• Good top 6 player

• Average top 6 player

• Below average top 6 player

Results are only viewable after voting.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Good to very good. This year is a mega blip.
He has 50 pp points this year. He had 50 total points last year.

The Oilers 33% powerplay is probably not completely sustainable. That's the best PP% of all time. All 3 top Oilers scorers are probably in for some regression in their PP output.

Reactions: EK47 and wetcoast

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Good top 6 guy riding the McDavid tide for all it's worth (and yes, I do consider it a skill to produce with a superstar, not everyone can do it)

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Good top 6 guy riding the McDavid tide for all it's worth (and yes, I do consider it a skill to produce with a superstar, not everyone can do it)
You’re about to get some very angry Oiler fans who don’t believe McDavid is the straw that stirs the drink with RNH…

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Good summary. Nuge is and was expected to be our top 6 Swiss knife that can play anywhere in the line-up, be defensively responsible, contribute to the PK/PP and break even at even strength - as such he is paid 5 million/year to do so. Increasing his production to what he has is a outstanding cherry on top and just makes the contract even more worth it to begin with.

Would he drive a line and get 100 points? No, but he’s certainly a high skill/IQ player capable of complimenting star players and covering for injuries as needed.
You’re about to get some very angry Oiler fans who don’t believe McDavid is the straw that stirs the drink with RNH…
Your contribution to this thread is worthless. Take your pot stirring elsewhere.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Most Oiler fans aren't delusional about their own players, generally we are harder on our guys than the outside is, take a peek at our GDTs.

That said, RNH has been undervalued around HF for a while hence why I created this poll in the first case and look what he ended up doing afterwards!

Reactions: Aqualung

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
RNH is a poor man's Ron Francis. A legitimately great player on his own but wouldn't be third in league scoring without better line mates.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He is a good top 6 player. Playing with McDavid has probably added a solid 40ish points give or take to his totals this season. Might as well ride the gravy train while you can.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Most Oiler fans aren't delusional about their own players, generally we are harder on our guys than the outside is, take a peek at our GDTs.

That said, RNH has been undervalued around HF for a while hence why I created this poll in the first case and look what he ended up doing afterwards!
I don’t think he’s a bad player, but I also don’t think he’s a 90+ point player suddenly and exclusively under his own merit. When I brought this up on the main board there was a lot fending from an angry few. That’s why I also said some rather than all Oiler fans.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I feel like this has aged fairly well.

He's obviously not a 100 point scorer without playing on that PP, but he's still probably no worse than a 60 point guy on a weaker team. He's not a line driver but there also aren't tons of guys who are smart enough and skilled enough to compliment world class guys like McDavid and Draisaitl.
He's actually been a pretty good line driver in the right situation but he defers to players who want the puck all the time. Before McDavid was an Oiler his best stretches on the Oilers were away from Hall. His rookie year for example he was definitely the guy driving the bus on his line.

In 2014-2015 Nuge played on a line with Eberle and Pouliot that had a lot of success while Hall was out. Nuge ran that line. It's' no coincidence that his personal scoring rate went up significantly once Hall was hurt. In fact, counterintuitively, his scoring rate was higher away from Hall than with Hall and Higher away from McDavid than with McDavid 5 vs 5 over his whole career.

Again before McDavid came Nuge ran the Oilers pp.

He has always been capable of driving play but has spent much of his career as the defensively responsible guy on his line. And in taking on this role he has often been much too passive offensively.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Meh. He’s obviously having a career year (unless he becomes the new Brad Marchand) on an extremely potent offence.

The reality is that he’s playing exceedingly well (while Connor makes the zone entries and scores 61 goals). However let’s not forget Drai… who has 47g to receive passes and Hyman with 30+

Nuge has benefited huge from McDaddy and hugely from the rest of the Oil as well.

HOWEVER. Numbers show that the other star Oilers receive benefits from Nuge a lot on that legendary PP

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
For those that don't watch the Oilers a lot, it's astounding how good RNH and Draisaitl have been dragging Yamamoto around. They have been dominant possessing the puck in the O-zone and yams just kills plays and wiffs on chances.

IMO this is a Puljujarvi+McDavid or Puljujarvi+Aho thing where RNH and Draisaitl probably produce more 5v5 with a better fit linemate.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Good top 6 player. This season doesn’t change anything for me.

If he was the #1C on any team without a #1C he’d be the same 60-70 pt player.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
A good top 6 forward. He has 50 points (more than half his totals) from the PP with McDavid so his numbers are inflated. He has enough skill to gel with McDavid better than Patrick Maroon and Lucic did in the past. Really just a perfect storm of a historic power play and a career year. I don't expect him to be 100 pts every year but he'll likely hover around 80 from here on in.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
A good top 6 forward. He has 50 points (more than half his totals) from the PP with McDavid so his numbers are inflated. He has enough skill to gel with McDavid better than Patrick Maroon and Lucic did in the past. Really just a perfect storm of a historic power play and a career year. I don't expect him to be 100 pts every year but he'll likely hover around 80 from here on in.
So we get a 80 point guy who excels at special teams, can play W or C, responsible defensively and only 29, signed at 5m AAV? Isn’t that elite on its own? The contract should matter.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ideally he’s your second line center on a good team.
I do feel though that he meshes well with McDrai on the power play.
This really seems like a career year for him and I might add that up until this year a lot of Oiler fans weren’t that happy with his play.

dwonger

Feb 25, 2023
Sure. Good 2nd liner imo. Narrowed to 90 fyi.

ANA: Zegras Terry
ARI: Keller Schmaltz
BOS: Marchand Bergeron Pastrnak DeBrusk
BUF: Thompson Tuch Skinner
CGY: Huberdeau Lindholm Kadri
CAR: Aho Svechnikov Necas
CHI:
COL: Landeskog MacKinnon Rantanen Nichushkin
CBJ: Gaudreau
DAL: Robertson Hintz Pavelski Benn
DET: Larkin
EDM: McDavid Draisaitl Hyman
FLA: Barkov Tkachuk Reinhart Verhaeghe
LAK: Kopitar Danault Fiala
MIN: Kaprizov Eriksson Ek Boldy
MTL: Suzuki
NSH: Forsberg Duchene
NJD: Hughes Hischier Bratt Meier
NYI: Barzal Nelson Horvat
NYR: Panarin Zibanejad Kreider Tarasenko
OTT: Tkachuk Norris Stützle Giroux DeBrincat
PHI: Konecny
PIT: Guentzel Crosby Malkin
SJS: Hertl
SEA: Beniers McCann Eberle Burakovsky
STL: Buchnevich Kyrou Thomas
TBL: Kucherov Stamkos Point Cirelli
TOR: Matthews Marner Nylander Tavares O’Reilly
VAN: Pettersson Miller Kuzmenko
VGK: Eichel Stone
WSH: Ovechkin
WPG: Ehlers Connor Scheifele Dubois
Fixed

ARI: Keller
BOS: Marchand Bergeron Pastrnak
BUF: Thompson
CAR: Aho Svechnikov
COL: Landeskog MacKinnon Rantanen
DAL: Robertson
FLA: Barkov Tkachuk Verhaeghe
MIN: Kaprizov
NJD: Hughes Hischier
NYI: Barzal
NYR: Panarin Zibanejad
OTT: TkachuK Stützle
TBL: Kucherov Stamkos Point
TOR: Matthews Marner
VAN: Pettersson
WPG: Ehlers

Some very close others clearly better, if you take contract in consideration then some more drop off. Most of your picks are troll picks.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
Fixed

ARI: Keller
BOS: Marchand Bergeron Pastrnak
BUF: Thompson
CAR: Aho Svechnikov
COL: Landeskog MacKinnon Rantanen
DAL: Robertson
FLA: Barkov Tkachuk Verhaeghe
MIN: Kaprizov
NJD: Hughes Hischier
NYI: Barzal
NYR: Panarin Zibanejad
OTT: TkachuK Stützle
TBL: Kucherov Stamkos Point
TOR: Matthews Marner
VAN: Pettersson
WPG: Ehlers

Some very close others clearly better, if you take contract in consideration then some more drop off. Most of your picks are troll picks.
Thanks for the feedback. Not going to lie, after reevaluating I was definitely reaching on some choices. That being said RNH should definitely not be above…

Buchnevich, E.Lindholm, Nylander, Eichel, Forsberg, Miller, Fiala, Hintz, Meier, Tavares, Bratt, and Nichushkin

After the top 50 he may have a case but I am still hesitant to take him over any of the following forwards given their track records.

Thomas, Kyrou, Connor, Scheifele, Dubois, Huberdeau, Tuch, Skinner, Reinhart, Schmaltz, Kopitar, Danault, Eriksson Ek, and Stone (if healthy)

Ultimately I think Nugent-Hopkins falls around 65 followed by…

Suzuki, Necas, Kuzmenko, Terry, Hertl, Nelson, Giroux, Pavelski, Kadri, Beniers, and Konecny

Reactions: Aqualung and Regal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad