which is what the thread is about.
Tampa probably didn't improve their roster.
Boston didn't either and is another year older.
Montreal probably got worse.
Ottawa is seemingly purposefully worse.
Toronto probably improved in some areas and probably got worse in others.
We can talk about the Metro if you like and it's impact on the Atlantic.

Which teams got a year younger?

I would also say a whole year of having a great 3c in Coyle will be an improvement over what they had pre trade deadline. Boston had a hole at #2 RW and #3C last year and still were one of the best teams in the league. Now one of those spots is filled.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Well, Tampa Boston Toronto Florida are the 4 best teams in the division on paper, so i have to go with them. And the poll results reflect that.

Anything could happen, and some of the challengers like Buffalo and Montreal are capable if they have a great season. But, im going with the best odds by voting for the best 4 teams.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Which teams got a year younger?

I would also say a whole year of having a great 3c in Coyle will be an improvement over what they had pre trade deadline. Boston had a hole at #2 RW and #3C last year and still were one of the best teams in the league. Now one of those spots is filled.

Played a lot of hockey, with an older team...
Plus I would say we got younger: No Hainsey, Marleau, Kerfoot is younger than Kadri.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Florida issue was goaltending and goaltending alone, they fixed that

They needed a top 4RD as well pretty badly.

2 years ago they got amazing goaltending from Luongo and still missed

2 years ago they didn't have the offense, and once they did Luongos game went downhill fast.

Now they have the same offense(top6) with some bottom6 improvements.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Well let's see

Florida got better

Toronto got better

NYR got better

NJ got better

Did Toronto really get better?

So far they've given up Kadri+ Gardiner+ Zaitsev+ Hainsey+ Marleau and gotten Barrie+Kerfoot+ Ceci+ Spezza.

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

So far they've given up Kadri+ Gardiner+ Marleau and gotten Barrie+Kerfoot.

Marleau and Gards? The same guys that are still on the market? Get real. I am sure Leafs are not going to miss a washed up 40 year old who only cares about his iron man streak in their lineup. Kerfoot more than adequately replaces Kadri who wasn't that great as the 3C last season and is a ticking time bomb. Barrie is a huge upgrade on Zaitzev who he will replace paired up with Muzzin. I still think they are missing another top pairing guy to pair with Rielly. Ceci is not going to cut it, not by a long shot. That's the only thing I am concerned about heading into the season.

To me, it's a stress free season. If they don't win a round (or even miss the playoffs) Babcock is gone and there are some changes. If they have some success in the playoffs, then that's great.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Marleau and Gards? The same guys that are still on the market? Get real. I am sure Leafs are not going to miss a washed up 40 year old who only cares about his iron man streak in their lineup. Kerfoot more than adequately replaces Kadri who wasn't that great as the 3C last season and is a ticking time bomb. Barrie is a huge upgrade on Zaitzev who he will replace paired up with Muzzin. I still think they are missing another top pairing guy to pair with Rielly. Ceci is not going to cut it, not by a long shot. That's the only thing I am concerned about heading into the season.

To me, it's a stress free season. If they don't win a round (or even miss the playoffs) Babcock is gone and there are some changes. If they have some success in the playoffs, then that's great.

The mere thought they could miss the playoffs is ridiculous

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

So far they've given up Kadri+ Gardiner+ Zaitsev+ Hainsey+ Marleau and gotten Barrie+Kerfoot+ Ceci+ Spezza.
Yes, Toronto really got better. Don't forget an extra 30 games of Nylander and an extra 50 games of Muzzin. Also natural progression of young players

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Well let me ask you this would you rather have

Rielly Muzzin, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Dermott, and Oz

OR

Rielly, Barrie, Muzzin, Dermott Ceci

Even though there are only 5 guys in option 2 because I'm not sure who the 6th guy is, I know my answer, and if You're honest I know yours too

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yes, Toronto really got better. Don't forget an extra 30 games of Nylander and an extra 50 games of Muzzin. Also natural progression of young players

Losing Kadri at the 3C spot could be a bigger loss than Leaf fans want to admit. Especially given the options he gave Babcock (ie. could be used as a match-up center).

Offensively, Barrie will bring more to the table than Gardiner. But it's still up in the air whether Barrie will improve the defense corps' play in their own zone.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Losing Kadri at the 3C spot could be a bigger loss than Leaf fans want to admit. Especially given the options he gave Babcock (ie. could be used as a match-up center).

Offensively, Barrie will bring more to the table than Gardiner. But it's still up in the air whether Barrie will improve the defense corps' play in their own zone.
I'm not really sure it will be. Obviously Kadri is a far better player and will shine on Colorado, but he truly didn't do much for the Leafs as their 3C. Especially since it culminated in another suspension in the playoffs. Gardiner is awesome and probably as good as Barrie at his best, but his back injury really threw his game off down the stretch and into the playoffs. It ended up with him struggling on the 3rd pairing to close out the season. Plus Barrie is a rightie and offers better balance in terms of pairings.

Hainsey, healthy Gardiner, and Kadri to a lesser extent are losses, but I don't see any reason they can't be overcome quite easily. Brown, Zaitsev, and Marleau really didn't bring anything

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not really sure it will be. Obviously Kadri is a far better player and will shine on Colorado, but he truly didn't do much for the Leafs as their 3C. Especially since it culminated in another suspension in the playoffs. Gardiner is awesome and probably as good as Barrie at his best, but his back injury really threw his game off down the stretch and into the playoffs. It ended up with him struggling on the 3rd pairing to close out the season. Plus Barrie is a rightie and offers better balance in terms of pairings.

Hainsey, healthy Gardiner, and Kadri to a lesser extent are losses, but I don't see any reason they can't be overcome quite easily. Brown, Zaitsev, and Marleau really didn't bring anything

Kadri, in particular, I think is the key loss. So much now rides on how Kerfoot can handle 3C duties. Or if not him, then either Nylander switched to center or a broken down Spezza taking that role.

As a Pens fan, I know full well how difficult the loss of a solid 3C in Bonino affected the Pens the past couple of seasons. At the time it was, "meh, he's only a 35 point 3C. I'm sure anyone can replace that", but as it turns out it's not that simple. I just see losing Kadri as potentially having the same impact on Toronto's depth.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Tampa
Boston
Toronto
Montreal

Ottawa and Detroit are rebuilding, Florida and Buffalo are eternal losers. Opens up the door for the Habs to sneak in as the four seed here.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Controversial picks.

Toronto
Tampa
Boston
Montreal

Florida snags a wildcard

I think Toronto makes some noise this year

I think Tampa looks beatable in some way. Probably with Cooper playing around with his roster to try to experimenting with a playoff style. It'll payoff in the post season but cost them some regular season wins.

Boston hits a post finals slump at some point in the first quarter that costs them points. Still a playoff team though.

Florida takes a year to figure it all out. They struggles against teams like Boston and Columbus styles a lot. They get hot late in the season and race to catch-up with the playoff teams.

Montreal cant compete with the big 3 but does better than Florida and Buffalo.

Buffalo is forever stuck in the middle. Without great prospects coming up, they can't get past where they are at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad