How do you rate Travis Green’s first year?

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Rookie coach given crap to work with was another Jim Benning brilliant idea.Did it work,,only if you wanted to flounder in the bottom of the nhl standings.I am not a Green fan at all.
Bringing in Baumgartner as a defence coach,,very smart,,from a guy who,s best days where playing in the AHL.Im not a fan of really anything Benning and Linden are doing for this team except the drafting,,even thats had its moments..
I give Green a D grade right now...

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You think the greatest coach of all time, who coached for literally decades, didn't adapt to changes in the game? Just with that basic knowledge that he coached that long you would see that isn't a defensible statement.

From Hockey CanadaThe quintessential coach

Now as for the tenor of coaching, you might be correct. He was a relentless guy. But even that softened over time, as you'd expect for anyone.

I was responding to the merits of coaches adapting their system to their players rather than coaches adapting their system to account for changes in the game. Those are two different things.

I'm not saying that you don't make adjustments based on the personnel, but there's a huge difference between making adjustments based on personnel and fundamentally changing the system employed or way of playing based on personnel. To be clear, a coach should absolutely adapt their system and way of play to account for changes in the game. That should be the blueprint for a coach. You don't draft a blue print based on the players you have unless you are such a brilliant coach that you can maximize whatever players you are given. The chances are, you coach the way you think is required to win in the league. If you don't have puckmoving Dmen you tell your forwards to come back a bit more. You don't tell them to come so far back that there's essentially no chance for a breakout. If you have an elite goaltender, you might be more aggressive offensively, but you don't play loose defensively simply because you have the best back there.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Personally, I've watched more than a dozen Canucks games as my second team and I thought he upped their intensity since taking over and he put his players in most cases in the best chances to succeed. He had a high volume of injuries and dealt with them and the call up's fairly well. I would take him in a heart beat over Housley who is a slug.

Reactions: canuckslover10

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Just to play devil's advocate; if Green can't be properly or fairly judged due to the state of the roster, why is it fair to throw Baumgartner under the bus and blame him for that awful D-corps.

I don't even necessarily disagree, it just seems like a double standard.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Hard for me to rate because the team he works with isn't very good and I honestly haven't watched the team enough to have an informed opinion.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Green at least deserves more time. He's certainly better than WD, but who isn't?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Just to play devil's advocate; if Green can't be properly or fairly judged due to the state of the roster, why is it fair to throw Baumgartner under the bus and blame him for that awful D-corps.

You may want to take a second look, because from what I can see, nobody in this thread has absolved Green while throwing Baumgartner under the bus.

The only post that came close was this one:
He gets the purple participation ribbon. He tried but the results are not there.
I do not have confidence in Baumgartner. The defense has taken a step back this year. Would like to see a more veteran assistant there.
I really like Travis as a person and want to see him succeed for what it’s worth. Willing to give him a mulligan this year as the lineup is putrid and it’s his first year. Without noticeable improvement next year I won’t be so willing to look the other way.
... which has more to do with confidence/good-will on a write-off year than assessment.

Last edited:

ItalianCanuck1

Italian Canuck
Mar 8, 2016
Italy
How would you rate Cloutier and Baumgartner? I don't think one player under their guidance has exceeded expectations...

Obviously they didn’t met the expectation.

Nilsson came here as a possible 1B, he played like a solid backup. Nothing more.

Marky had to estabilish himself as a proven starter.
He didn’t. The skills are undeniable but he didn’t fix inconsistency and early goals problem.

As you said, talking about dman, nobody has improved.
Hutton loses his confidence and Stetcher is a worst player if you look at his stats.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Obviously they didn’t met the expectation.

Nilsson came here as a possible 1B, he played like a solid backup. Nothing more.

Marky had to estabilish himself as a proven starter.
He didn’t. The skills are undeniable but he didn’t fix inconsistency and early goals problem.

As you said, talking about dman, nobody has improved.
Hutton loses his confidence and Stetcher is a worst player if you look at his stats.

Reading the provies now, he may have fixed this. His SV% is improved since the all star break.

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Green at least deserves more time. He's certainly better than WD, but who isn't?
How is he "an upgrade on Willie"? We have 63 points in 76 games....last year we had 69 points in 82 games. Are we good for 6 points in our remaining 6 games? Hard to say but we might need to score some goals....which seems to be a bit difficult now...but hey, we have a lot of "foundational" pieces! Travis has also benefitted from Boeser's 29 goals, something Willie was not fortunate enough to have. Sure, there have been injuries, as there were last year and as there are for every team, every year. Bottom line is, we do not have enough skill and neither Willie nor Travis is responsible for that......but I am hard pressed to agree that Travis is a definite upgrade on Willie....the results speak for themselves!

Reactions: Zippgunn

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
No young players showed much Improvement or any this year. Ex Baertschi, Grandlund, Hutton, Stecher, Gaunce, Goldobin, Virtanen

First 20 games or so pp was horrible. Green finally made changes by putting 4 best forwards on the same unit. Why did it take so long for the change? Don't most teams put there best forwards on the same unit?

3 on 3 ot. At times still use both Sedins at the same time. Willie was actually better than Green in this area. Lot of times he Put Daniel with Sutter. You can't put both Sedins at the same time 3 on 3.

Markstrom was a clear cut number 1 but he never earn it. Nilsson has 2 shutouts in first 3 games. Nilsson should of been getting more starts early on. When there is no clear cut number 1, You should go with the hot hand. When a goalie is hot, you don't sit him on the bench.

Only good coaching move by Green was that he used Sutter properly. Which is out against top lines and lot of defensive zone faceoffs and no pp time.

Reactions: Zippgunn

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa

Simply because it seems that Green can develop forwards (Virtanen being the most obvious example) and some of our promising defenders regressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad